Options

Andy's children's books

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,561
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Apologies if this was posted before but just stumbled across this
https://www.facebook.com/OliverJohnBedtimeStories/
Don't think he mentioned it in the house, don't recall it being aired anyway.

Comments

• Options
    SkyrahSkyrah Posts: 14,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oh WOW, Andy is Oliver John :o

I had no idea, I bought a couple of his books for my Grand Kids for Xmas just gone...

Thank you so much OP.
    Yet another string to Andy's bow, what a talented man :)
  • Options
    DLcastoffDLcastoff Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was an article in the Belfast Telegraph after he left the BBC about him. He said he wrote books for his nephews and nieces and thought he would try expanding on that so obviously he has begun that process.
  • Options
    Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe he was embarrassed to mention it given he was in the same house with a literary giant....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_2_14?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=lateysha+grace&sprefix=lateysha+grace%2Caps%2C165
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aww how cool. Go Andy
  • Options
    scottishmagscottishmag Posts: 3,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    talented guy
  • Options
    nattoyakinattoyaki Posts: 7,080
    Forum Member
    Wow, really interesting, thanks a lot OP!

Obviously it's too much for many parents but £100 for a bespoke original personalised hardback book by someone half decent is a steal :o The only downside is that there weren't many pictures for the age range he seems to be aiming for, but that'd increase the price a lot for the illustrator and printing.

It must be a real labour of love and he obviously adores kids! In fact I wonder why he didn't go for a career in kids TV? Surely there are still children's programmes that have articulate, intelligent presenters, or have they dumbed those down totally now too?
    Cheetah666 wrote: »
    Maybe he was embarrassed to mention it given he was in the same house with a literary giant....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_2_14?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=lateysha+grace&sprefix=lateysha+grace%2Caps%2C165

:D
  • Options
    DLcastoffDLcastoff Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nattoyaki wrote: »
    Wow, really interesting, thanks a lot OP!

Obviously it's too much for many parents but £100 for a bespoke original personalised hardback book by someone half decent is a steal :o The only downside is that there weren't many pictures for the age range he seems to be aiming for, but that'd increase the price a lot for the illustrator and printing.

It must be a real labour of love and he obviously adores kids! In fact I wonder why he didn't go for a career in kids TV? Surely there are still children's programmes that have articulate, intelligent presenters, or have they dumbed those down totally now too?

:D
    It is my understanding that he does the illustrating himself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DLcastoff wrote: »

no wonder Chris Wright adores him... they have a lot in common.

Mmmmmmm maybe I should have kept one of the books for myself instead of giving them both to my Grand Kids ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DLcastoff wrote: »

If he does, wow! So it'd be a question of time and possibly the extra printing costs for colour pages.

I suppose though the initial (cheap) cost is subsidised by the other copies that are sold (they do have ISBN numbers and barcodes) (?). Do folk think he sells many?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If he does, wow! So it'd be a question of time and possibly the extra printing costs for colour pages.

I suppose though the initial (cheap) cost is subsidised by the other copies that are sold (they do have ISBN numbers and barcodes) (?). Do folk think he sells many?

they're not cheap, off the shelf books.
    I bought two books (the same) about a Tiger that cost £35 each, really nice books too.

The bespoke ones are a lot more expensive which is understandable.
  • Options
    KT_DogKT_Dog Posts: 6,385
    Forum Member

Ha ha!

ANDY: I've written a book.
    LATEYSHA: Yes apparently I have too.
  • Options
    John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    But Andy's probably read a book too whereas Lateysha.....:(
  • Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kiddies books...

Why am I not surprised...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Skyrah wrote: »
    they're not cheap, off the shelf books.
    I bought two books (the same) about a Tiger that cost £35 each, really nice books too.

The bespoke ones are a lot more expensive which is understandable.

Thanks, very interesting :) Is he well known as a writer?

If he's only selling the bespoke books to the one family then that really is very cheap indeed, easily below minimum wage level, it must be such a labour of love for him.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If anything it demonstrates that he is creative and productive in his own time compared to so many regular BB housemates.

