Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 68)

Comments

• Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    The drop in 2011 for me reflects the catastrophic loss of three of the judges simultaneously and tells the story of an audience not quite getting the same fix.
    I think that was the root of all the problems. Nearly every subsequent screw-up has come about as a direct or indirect result of that.

The American X Factor adventure was a brief and not desperately successful one for Cowell. I wonder if he thinks it was all worth it.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Score wrote: »
    They filmed 2 in Autumn 2015 and started filming another 2 about a month ago, presumably for transmission on Bank Holidays etc in 2017.
    Ah, I didn't realise they'd recommissioned it. :)
  • Options
    northladnorthlad Posts: 1,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sunbeam007 wrote: »
    Goodness Gracious Me certainly did. It's fair to say many 'Asians' are angered by CK.

Thats true,speaking to people at work they think its absolutely dire and a embarrassment
    to Pakistani people,really dont think many watch,its just getting the default couple of million who watch anything thats on BBC1.
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought they'd only made two episodes of Maigret?

They ordered two more films after the first one did well and I believe they're filming it at the moment.
  • Options
    Ray TingsRay Tings Posts: 6,816
    Forum Member
    Tuesday 24 December 1985:

BBC1
    18:15 - Jim'll Fix It for Christmas: 8.86m
    19:00 - Telly Addicts Christmas Special: 15.55m
    19:30 - EastEnders: 15.40m (Source: Corriepedia) (23.40m inc. Sunday repeat)
    20:00 - Kenny Everett's Christmas Carol: 10.21m
    20:30 - A Question of Sport: 10.98m
    21:00 - Terry and June: 8.79m
    21:30 - News
    21:45 - Cagney and Lacey: 7.29m
    22:30 - Val Doonican's Christmas Party: 8.34m
    23:20 - The Good Life Christmas Special (R): 9.59m

ITV
    13:30-15:55 - Film: Close Encounters of the Third Kind (Special Edition) (R): 7.20m
    17:45 - News: 12.65m
    18:00 - Regional news
    18:35 - Crossroads Week's average: 10.60m
    19:00 - Carry On Laughing: 7.79m
    19:30 - Whose Baby?: 6.99m
    20:00 - The Best of Morecambe and Wise: 10.57m
    21:00 - Film: Arthur (Premiere): 10.80m

BBC2
    16:20-18:40 - Film: Dr Dolittle (R): 5.80m
    21:00 - Rush: The Fallow Deer: 3.85m
    22:00-22:30 - Charles and Diana: A Working Year: 4.90m

Channel 4
    18:30-19:00 - The Snowman (R): 6.05m
    20:00-20:30 - Brookside: 5.90m (inc. Saturday repeat)

Thursday 26 December 1985:

BBC1
    13:25 - Film: The Great Escape (R): 8.30m
    16:10 - Disney Time: 9.25m
    16:50 - Final Score: 8.71m
    17:05 - News
    17:15 - Open All Hours (R): 16.01m
    17:45 - Bob's Christmas Full House: 14.00m
    18:20 - The Paul Daniels Magic Christmas Show: 13.82m
    19:10 - EastEnders: 15.20m (Source: Corriepedia) (23.55m inc. Sunday repeat)
    19:40 - 'Allo 'Allo!: 16.65m
    20:30 - In Sickness and In Health: 16.17m
    21:00 - Tenko Reunion: 9.69m
    22:50 - News
    23:05 - Films of the Year: 8.48m

ITV
    10:40-13:25 - Film: The Great Race (R): 6.26m
    14:40 - Film: Superman (R): 10.18m
    17:15 - News and Sport
    17:30 - The Krypton Factor Celebrity Special: 7.31m
    18:00 - Crossroads Week's average: 10.60m
    18:30 - This Is Your Life Special: Joyce Carey: 8.46m
    19:15 - Give Us a Clue: 7.48m
    19:45 - Coronation Street: The First 25 Years: 8.71m
    20:45 - News
    21:00 - Film: Who Dares Wins (Premiere): 14.64m

Channel 4
    19:00-20:00 - Treasure Hunt Special: 3.10m
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone mentioned Deal or No Deal ratings earlier.

Tomorrow is the last ever regular episode of Deal or No Deal - tossed away in a lunchtime dead slot by Channel 4. They filmed it about 18 months ago! It will get terrible figures I expect as most people will not even know it is the very last one.

Though there are then 10 new episodes of a 'send off' Deal or No Deal roadshow that starts Monday and has been put in a 4 pm slot like it used to have in its prime.

But head to head with Tipping Point so not likely to do that well either.

