Options

ITV/ON Digital Refund

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,203
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi,

Sorry if this has been posted before recieved a letter yesterday from the administrators. Outlining that they reckon I was due £20 plus. However they add on 10% for errors, but the catch is folks we only get 2 pence in the pound back from what we are due. So I arrive at the lovely sum of 45p. You can either do nothing and get the money paid into your account or nominate it to be given to one of their charities.

The thing was I wasnt due any money from them. I had cancelled my sub a month before and my box was picked up a week before it all went belly up.

Anyone else get a letter through?

Murray

Comments

• Options
    WiddyWiddy Posts: 2,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I were you I would not worry about it and just ask for it to be sent to your favourite charity. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    I havent had a letter yet but i am owed about £100 ( i bought a prepaid package one month before it went belly up).
    But seeing as i get to keep the box, i aint really that bothered.
    Hmmm due to administration costs we would only get back around 2p in every pound we are owed? Is that legal?
    We paid for services, not anything else so in reality i am still owed that £100, not £10. :eek:
  • Options
    kasgkasg Posts: 4,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm due to administration costs we would only get back around 2p in every pound we are owed? Is that legal?
    Of course it is - that's what administration after a company goes belly-up is all about. There is a strict order of priority for the repayment of creditors. You're lucky to get anything!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by nokiaphilipsbox
    I havent had a letter yet but i am owed about £100 ( i bought a prepaid package one month before it went belly up).
    But seeing as i get to keep the box, i aint really that bothered.
    We paid for services, not anything else so in reality i am still owed that £100, not £10. :eek:

Yep, its perfectly legal - cause the company doesn't have the money left to pay everyone, it will simply pay a percentage of its debts out of the money it has left.

Oh, and you're prolly gonna get the grant total of £2 if you were owed £100! (Might just frame any cheque they send me as I'm owed about £60 so it'll be £1.20!!!)
  • Options
    GlenGlen Posts: 12,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just got a letter - wasn't expecting it as they owe me nothing (BTW the letter looks like some junk mail in an envelope marked "IMPORTANT" so don't chuck it if you want a laugh).

I paid £100 pre-paid sub in March 2001 and nothing else but continued to recieve the service until it stopped on 01/05/02.
    So I got 13 1/2 months access to pay TV services and an STB for a few pence under £100 - so how according to their records they owe me £35.90 I'll never know. Add 10% for error makes it £39.49 so my likely dividend is .... wait for it ... a whopping 79p whoo hoo! :D

But it may be up to two years before he can pay out any divdend, so I think I'll wait for my £0.79 cheque and put £1 in a charity box at work.
    The letter also confirms he sold the STBs to Carlton and Granda who gave them to us for free.

There is a website with some FAQs - http://www.ondigital-in-liquidation.co.uk/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    The disturbing thing is that it must have cost them at least 20p (if second class post) to send these letters to each person that gets one. They could have simply refunded that 20p along with whatever pittance is owed to you with a sensible description so that you would see this on your bank statement as 'REMAINING REFUND FROM ITVDIGITAL' or something like that.

But then I suppose people would be pissed off at getting such a small amount that the letter is probably necessary.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Originally posted by ajwm
    But then I suppose people would be pissed off at getting such a small amount that the letter is probably necessary.
    Yeah, they would have to explain why you're only getting £0.50-2.00 and that it will take two years for you to get it.
  • Options
    DaveRPDaveRP Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    I also received this letter this morning with a refund of 68p, I found it intresting that they have reverted to the ON Digital name, is that due to ITV trying to disassosiate itself with the farce of ITV digital
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The company changed it's name to On Digital 1998 plc. last October - I'm pretty sure it would have had something to do with Granada/Carlton not wanting any more damage done to their brand.
  • Options
    eddieheddieh Posts: 1,611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The worrying thing is to me is, how could they pay for the website.
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I took up ITV Digitals offer where they sent you a monkey if you paid £30 for a year subscription to the TV7 magazine.They went under six months later so when they sent me a claim form for money owed I claimed £15.It was halfway through my billing cycle when they closed,they refunded half a months subs but not the £15! Also I've never had the letter saying I had to return the box or pay £40 for it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by PhilH36
    I took up ITV Digitals offer where they sent you a monkey if you paid £30 for a year subscription to the TV7 magazine.They went under six months later so when they sent me a claim form for money owed I claimed £15.It was halfway through my billing cycle when they closed,they refunded half a months subs but not the £15! Also I've never had the letter saying I had to return the box or pay £40 for it.

