View Single Post
Old 24-01-2014, 12:57
wakey
Forum Member

I use a standard Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 to read ebooks and I configure it like this:

Those of you who donít happen to be productivity obsessives may have missed this one, but last night, Lifehacker posted a really simple trick thatíll give your tablet or smartphone screen an appearance similar to that of an E-Ink screen Ö sort of.
http://www.teleread.com/e-ink/wishin...k-now-it-does/

One of the advantages of a tablet is that it can also be used to play audiobooks as well, e.g. from Libraries West and Librivox.
Unfortunately while it may visually look like eInk it doesn't result in the benefits that eInk because the screen is still backlit so is more prone to cause eye strain still and most importantly it shines light directly into the eyes which reduces the brains production of melatonin and impacts sleep

The only advantage of EPUB is that anybody can sell you a DRM-ed book, because there's a unified public way to do it. This allows for a separation of a device and content provider. I'd say device manufactures might be tempted to go for Amazon model and be both, but none of them is such an imperium like Amazon, which also had a head start and is now where it is because of it. Amazon is the only one that can legally provide DRM-ed content for Kindles. There are places where you can buy non-DRM content for Kindle, so they rely on kindness of their customers not to share their books with other people.
There isn't a unified way of doing DRM in the ePub format. The standard includes the provisions to bolt DRM into it but there isn't a set DRM technology as part of the standard. The retailer has to employ their own DRM system be it a commercial one or a custom one
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote