Options

Doctor Who - S8E11 - Dark Water - 1st Nov '14 - BBC One (HD) @ 8.15pm

Comments

• Options
    LightMeUpLightMeUp Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent
    Just realised they probably only named her Missy because Mistress sounds sort of dominatrix-y. Sort of suits her in a way.

That and mistress would have been a dead give away.
  • Options
    alphonsusalphonsus Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meh!
    It took me a while to decide to vote 'meh!' but I eventually settled on it. For some reason the episode just didn't get me interested. I was, incidentally completely spoiler-free for this episode.
    The 'OMG they killed Danny' moment didn't get me interested in his fate. The scene with the keys didn't have the impact it could have simply because I was thinking all the way through 'he can still snap his fingers'. The reveal of the Cybermen didn't produce a WooHoo moment and I was completely underwhelmed by the eventual reveal of Missy's identity. I actually thought 'couldn't they have come up with a better/more original idea?'
    Hopefully the second part will be better, otherwise this will become joint weakest finale (with Sound of Drums/Last of the Timelords) in my opinion.
  • Options
    Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also (although they reset-buttoned it later) a lot of people were meant to have been cremated ALIVE in the Time War, I'm not seeing hundreds of 'too far' complaints about that. Even though it's similar to nuclear war, which is one of the most frightening things imaginable!
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LightMeUp wrote: »
    Oh yes of course! Makes the mundane much more interesting. Which is necessary when listening to Pharrel. One continues to imagine.

More on topic, still no Rani. HA.

He produced Hollaback Girl. He gets a free pass forever
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent

Agreed. Its bananas.
  • Options
    sertonserton Posts: 730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good
    alphonsus wrote: »
    The scene with the keys didn't have the impact it could have simply because I was thinking all the way through 'he can still snap his fingers'..

Turned to my other half and said the same thing. Their response, "you don't normally talk during Doctor Who." Think that was a bad sign about that scene.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent

And 4 tracks on Miley Cyrus' Bangerz.

This is a good thing. And I'll argue the toss to those that disagree ;-)
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also (although they reset-buttoned it later) a lot of people were meant to have been cremated ALIVE in the Time War, I'm not seeing hundreds of 'too far' complaints about that. Even though it's similar to nuclear war, which is one of the most frightening things imaginable!

Even New Who has been full of horrific concepts but often in the past they have been dressed up with lots of wacky silly stuff so no one seems to mind. Tonight's episode didn't bother with that and played things pretty much straight which is maybe why some are so upset by it.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Excellent
    alphonsus wrote: »
    The scene with the keys didn't have the impact it could have simply because I was thinking all the way through 'he can still snap his fingers'.

Maybe not if it's locked/double locked even after the finger snapping we have seen him use the key maybe the snap only works when the door is closed rather than locked
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent
    serton wrote: »
    Turned to my other half and said the same thing. Their response, "you don't normally talk during Doctor Who." Think that was a bad sign about that scene.

I was thinking the same. But then it was revealed that the moment didn't really happen and the Doctor was seeing how far Clara would go. :)
  • Options
    alphonsusalphonsus Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meh!
    I'd agree with that!
  • Options
    Old Man 43Old Man 43 Posts: 6,214
    Forum Member
    Excellent
    Quick history question about Cybermen.

They appeared 1st time with Mondas and hat was destroyed, then if I am not mistaken we next see them in the Tombs of the Cybermen and then Moonbase.

Now all of these are set in the future.

As far as I know Invasion comes next, which again is set in the future (at least according to Ian Marter's book) but not as far as the previous 3.

Was there any linkage as to whether the 10th planet was set before or after Invasion?
    The Cybermen from the primary universe were able to time travel.

So that messed up the timeline.

Also we could have a long discussion about the UNIT dating controversy.

I think that originally that all the original series UNIT stories were supposed to take place in the near future (1980's).

However later stores Mawdryn Undead suggests that the UNIT stories took place in the 1970's (in line with when the episodes were aired).

So Invasion is set before the tenth planet which was in 1986.

However a group of Cybermen from the future attempted to change history by destroying earth in 1985.

There was another attack in 1988 in relation to the Silver Nemesis.

The rest of the Cybermen stories are set in the future with the exception of the Cybus Cybermen from the parallel universe.

We don't yet know where the present ones come from.
  • Options
    KoquillionKoquillion Posts: 1,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent
    Has anyone thought (this was on another forum) that maybe it's just 'don't cremate them' because they're trying to turn people into Cybermen? Fairly useless if they've been burned to ashes! :blush:

To me, it's more probable that the screams Danny heard were fake, the little kid an illusion sucked from his subconscious and the threat of pain from cremation a scare story. The aim was to get Danny to accept deletion and let go, thus paving the way for Cyberisation. His body is probably in a dormant Cyberman waiting to be activated.
    Maybe?
  • Options
    sertonserton Posts: 730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good
    Old Man 43 wrote: »
    The Cybermen from the primary universe were able to time travel.