I remember being harsh about him in the first couple of weeks of BB, but the more time went on the more I learned about him and appreciated him. To the point where when he finished fourth I was disappointed. Especially as Jackson placed above him. No justice really.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kiddies books...

meaning ?
  • Options
    Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kiddies books...

I don't know, why aren't you surprised?
  • Options
    Gwaed WaedlydGwaed Waedlyd Posts: 5,401
    Forum Member
    Great person. I miss him all ready :(
  • Options
    PDHPDH Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ha,ha. Brilliant. :D
  • Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Skyrah wrote: »
    meaning ?

Meaning for an intellectual giant which he thinks he is, I would have thought he'd have written a 100,000 word history of political upheaval in the 20th century.

Instead it's a tiger came to tea.:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Meaning for an intellectual giant which he thinks he is, I would have thought he'd have written a 100,000 word history of political upheaval in the 20th century.

He's never said that, nor implied it imo. He's just said he was better educated than some of the other HMs and he expressed infuriation at some of them only talking about bottom implants and which C-listers they've met.

I'm in the middle of a 25 000+ word thesis on the nature of reality that Hawking is at least six months (probably more like a year) behind (as he's slowly admitting). And others came to this knowledge way before I did. It doesn't stop me enjoying the 'simple' pleasures of sitting in the sun, admiring the beauty of plants, or (most precious to me) bringing a smile to a young child's face. Far from it, it makes all these things all the more important. Nor does it stop me posting 'meaninglessly' on here.

But, don't take my word for it. Go and read 'children's books' from the likes of Tolkien, C.S. Lewis and E. Nesbit, open your eyes and your mind, and read the ones that resonate three or four times (or however long it takes for you to realise what they really are about) - you may learn something.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm in the middle of a 25 000+ word thesis on the nature of reality.

How do you know you are?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    KT_Dog wrote: »
    How do you know you are?

A splendid question, thank you! :)

The short answer is that I have it in front of me and every sentence proves every other sentence, I am not sure there has ever been a proof like it (that has been publicly released). Hawking is years if not a lifetime behind (as he now grudgingly concedes, and yet he is still some kind of academic 'authority' lol).

The alternative short answer (there is no existence possible without duality) is that I'm completely wrong on all counts, and this forum and everything posted here, in fact the whole world and all world history, wars, and past, present, and future pain and suffering, are all in my head, and my own creation. Which to be honest, is a bit too ****ed up for me to contemplate!!! I have personal proof that that is not the case, but nothing that anyone here would believe (or even consider as a possibility) I don't think without reading my thesis and spending years on research.

So, live and let live. Have fun but try to be good :)

Back on topic and having read some of Andy's prose I'm a bit surprised - the ideas and imagination are there but many of the short extracts on his facebook page don't hang together at all imo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A splendid question, thank you! :)

The short answer is that I have it in front of me and every sentence proves every other sentence, I am not sure there has ever been a proof like it (that has been publicly released). Hawking is years if not a lifetime behind (as he now grudgingly concedes, and yet he is still some kind of academic 'authority' lol).

The alternative short answer (there is no existence possible without duality) is that I'm completely wrong on all counts, and this forum and everything posted here, in fact the whole world and all world history, wars, and past, present, and future pain and suffering, are all in my head, and my own creation. Which to be honest, is a bit too ****ed up for me to contemplate!!! I have personal proof that that is not the case, but nothing that anyone here would believe (or even consider as a possibility) I don't think without reading my thesis and spending years on research.

So, live and let live. Have fun but try to be good :)

Back on topic and having read some of Andy's prose I'm a bit surprised - the ideas and imagination are there but many of the short extracts on his facebook page don't hang together at all imo.

I think I'd like to read your thesis. Will it be available anywhere?
  • Options
    trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member

:confused: When did he say that? However there's no reason to imagine it is easy to write kid's books and that their authors aren't very good and probably thick compared to other authors, have you heard of Roald Dahl :kitty: