Film 'stars' you thought were going to be massive, and really weren't

Comments

• BarbraBarbra Posts: 15,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tribute wrote: »
    Are you being mischievous?! I can't think of any of Wentworth's performances that would give the idea that he was on his way to superstardom.

Yes, I was :D

spot the link?
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jeff_vader wrote: »
    Fonda (Mrs Danny Elfman) really wasn't that interested in being a star, like Bana. Family mattered more.

Fonda was already retired when she became romantically involved with Elfman.

She was interested in being a film star, but certain incidents in her personal and professional lives at one point had her deciding to retire in 1999. She didn't outline those incidents but regarding her career, she hinted at being pressured over her appearance and age, which had her being offered almost nothing but unsuitable roles. Once she made her decision, she still had to fulfil the remaining agreements, so she worked until she could retire in 2000 or 2001. She shared this story at a Women in Film event a few years ago.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jonathan Taylor Thomas.

I know that he quit Home Improvement to concentrate on his education but after The Lion King I thought he would go on to become massive.

Haley Joel Osment is currently still massive but that's just his waistline.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love him brilliant in Prsion Break, was hoping to see more of him.

Me too.

He was the star of Prison Break & because he was so good, I assumed that big success would follow, but it just hasn't.:confused:

It's a shame really.
  • Daily DreamsDaily Dreams Posts: 1,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sarah Michelle Gellar to an extent! I know she had a few good films alongside Buffy but after her pregnancies I expected her to come back as a star again. Sadly that's not the case and the stuff she has done has disappointed :(
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sarah Michelle Gellar to an extent! I know she had a few good films alongside Buffy but after her pregnancies I expected her to come back as a star again. Sadly that's not the case and the stuff she has done has disappointed :(

The Grudge was a hit but after Buffy it just stereotyped her in horror films. She should have done straight drama afterwards.
  • brumiladbrumilad Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phoebe Cates retired while on the cusp of moving to the next level. She was moving up headlining smaller mainstream films and really all she needed was that one role in the right film to launch her into the stratosphere.

But she quit it all to raise her family.

And another who retired... Meg Tilly. Though she retired as her star was descending somewhat. But before that she was someone who buzz always surrounded and I think Hollywood had decided Amadeus was going to be her big role. But then her injury led her to have to pull out and while she got some good roles afterwards the buzz had gone somewhat.
  • AraelGrayAraelGray Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    A lot of child stars would fall under this i guess.
    Mara Wilson
    Jonathon lipnicki
    Anna Chlumsky
    Tina majorino

Funny Keanu Reeves became massive after Bill and Ted, whereas Alex winters has never been seen again

True, although he has been directing.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    Hard to believe now in Ghostworld she was the lead and Scarlett Johansson the sidekick.

And out of the girls in The Hole, I would definitely have expected Thora Birch to be a bigger star than Keira Knightley.
  • JudgeFudgeJudgeFudge Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    First name that sprung to my mind was Matthew Modine.

After his superb performance as Joker in Full Metal Jacket he should really have become one of Hollywood's premier leading men, but he never really fulfilled his potential.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yahoo Serious. His debut Young Einstein was a massive hit and then he vanished for years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haley Joel Osment is currently still massive but that's just his waistline.
    Haley sees dead cows and pigs. On his plate. All the time. They don't know they're dead.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brumilad wrote: »
    Phoebe Cates retired while on the cusp of moving to the next level. She was moving up headlining smaller mainstream films and really all she needed was that one role in the right film to launch her into the stratosphere.

But she quit it all to raise her family.

And another who retired... Meg Tilly. Though she retired as her star was descending somewhat. But before that she was someone who buzz always surrounded and I think Hollywood had decided Amadeus was going to be her big role. But then her injury led her to have to pull out and while she got some good roles afterwards the buzz had gone somewhat.

Meg Tilly has made a comeback over the last few years, but that was in television for the show Bomb Girls. With the show now finished, she now has a few film roles in the works.
  • rufus oculusrufus oculus Posts: 236
    Forum Member
    Theresa Russell. Candy Clark.
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Loads of kid stars haven't made the transition to being a successful adult actor.

The Irish actor (I forget the name - Ciaran something?) who was in 28 Days Later and played the Scarecrow in Batman is one I think will go on to become a big star. He's already got a great career, of course, but I think he could go up another level to, say Fassbender popularity. He's a fantastic actor.

I'm not sure if that's what you are after though or if you want someone who hasn't made any impact at all in big movies yet.
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Cillian Murphy is the name.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cillian Murphy is the name.

I've always thought he looked rather creepy. Decent career but he's been around for some time now, I can't see him becoming a genuine A lister.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 336
    Forum Member
    Maxwell Caulfield (Grease 2), Chris Nash (Mischief), Edward Furlong (Terminator 2).
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only other thing I ever saw him (Terry O'Quinn) in was a couple of episodes of The West Wing. I notice his Wikipedia entry has him appearing in 'Braveheart', uncredited, as 'Executioner'!

O'Quinn was also in awesome 1980's The Wild Bunch knock off Young Guns. Horror film The Stepfather, which he was the lead in, was also quite well regarded at the time of release (87).
  • Callum_BrownCallum_Brown Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having recently re-appeared with the Thelma & Louise selfie recreation - what ever happened to Geena Davis?

She had just the charm and appeal of Julia Roberts IMO.
  • FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Diane Kruger?

She is great in The Bridge on FX as Sonya Cross but it's a role which suits her because of her lifeless appearance.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    I suppose some actors are just happy appearing in 1 or 2 films a year getting half million dollars for them, and then just enjoying their lives, without the constant media hassle and attention.

Rob Schnider for example keeps cropping up in films, gets a few bucks and off he goes. He can basically live a normal well to do life. Tom Cruise on the other hand has all that money, but is constantly under the lime light, so he can't really enjoy his money.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having recently re-appeared with the Thelma & Louise selfie recreation - what ever happened to Geena Davis?

She had just the charm and appeal of Julia Roberts IMO.

She did a few comedy films, the stuart little films and did a few short lived television series. Ever since she became a mother, she barely acts anymore which is a shame but i respect her for it. She is one actress who I miss and would love to see make a big comeback.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    O'Quinn was also in awesome 1980's The Wild Bunch knock off Young Guns. Horror film The Stepfather, which he was the lead in, was also quite well regarded at the time of release (87).

He's always been a character actor rather than a star (stepfather excepted).
  • TexAveryWolfTexAveryWolf Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Darwin Joston, Assault on Precinct 13.