Options

The FA Cup 2014/15

Comments

• Options
    HaydenHayden Posts: 32,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ukcarter wrote: »
    That was brilliant. Proper football played by players who care!

Meaningless guff. What exactly is 'proper football'?
    How many matches do you see played by players who don't care?
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hayden wrote: »
    Meaningless guff. What exactly is 'proper football'?
    How many matches do you see played by players who don't care?

What I think the poster means is, last night as the Warrington Town players arent professional, they carried on giving it there all, through spells of cramp, and being injured.
  • Options
    Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Weston-super-Nightmare's game with Doncaster Rovers just postponed.
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SgtRock wrote: »
    The commentator just referred to "Staines Town of Conference North". Where does he think the North begins - Brighton?

I take it you've never made a mistake when speaking live on TV.
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weston-super-Nightmare's game with Doncaster Rovers just postponed.

Yeah ir which is more common Weston Super Mud
  • Options
    wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will make the point that just because players earn more money in the Premier League it does not mean that they do not care.
  • Options
    Igloo_ManIgloo_Man Posts: 2,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    THFC23 wrote: »
    Interesting Q&A with the BBC head of football. Some interesting points about FA Cup Final Score, FA Cup month and the pick rotation system.

http://sport-onthebox.com/2014/11/06/fa-cup-revamp-qa-with-bbc-head-of-football-mark-cole/

Here's a snippet from the section on the picking process:
    The arrangement is slightly more complicated than the previous ITV deal, in that the order of live match choices for third and fourth pick games, as well as first and second-choice replays, alternates from round three onwards.

I'm not sure that we knew this previously, but it looks like BT will have the first pick of replays on alternating rounds. What we don't know is whether they get the first pick replay in rounds three and five or in rounds four and six, but that's something we'll be able to deduce soon enough.

Presumably this is the first time that the pay TV partner has had any first pick matches (replays or otherwise) since the BBC-Sky deal at the turn of the millennium (that's your cue Steve Williams! :p)
  • Options
    wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know if it is too early yet to talk about the possible 1st round replays to be selected live on TV, but the 1st round matches on Saturday at 3:00pm have now taken place.

Of the 40 ties, 20 of them have now had a winner, leaving the other 20 in some way undecided. Out of the 20 winners, 6 are from League 1, 9 from League 2 and 5 from non league (4 from the conference national and 1 from the Northern Premier League Division 1 North (level 8 in the pyramid.))

Of the 20 ties still to be decided, 2 were postponed today and 12 will take place either later today (Sunday) or tomorrow (Monday.)

Therefore only 6 have gone to replays for definate so far.

League 1 v League 1

Sheffield United v Crewe

League 1 v League 2

Rochdale v Northampton Town

League 2 v League 1

Shrewsbury Town v Walsall

League 2 v League 2

AFC Wimbledon v York City

Non League v League 2

Southport v Dagenham & Redbridge

Non League v Non League

Telford v Basingstoke Town

I suppose it is too early to say but out of those Southport v Dagenham & Redbridge and Shrewsbury Town v Walsall, (although Sheffield United v Crewe might also be picked,) if there were to be no other replays.
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting - the BBC website has Halifax's goal up, complete with Derek Rae's BT commentary.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29976158
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having been part of the BBC team covering Warrington v Exeter on Friday, Robbie Savage is part of the BT Sport team covering today's match between Halifax and Bradford.

It should be a source of concern for all football fans that this man is rapidly being installed as Mr FA Cup by both broadcasters in tandem.
  • Options
    stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,097
    Forum Member
    Jason C wrote: »
    Having been part of the BBC team covering Warrington v Exeter on Friday, Robbie Savage is part of the BT Sport team covering today's match between Halifax and Bradford.

It should be a source of concern for all football fans that this man is rapidly being installed as Mr FA Cup by both broadcasters in tandem.

Not really. It was said in an earlier article that they'd share pundits etc and there's not a major difference between Warrington and Halifax distance wise. Don't know where he lives but probably made sense for him to stay up north and cover both games. Wouldn't really say he's being installed as Mr FA Cup by both broadcasters based on 2 live games, 1 on each channel. If he does 2 live games and a replay in each of the first 2 rounds and something similar later in the competition then maybe, but not after 1 live game for each broadcaster.
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This BBC FA Cup Final Score is excellent
  • Options
    coventrywooocoventrywooo Posts: 3,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This BBC FA Cup Final Score is excellent

yes i have to agree..
    when they go to the reporter, they show action live!!!!
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes i have to agree..
    when they go to the reporter, they show action live!!!!

I really hope they can find a way to continue this into round 3.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah I'm impressed so far, was only expecting 'in vision' if there was an actual event worth showing (ie goal, penalty, red card etc), not every time they go to a game regardless of what's going on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stevvy1986 wrote: »
    Yeah I'm impressed so far, was only expecting 'in vision' if there was an actual event worth showing (ie goal, penalty, red card etc), not every time they go to a game regardless of what's going on.

its very good..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    I really hope they can find a way to continue this into round 3.

From memory, the article that was mentioned earlier in the thread says they'll see how the first 2 rounds go and then make a decision. However with PL games on NYD they expect a large number of Sunday games in R3 for that reason so I reckon they'll do the same for R3. R4 onwards I doubt they will purely because by R4 they're down to 16 ties (maybe 12 by the time live TV games are picked), and obviously R5 onwards it won't happen in my view.
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure everyone in the Final Score gallery will be hoping above hope that a goal is scored live when they just happen to cut to it, rather than on delay.
    stevvy1986 wrote: »

I was the opposite, I thought it would be - and think it should be - 90% action.

I don't want to see Jason Mohammed in the studio or Elidh Barbour or Jonathan Legard in vision as the match is going on behind them, I want to see the match!

Then again, I did base my expectations on NFL's Redzone, so perhaps that was slightly wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jason C wrote: »
    I'm sure everyone in the Final Score gallery will be hoping above hope that a goal is scored live when they just happen to cut to it, rather than on delay.

Yeah agreed. Obviously a penalty gives them a great chance, though you could argue that's a case of "we know there could be a goal" so maybe doesn't count in that sense.

Also loving the random bit of tree in the way of the camera when they showed the Gateshead goal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2 live pens after each other...very good
  • Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    It's different, I'll give you that. Not as good as NFL Redzone though, but different sports and all that.
  • Options
    D4N1EL11D4N1EL11 Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    Do BBC have a live replay in rounds 1 and 2?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's different, I'll give you that. Not as good as NFL Redzone though, but different sports and all that.

yea i dont think you need pundits, when you do this kind of show, and NFL redzone is all action, just like this final score...
  • Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    yea i dont think you need pundits, when you do this kind of show, and NFL redzone is all action, just like this final score...

I think you need a full studio as "scoring plays" are much harder to anticipate in football than in American football.

They haven't gone "in vision" to all the updates though.
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC must be delighted at the huge number of pens early on in these games which has allowed them to show a bunch of goals live!

This format is working pretty well so far.