First up, most of the people that were owed money didn't recieve a letter demanding £40 for the box. Secondly, Carlton&Granada have bought the boxes between them and given them to the people that currently have them (i.e. You now own your box).

Third, you won't get the £15 back - you'll get around 2% of that amount, same as I won't get all of my £60(ish) prepaid sub that I'm owed, I'll be getting the same percentage. Yours comes to a grand total of 30p, whereas mine is a great £1.20(ish)!!!

Looking at the FAQ (the link was in this thread somewhere), it says the reason we have to wait is that they're still investigating some dealings which (and I quote) "Investigations are currently being conducted with respect to the company's affairs prior to liquidation. These investigations may potentially lead to increased asset realisations. These investigations need to be completed before calculation of a dividend", so we *MAY* get a higher percentage of our debt back. However, don't expect all your £15 back - its not likely.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got the letter, I actually got 2 months full Movies/Sports/F4 free before they went belly up! And they said they owed me £24.99.

My .49p is going to charity....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    Well I'm getting a grand total of 25p!!.

The letter said that they owed me £12 but that doesn't include the subscription to the TV7 magazine. I'm sure that that you add another £15 to the total. I'm not too bothered now since I'm never going to get it back. Sadly my box was returned one day before they went belly up but at least I have Monkey :-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    how will i spend my 11 pence? that'll give me something to look forward to in 2005 :rolleyes:

and the same as some other people, i wasn't actually owed anything, but they said they owed me £4.64. my sub finished and the box was returned a few months before they went.
  • Options
    davey_do_littledavey_do_little Posts: 5,365
    Forum Member
    Wow I beat the lot of you - due £2.14 back! I have no idea why, I thought I'd had a good few months out of my pay up front deal. Maybe I lost track of time with the hours spent trying to programme the old gold card (oopssss). Anyway, my box 'disappeared' as soon as they went pear shaped incase they came knocking.

Anyone know if we earn 2 years' worth of interest before we get paid????
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 430
    Forum Member
    i never got any letter about a £40 demand for the box. i got the money i was owed with regards to my subscription when it was terminated part way through the month. i'm quite happy about my situation post-itv/on digital.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    I got the shock of my life this morning when I opened my OnDigital letter, with a cheque for £126, cause I renewed my annual prepaid subscription in the month before ITV Digital went into Liquidation...

I really wasn't expecting anything, and I also get to keep the box, which is a bit of a bonus all round! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I too got my 'refund' today - the princely sum of 73p!

That's going to charity I think :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Can anyone explain why when my friend pre-paid for an ondigital box that he had for a couple of years previous to liquidation they are saying they owe him £100 or so? (Get back £2!)
    Is it just dodgy records? He says they owe him nada!
  • Options
    NoDOGsNoDOGs Posts: 1,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dunno, did he ever watch it? I never bothered to activate my pre-paid box so maybe they'll think they owe me the full monty? Either that or nada, I'll bet. I don't have a letter, anyway. nd
  • Options
    kevinwilsonkevinwilson Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    Can anyone explain why when my friend pre-paid for an ondigital box that he had for a couple of years previous to liquidation they are saying they owe him £100 or so? (Get back £2!)
    Well, I'm only owed about £3, but they seem to think they owe me £120! Shame that only works out as £2.60 in the end... It's good to see that their record keeping is no more reliable in administration than it was before :)
  • Options
    iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well I got my letter this morning - very surprised, given that I cancelled OD in August 2001 when we moved and switched to cable.

apparently owed 46p - did wonder why I'd gotten this letter, but not the previous one asking for the £40 for the box - although from a previous post that was down to the fact that they (thought they) owed me money.

Iain
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I also got a cheque this morning - for £123 (promptly deposited in the bank before they changed their minds!)
    Still can't quite believe it :D
  • Options
    davey_do_littledavey_do_little Posts: 5,365
    Forum Member
    why are some ppl getting over £100 when they offered me 2 quid odd and said it could take 2 years? (not that I'm bitter of course lol)