Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 65)

Comments

• Options
    A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Smacks of desperation. They're hardly doing it because last Saturdays screening was a smash-hit.

Gotta keep the Dr Who brand propped up at all costs.

With DW all ready over six million there not desperate, they are showing two back to back as a feature film a good idea.

XF is repeated there and on ITV2.

It's a good story and may hock younger viewers in.

At Christmas DW has had a repeat and both rate well.
  • Options
    simonk243simonk243 Posts: 3,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    It is true for X Factor as overnights for this year are down on last year, so consolidated ratings for this year are down on last year. It's great when you add 50% but you're adding 50% to a lower number compared to the previous year.

Yes agreed but there still seems little recognition on this thread for the consolidated ratings.

People are happy to slate low overnight figures but not acknowledge many shows can end up with some respectable figures even if there are down on previous years.
  • Options
    MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    Media Pack is up for the new Josh Widdicombe Sitcom starting on BBC Three in November, following on from the popular comedy pilot

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2015/josh?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_press_office&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=corporate

It looks like it might be ok for a few laughs, as long as it works of course
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,698
    Forum Member
    Channel 5 Programme Information: w/c 10th October

New and Returning:
    * GPs Behind Closed Doors (New Series- [HIGHLIGHT]50 Episodes[/HIGHLIGHT])
    * Secrets of the Scammers (New Series)
    * Autopsy: The Last Hours of Joan Rivers (New)
    * Parker [2013] (Movie Premiere)

Plus... new to milkshake!:
    * Wissper (New Series)

Source: C5 Press.
  • Options
    Ray TingsRay Tings Posts: 6,816
    Forum Member
    Wednesday 25th December 1996

1. ONLY FOOLS AND HORSES (BBC1, 21:00) 21.31m
    2. EASTENDERS (BBC1, 20:30) 17.05m (plus 7.28m for repeat)
    3. FILM : JURASSIC PARK (BBC1, 18:30) 15.72m
    4. THE VICAR OF DIBLEY CHRISTMAS SPECIAL (BBC1, 22:00) 15.15m
    5. AUNTIE'S ALL-NEW CHRISTMAS BLOOMERS (BBC1, 17:40) 13.45m
    6. NEWS AND WEATHER (BBC1, 22:45) 10.96m
    7. CORONATION STREET (ITV, 19:00) 10.32m (plus 1.26m for repeat)
    8. ANIMAL HOSPITAL GOES WEST (BBC1, 16:50) 9.87m
    9. THE QUEEN (BBC1, 15:00) 9.64m
    10. HEARTBEAT (ITV, 21:00) 9.5m
    11. NOEL'S CHRISTMAS PRESENTS (BBC1, 15:10) 9.3m
    12. DES O'CONNOR'S CHRISTMAS NIGHT WITH THE STARS (ITV, 19:30) 8.53m
    13. KEEPING UP APPEARANCES (Repeat) (BBC1, 14:10) 8.2m
    14. NEWS (ITV, 20:55) 7.72m
    15. NEWS (BBC1, 16:40) 7.52m

FILM : DENNIS (ITV, 17:25) 6.76m
    THE TREASURE SEEKERS (ITV, 15:10) 2.88m
    THE QUEEN (ITV, 15:00) 1.73m
  • Options
    JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simonk243 wrote: »
    Yes agreed but there still seems little recognition on this thread for the consolidated ratings.

Depends on whether it benefits the BBC or not.
  • Options
    JetsonJetson Posts: 13,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ray Tings wrote: »

7 million difference between Corrie and EE - incredible seeing figures like this. 12 million difference if you include the repeat.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the fact ITV press haven't tweeted the rating for Corrie Live suggests they were expecting more.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Markynotts wrote: »
    Media Pack is up for the new Josh Widdicombe Sitcom starting on BBC Three in November, following on from the popular comedy pilot

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2015/josh?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_press_office&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=corporate

It looks like it might be ok for a few laughs, as long as it works of course

I do get the feeling that comedy will be moved to BBC One or BBC Two soon following next weeks announcement.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A.D.P wrote: »
    With DW all ready over six million there not desperate, they are showing two back to back as a feature film a good idea.

XF is repeated there and on ITV2.

It's a good story and may hock younger viewers in.

At Christmas DW has had a repeat and both rate well.

Spin it however you want. It's panic stations over at Portland Place. 6m aggregated inc. catch-up for a season premiere is very poor. Going to look even more foolish parachuting these unscheduled Sunday repeats in after tomorrow night's ep underperforms.

The review of last weeks on C5 today was bad and they previewed tomorrow's ep as well and gave that a slagging too.