These shows see the game played from a variety of locations - including the Trafford Centre, Eden Project, Windsor Safari Park, aboard a jet plane, up Blackpool Tower, down Wookey Hole and so on! Starts aboard the Flying Scotsman steam train on Monday.

After that - at 7 pm on 30 December - Channel 4 is premiering the first of their new possible vehicles for Noel Edmonds - basically a kind of Swap Shop 2016. In which he appears on a revolving stage and seeks to whip up the audience into bidding for used items such as unwanted presents or family heirlooms being sold off to raise cash for people with a variety of desperate needs and sob stories for their desire to reach the sum set down for the item.

Be interesting to see if it was just DOND the audience got fed up with or Noel.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I notice the BBC return to normal programming on Jan 2nd in the daytime, despite it being a Bank Holiday.

It would have been nice to see a few films.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having recently watched The Booze Cruize on ITV3, is it not worth ITV doing another one of these for Christmas?

Something like this would be perfect for Christmas Day or Boxing Day.
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I notice the BBC return to normal programming on Jan 2nd in the daytime, despite it being a Bank Holiday.

It would have been nice to see a few films.

Bank Holidays don't really get special treatment anymore so it's not surprising it's normal programming.
  • Options
    Tindie_BaisTindie_Bais Posts: 2,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are the listing out for 1st -6th?
  • Options
    SG87SG87 Posts: 236
    Forum Member
    I think that was the root of all the problems. Nearly every subsequent screw-up has come about as a direct or indirect result of that.

The American X Factor adventure was a brief and not desperately successful one for Cowell. I wonder if he thinks it was all worth it.

I'm not convinced losing the three judges was as big a part to play in the drop in ratings as many believe. The earlier rounds that year were doing just as well as the years before it, it wasn't until the second half of the series where the ratings started dropping in the face of increasingly obvious nastiness and manipulation. It probably sped up the loss a little bit, but I still think that year would have been massively down anyway.

When Cheryl returned, the ratings were flat/down, so if people really cared about who was on the panel, that wouldn't be the case, unless Dannii Minogue is actually a ratings powerhouse. It's all superficial and people watch for the overall show, not for the individuals on it. No one is bigger than any programme.
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone mentioned Deal or No Deal ratings earlier.

Tomorrow is the last ever regular episode of Deal or No Deal - tossed away in a lunchtime dead slot by Channel 4. They filmed it about 18 months ago! It will get terrible figures I expect as most people will not even know it is the very last one.

Though there are then 10 new episodes of a 'send off' Deal or No Deal roadshow that starts Monday and has been put in a 4 pm slot like it used to have in its prime.

But head to head with Tipping Point so not likely to do that well either.

These shows see the game played from a variety of locations - including the Trafford Centre, Eden Project, Windsor Safari Park, aboard a jet plane, up Blackpool Tower, down Wookey Hole and so on! Starts aboard the Flying Scotsman steam train on Monday.

My mum has stuck with DOND right to the end, but she's found it a bit hard keeping up with the different times of transmission. The 1.10pm screenings have clashed with the Aussie soaps on C5 that she also watches so I had to guide her to C4+1. That wasn't a problem this week, of course, because the soaps have stopped for Christmas.

Mum is also a fan of TP. I told her DOND On Tour clashes with it but that TP is a repeat. However Mum likes her afternoon dose of Ben Shepherd and the machine so I'll record On Tour and she'll catch up with it over Christmas. Obviously, though, as Mum is not part of the BARB sample, her viewing habits don't affect the ratings.
  • Options
    sunbeam007sunbeam007 Posts: 8,522
    Forum Member
    I've just watched last night's Norton and fair play, it was excellent. I was expecting little since the guests didn't interest me but they made for a funny show.

I've never actually seen Nadiya on TV before so had no idea what to expect from her. She's funny and quite witty, I'm surprised so many people on here seem to dislike her. I can certainly see why the BBC are so fond of her.
  • Options
    RickLopezRickLopez Posts: 14,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With only 3.3 for WDYTYA, what is the lowest limit for when they won't make it anymore?

They'll run of interesting celebrities eventually, granted this series has a better standard than usual, but the interest doesn't seem to be there anymore.

I notice The Sheriffs are Coming has transitioned into prime time factual at 8pm Wednesdays next year. Are the BBC trying to tap into the Can't Pay group that Channel 5 have built up so well? Will there be enough interest on top of that 1.5m to sustain it?

It's good to be back on Digital Spy, my internet broke for a week! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jonwo wrote: »
    Bank Holidays don't really get special treatment anymore so it's not surprising it's normal programming.