*SNIP*

We don't yet know where the present ones come from.

Thanks, it's been a while since I've read the Invasion (never watched it) and seen some of the others...
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent
    Moffat at last bringing some clout and controversy to proceedings! Easily one of the best episodes he's done since taking over. 'Dark' would be about right. Though people are going way way overboard in their reactions to that...

What made the episode stand out though, above everything else, was the performances. I keep saying 'oh this is Peter's best' every week but it really was this time. Outstanding!

All everyone needed to do was listen to the Doctor. He knew all that crap about death and cremation was a scam. It's the twisted mind of the Master combined with the sickness of the Cybermen.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Excellent
    Voted 'Excellent' as it was, on the whole, excellent.

Capaldi was at his absolute best and Michelle Gomez is a fantastic addition to the cast. I didn't like Seb much but that was a minor objection. The scene with the volcano and the keys was tremendous, and the final ten minutes were utterly thrilling.

The episode looked amazing. I loved the creepy tanks and the skeletons sat on their thrones submerged in sinister blue water.

Plus, so far at least, it actually made sense. I've watched it twice and no doubt I'll watch it again before next Saturday.

I honestly thought Missy was Romana at one point so the reveal did come as a bit of a surprise, even though people had speculated that Missy could be either Clara or the Master.

I'm so glad that we've seen the back of John Simm's travesty. Capaldi and Gomez can have as many episodes as they want together. The show is so lucky to be able to rely on such great talent!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Excellent
    Koquillion wrote: »
    To me, it's more probable that the screams Danny heard were fake, the little kid an illusion sucked from his subconscious and the threat of pain from cremation a scare story. The aim was to get Danny to accept deletion and let go, thus paving the way for Cyberisation. His body is probably in a dormant Cyberman waiting to be activated.
    Maybe?

I think 'deletion' means 'cyberisation' too and everything was designed to get people to delete themselves into cyber bodies. Maybe Danny will actually end up as a Cyberman!
  • Options
    egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think next week will see Danny become a Cyberman,he will inevitably find Clara and be about to DELETE her when he recognises her his internal struggle will result in a cyberman crying(for second time),and somehow destroying the other Cybermen.Ensuring love saves the day as usual :D
    But Clara realizing Danny has gone for good will turn her back on adventures with the Dr and thus her departure.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Average
    egghead1 wrote: »
    I think next week will see Danny become a Cyberman,he will inevitably find Clara and be about to DELETE her when he recognises her his internal struggle will result in a cyberman crying(for second time),and somehow destroying the other Cybermen.Ensuring love saves the day as usual :D
    But Clara realizing Danny has gone for good will turn her back on adventures with the Dr and thus her departure.

shes in Christmas special aint she
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent
    I honestly thought Missy was Romana at one point so the reveal did come as a bit of a surprise, even though people had speculated that Missy could be either Clara or the Master.

During the Time Lady speech, all my thoughts turned to Romana :o It somewhat threw me off The Master suddenly.

Incidentally, worth it for this reaction gif.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Excellent
    Well, that was different to anything we've had this season, by being truly intriguing.

Can't help thinking that a couple of things were rather clumsy, deliberate, attempts at misdirection, designed with the specific thought of "That'll confuse people when we show the spoiler/trailer" rather than because they genuinely added anything to the story.

Particularly liked the bit where Missy Claimed that her boss was The Doctor.
    You just know that, up and down the country, Who fans were going "I KNEW it! I knew it!!!"
    For a few seconds, at least.
    Moffat does know at least one part of his audience very well. :D:p

But yeah, great episode.
    It's almost like the writers for this series had been told to avoid any pre-existing DW canon and it'd left them floundering a little bit and this episode put us properly back in the DW universe.

I'm a little bit worried that it was a bit of a slow-burner and they've left DW with only 45 minutes to save the world next week.
    Maybe episodes like this make a case for bring back 3 or 4 old-fashioned multi-part episodes per series?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Excellent
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    I'm a little bit worried that it was a bit of a slow-burner and they've left DW with only 45 minutes to save the world next week.

I have read that's it's a hour next week I hope it's true 15 mins extra could help a lot
  • Options
    Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    During the Time Lady speech, all my thoughts turned to Romana :o It somewhat threw me off The Master suddenly.

That's who I was expecting her to be as well, or possibly the woman from End Of Time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Excellent
    CD93 wrote: »

:D I think I woke my dog up by laughing too loudly. I love moments like this that are built up for ages and then break, setting fandom alight in the process.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Excellent
    I may be wrong but I'm sure Romana was good so if it was her wouldn't her turning evil have to be explained?