Time for Moffat to sling 'is hook.
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the fact ITV press haven't tweeted the rating for Corrie Live suggests they were expecting more.

The whole build up, the scheduling did the show no favours, but the evening as a whole was pretty poor in my opinion. People pop in to ITV these days, for soaps and a few brands-but they don't stick with it.
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spin it however you want. It's panic stations over at Portland Place. 6m aggregated inc. catch-up for a season premiere is very poor. Going to look even more foolish parachuting these unscheduled Sunday repeats in after tomorrow night's ep underperforms.

The review of last weeks on C5 today was bad and they previewed tomorrow's ep as well and gave that a slagging too.

I'd agree that was a weak overnight but I think we need to wait until the consolidated figures plus iPlayer viewings are in before making a final judgement. DW was one of the earliest shows to do good business on catch-up and who knows what it's doing now?

As for Moffat - there'll be no DW next year in any case, so the BBC has a bigger immediate problem. What happens beyond that remains to be seen: but, as deeply flawed as Moffat's era might be (IMHO - he's forgotten the mainstream audience), some of the alternatives being floated are way more terrifying (Chibnall, Gatiss … :o:o:o)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ray Tings wrote: »

Majestic OFAH performance, Heroes and Villains with its famous Batman segment was all over the press in the following days-and the next episode pretty much matched that figure iirc-before the "final" one leapt higher.
    Coronation Street was severely dented on the night by Jurassic Park and may have induced a few foolish "on its last legs" comments.
    Thanks again for the figures.
  • Options
    JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    People pop in to ITV these days, for soaps and a few brands-but they don't stick with it.

Which is a shame because it's desperate just having one flagship channel in the UK. That equals little diversity and little choice even though BBC One has a wide range of programming.

ITV is quickly sliding into C4 and C5 territory. Yes, its a long way off, but look how fast the decline seems to have happened over even just the last five years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »
    I'd agree that was a weak overnight but I think we need to wait until the consolidated figures plus iPlayer viewings are in before making a final judgement. DW was one of the earliest shows to do good business on catch-up and who knows what it's doing now?

As for Moffat - there'll be no DW next year in any case, so the BBC has a bigger immediate problem. What happens beyond that remains to be seen: but, as deeply flawed as Moffat's era might be (IMHO - he's forgotten the mainstream audience), some of the alternatives being floated are way more terrifying (Chibnall, Gatiss … :o:o:o)

I have no idea, but who do you think would be a good fit for Doctor Who?
  • Options
    russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could it to do with them destroying BBC3 before it gets approve of the move online next week? Like the dump of Orphan Black at 01:30 in the morning.

I read a theory of what they may be doing with this apparently mad scheduling here... http://www.adambowie.com/blog/2015/09/channel-scheduling/
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Spin it however you want, indeed.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JordyD wrote: »
    Which is a shame because it's desperate just having one flagship channel in the UK. That equals little diversity and little choice even though BBC One has a wide range of programming.

ITV is quickly sliding into C4 and C5 territory. Yes, its a long way off, but look how fast the decline seems to have happened over even just the last five years.

There is actually better stuff on Channel 4 and 5 these days, But the trouble is with Channel 5 is that they never promote the good stuff.
  • Options
    Neil_NNeil_N Posts: 6,026
    Forum Member
    Could it to do with them destroying BBC3 before it gets approve of the move online next week? Like the dump of Orphan Black at 01:30 in the morning.

That should be on at 9/10pm - it's bloody good, Better than the endless Russell Howard repeats from 2011 - not being funny, but would the jokes and that still be relevant after five years? The landscape of the country has changed much since then. The only way to get it off the air, could resort to dirty tactics ;)
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    JordyD wrote: »
    Really is ridiculous, 2 hours of soaps on one channel on a Friday night.

The thing is, people will watch.

It would seem desperate for a digital channel, never mind one of the top two.

Following on from 2 hours on Wednesday makes it even more ridiculous. Proof if ever it were needed that ITV is redundant of ideas 7-9pm weekdays.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no idea, but who do you think would be a good fit for Doctor Who?

I think for the good of DW in attracting the mainstream audience, the BBC should ask Russel T Davies again, although I imagine he will be reluctant to do it.
  • Options
    jsam93jsam93 Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »

I'm quite the fan of Steven Moffatt and think the criticisms that are made of him on forums like these are usually baseless, illogical and over-the-top. Having said that, i don't see what's so terrifying at the prospect of Chris Chibnall or Mark Gatiss being show-runner. In actual fact, I think Gatiss would be perfect.
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasn't The Two Ronnies the show of the week on BBC2 in 1975? Odd that it wasn't on BBC1.