BBC1 starting the new series of Silent Witness that night and also ITV launching The Halcyon. (The trailers for The Halcyon have started already and include the launch date.)
  • Options
    sunbeam007sunbeam007 Posts: 8,522
    Forum Member
    ITV have just trailered (during Tipping Point) The Halcyon starting Monday 2nd January.

Martine McCutcheon isn't the best celebrity for general knowledge questions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RickLopez wrote: »
    With only 3.3 for WDYTYA, what is the lowest limit for when they won't make it anymore?

They'll run of interesting celebrities eventually, granted this series has a better standard than usual, but the interest doesn't seem to be there anymore.

I notice The Sheriffs are Coming has transitioned into prime time factual at 8pm Wednesdays next year. Are the BBC trying to tap into the Can't Pay group that Channel 5 have built up so well? Will there be enough interest on top of that 1.5m to sustain it?

WDYTYA was on against Emmerdale and Corrie. Citizen Khan and, I'm happy to say, the brilliant Would I Like To You get re-commissioned with lower audiences than that against Corrie. Also this week's subject, Liz Bonnin, is probably the least famous of the 5 celebrities featured in this first half of the series.

I'm hoping ITV will be screening Midsomer Murders against The Sheriffs Are Coming and will hopefully thrash it in the ratings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On ITV now Go For It Special. Is this really a special edition or just one left over from the last series?

They are advertising for new contestants within the programme so it must have been re-commissioned.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RickLopez wrote: »

Welcome back :)

The BBC have shown The Sheriffs Are Coming in primetime before and it did annoyingly well. 5m+. They have also shown equally bland factual in Parking Mad which has also managed to achieve strangely high ratings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    On ITV now Go For It Special. Is this really a special edition or just one left over from the last series?

They are advertising for new contestants within the programme so it must have been re-commissioned.

Are you kidding? It was under 3m all series. Its a flop. Just like the re-commission of Play To The Whilstle, the mind boggles. :confused:

I do hope they don't waste the BGT lead in again on Play To The Whistle.
  • Options
    RickLopezRickLopez Posts: 14,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welcome back :)

The BBC have shown The Sheriffs Are Coming in primetime before and it did annoyingly well. 5m+. They have also shown equally bland factual in Parking Mad which has also managed to achieve strangely high ratings.

I remember now, but I think that was at 7 and buried away mid-summer. It's a much more prominent slot now in a higher viewed quarter. It'll be interesting to see how it does.
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Week after next they have put the Ricky Tomlinson WDYTYA in a double bill with the well regarded 10 year old Royal Family Christmas special. That is likely to do good numbers given the loss of Caroline Aherne this year.

I think 3 - 4 million for what is basically a factual/history series is not bad enough to require an axing yet considering how many factual shows get less than that these days.

It is on a par with Long Lost Family which I doubt is going anywhere either.

They have also not had much trouble getting celebs to sign up for WDYTYA. Unsurprising given that your options are - do you want to go live in a Victorian slum for a week or two, or eat bugs in the jungle, or break your leg jumping off a hill, or get someone to trace your family history and you get flown around the world to have a holiday in and see the stories that are uncovered and the places where you come from.

If I was a celeb I would not have to think too hard which one to get paid to do. Though as I have done our genealogy research it would be rather dull aside from the link to the Pinkerton detective agency saving the life of Abraham Lincoln (via my GG Grandmother).

Most families have some story lurking if you dig deep enough. The joy of this series is that they usually find it - though occasionally come up dry. Michael Parkinson was reportedly not happy when his research led nowhere interesting enough to put on TV.
  • Options
    lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    Week after next they have put the Ricky Tomlinson WDYTYA in a double bill with the well regarded 10 year old Royal Family Christmas special. That is likely to do good numbers given the loss of Caroline Aherne this year.

And it is The Queen of Sheba too according to Digiguide. A fabulous episode, as well as hearbreaking :(
  • Options
    Aaron_2015Aaron_2015 Posts: 3,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like X Factor have really struggled to get stars for the duets - so far we've had last years winner and Nicole...

Maybe Sharon is performing with her act? :D:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lewiep93 wrote: »
    And it is The Queen of Sheba too according to Digiguide. A fabulous episode, as well as hearbreaking :(

The Radio Times blurb on The Queen Of Sheba says it's from Christmas 2006 but in actual fact it was shown in October of that year.

Nonetheless if BBC1 wants to show an episode in primetime as a tribute to Caroline Aherne, then this is definitely the one to pick. One of the most brilliant episodes of sitcom I've ever seen.
This discussion has been closed.