• Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Of course not.
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As she is such a perfectionist I would say no, but she was a perfectionist in continuing
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

On a side note though, it has made me laugh that I read that since Wednesday night ticket searches for her next tour has apparently risen LOL

Yeah, this made me laugh too, because there are currently NO tour tickets on sale at all! Details of her world tour are not being released until Monday.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,363
    Forum Member
    I don't think she did. She looked shocked when it happened. And as we all know, she's a terrible actress ;-):D
  • Options
    kyleeekyleee Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    Even if she did, it only got her to number 26 in the charts!
  • Options
    AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She sounded quite shaken once she got back up so I doubt it was planned.
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    AdzPower wrote: »
    She sounded quite shaken once she got back up so I doubt it was planned.
    Did she? I thought she was miming.

I'm in two minds regarding the fall being deliberate. Whether it was an accident or not, the fall was the best thing that could have happened to her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abarthman wrote: »

I'm in two minds regarding the fall being deliberate. Whether it was an accident or not, the fall was the best thing that could have happened to her.

This is how it works. All artists have a backing track playing as they perform. They can choose to lip-sync over it so the backing track is at full volume, or they can have turned down and sing live over it. Madonna sang live over it. You could hear that she was singing live. Her voice was very wobbly after she got up.
  • Options
    donna255donna255 Posts: 10,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I heard the thump as she landed. I doubt it was a stunt.
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    This is how it works. All artists have a backing track playing as they perform. They can choose to lip-sync over it so the backing track is at full volume, or they can have turned down and sing live over it. Madonna sang live over it. You could hear that she was singing live. Her voice was very wobbly after she got up.

this is complete shite.folk like madonna who are limited in musical and vocal ability may do this, but most artists don't
  • Options
    Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unique wrote: »
    this is complete shite.folk like madonna who are limited in musical and vocal ability may do this, but most artists don't

A lot of artists who are dancing a lot use backing tracks, not because they lack singing ability but because it's hard to sing and dance a lot at the same time. Lady Gaga uses them all the time. So do non-dancing artists like Mariah Carey who is known for her great singing. It's a lot more common than you realize except for rock bands where great singing isn't really the point.
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I meant like Janet Jackson's at the Superbowl.

And that was a disaster for her. It killed her career.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kyleee wrote: »
    Even if she did, it only got her to number 26 in the charts!

??? The chart isn't announced until tomorrow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

When artists perform on TV shows or televised events, ALL of them have backing tracks. Studios/sound wouldn't be big enough or loud enough to cater for TV broadcasts otherwise. I agree, in concerts, not all artists do. Even Paul McCartney had a backing track at the Olympics - and he missed his cue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When artists perform on TV shows or televised events, ALL of them have backing tracks. Studios/sound wouldn't be big enough or loud enough to cater for TV broadcasts otherwise. I agree, in concerts, not all artists do. Even Paul McCartney had a backing track at the Olympics - and he missed his cue.

Not all. Most do but there are some that don't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    Not all. Most do but there are some that don't.

The BBC apparently insist on backing tracks because it is cheaper and more space efficient than setting up large amps, a full band and such like. But, I'm not 100% certain, so cheers for pointing out what you did.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC apparently insist on backing tracks because it is cheaper and more space efficient than setting up large amps, a full band and such like. But, I'm not 100% certain, so cheers for pointing out what you did.

You're right. It depends on the set up of the studio. And it also depends on how well the artist can sing. Some stars can sing so effortlessly they don't need a backing track.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    You're right. It depends on the set up of the studio. And it also depends on how well the artist can sing. Some stars can sing so effortlessly they don't need a backing track.

Those with voices of angels are rarely on TV these days though. Madonna has admitted that she is far more comfortable and confident with a backing track. She isn't the worlds best live singer, not by a long chalk, but she is one of the worlds best live entertainers. I think that's what people forget sometimes. Madonna likes to entertain people. How she does it is irrelevant, as long as she's doing it! I can imagine stars like Barbra Streisand and Shirley Bassey being absolutely horrified at the prospect of singing over a backing track!
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    floog wrote: »
    But this is Madonna we're talking about. Are you not a bit cynical about it?

No, she is in her late 50s, a fall like that could have been serious
  • Options
    jadebutterfly96jadebutterfly96 Posts: 1,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abarthman wrote: »

What kind of human being would wish such mishap upon anyone.....:o
  • Options
    jadebutterfly96jadebutterfly96 Posts: 1,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Most solo pop and RnB artists do. Even Beyoncé who often ad-libs over a rather loud backing track.

If you're a rock act then of course you don't use a backing track. It defeats the whole purpose of having a band!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackol wrote: »
    No, she is in her late 50s, a fall like that could have been serious

You do really she's not an OAP? And she's in great shape. I am sure it was painful though. Anyone would think 56 is old and frail from the way you describe it.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a wrestling fan, I can say if you were going to fake a dive like that you would have done it on a level surface, they certainly wouldn't have done it on stairs where she could have easily broken bones. Ergo, not faked.
  • Options
    Kenny MacleanKenny Maclean Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wasn't there complaints made in the 90's when TOTP recorded "live" versions of the music, I'd keep using library videos, you never see who will grab their attention.
    I may be mistaken, but I seem to remember the BBC receiving complaints about the tracks not sounding like the single.
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gigi4 wrote: »
    A lot of artists who are dancing a lot use backing tracks, not because they lack singing ability but because it's hard to sing and dance a lot at the same time. Lady Gaga uses them all the time. So do non-dancing artists like Mariah Carey who is known for her great singing. It's a lot more common than you realize except for rock bands where great singing isn't really the point.

what you say may be true

what my reply was in response to was someone saying something about "All artists "