Yeah, but it was a different era and lots of light entertainment programmes were shown on BBC2 and then repeated on BBC1, and also vice versa. I've said it before but I've got a Radio Times from 1975 where on BBC1 at 8pm is The Two Ronnies first shown on BBC2 and then on BBC2 at 9pm is Morecambe and Wise first shown on BBC1. And of course the Monday 8pm slot opposite Panorama on BBC2 which got enormous ratings and was probably a better slot than some on BBC1.
    However brilliantly the Coronation Street cast and crew did on the night, the live status didn't bring much of a casual audience with it and the show isn't what it was 5 years ago. ITV has so strangled its weekly schedule with soaps that they have lost a chunk of their potency, and celebrates its birthday with yet more so that the remaining audience doesn't expect anything else and isn't going to give the time of day to its 9pm drama and its long lost news brand. Not much comfort there imo.

The other thing too is that there have been a lot of live soaps recently, it seems every time there's an anniversary to mark, there's a live episode. Even I watched the live Corrie in 2000 because it really did seem a big occasion, but now there's been loads of them. Perhaps they need to think of another way to mark big occasions. They might be better off doing one in the style of the sixties in terms of its staging.
    kwynne42 wrote: »
    I know they got rid of him for being a "bit Sexist but look at Benny Hills repeat ratings ITV must have been bonkers to get rid of him.

Well, they got rid of him eight years after that, by which point his ratings had indeed gone down quite a bit. A lot can happen in eight years, consider The X Factor Exhibit A. Of course the thing about Benny Hill is that he died three years after ITV dropped and he was undergoing something of a renaissance and ITV were already repeating his shows and were just about to rehire him.
    Does anybody know how repeats of Eat Well For Less and Bake Off do on Sunday afternoons on BBC1? I ask because from this weekend they're being replaced by Doctor Who repeats. These weren't in the schedule before. Interesting don't you think?
    Usually I'd say that makes sense. But then the repeats were suddenly scheduled for this Sunday. Which is surprising.

Bake Off is actually being repeated on Saturday afternoon instead. It's true to say England vs Wales was planned for this weekend ages in advance but a lot of decisions in television are still made very much by the seat of their pants, so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that it was only the other day someone at BBC1 put two and two together and realised Doctor Who would be going up against it and its only repeat was six days later, and perhaps they should repeat it a bit earlier in a slightly more prominent slot.

There have been other examples of shows getting unscheduled repeats in odd circumstances, during Wimbledon in 1998 Top of the Pops ended up getting shunted to a very late slot because of Tim Henman so they hastily arranged a daytime repeat for the following day.
    Majestic OFAH performance, Heroes and Villains with its famous Batman segment was all over the press in the following days-and the next episode pretty much matched that figure iirc-before the "final" one leapt higher.
    Coronation Street was severely dented on the night by Jurassic Park and may have induced a few foolish "on its last legs" comments.
    Thanks again for the figures.

At the time it did genuinely feel like Corrie was going down the dumper, I think that was its lowest rating for years and there were lots of thinkpieces in the papers about how it was no good anymore. It was a pretty weak show at the time, funnily enough the producer wasn't especially popular, and it had just gone four days a week and they seemed to be struggling with the new pattern with plots being stretched to breaking point, it took a while for them to get used to it. But than Brian Park turned up and he changed everything around and it was back on form.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [highlight]The time is here; the week one schedule of Season 32 of the DS Ratings Prediction Game is here!

How will new comedy The Kennedys perform alongside Have I Got News For You? Will From Darkness take control of the 9pm Sunday 9pm slot? Could the Pride of Britain Awards to themselves proud? How will Strictly and The X Factor affect each other? Could All Star Mr. and Mrs make an impact on the Wednesday 8pm slot? Why not have a go and predict how these shows and more will do next week?

Just click [/highlight]HERE[highlight], hit reply, delete the quote marks and get predicting.

Thank you and best of luck to everyone who takes part!

:)[/highlight]
  • Options
    garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    Watched the soaps for the first time in quite a while
    Hollyoaks just seems like its made up on the day
    Corrie is trying to hard...comedy of errors with them trying to clear the cellar and contrived "suspence"
    EastEnders it seems they've realised they've cocked up the Lucy storyline so are now just going fullforce into wrecking every character involved. Lets not start on killer Ronnie and the guy from 90's MTV
    No wonder the ratings are lagging, funnily enough though i never watched Emmerdale which seems to be at least holding the imagination of its fanbase and keeping a steady rating
This discussion has been closed.