Nice and not very nice celebrities who you have met

Comments

• NickLangleyNickLangley Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always find it hard to believe Gordon Brown could have a violent streak. He always strikes me as a very pouty sort of man ;) - a touch of the Everards.
  • Tulip19Tulip19 Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched Dennis Skinner in PMQ's asking Cameron a question about ATOS and a constituent of his a Farmer who was told by ATOS he was fit to work and died a few months later "as his cancer eat him away". Ive met Dennis a few occassions at the Commons and always found him charming and approachable, even when he found out I was from Belfast and we had a laugh about NI Politics . So it was so sad to see him today getting very emotional at PMQ's and this Farmer who died ...sums Dennis to a T a very genuine and hard working MP who cares ...dare I say a complete one off.

He's one of the good ones.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have heard of two stories about Edward Heath being awful, and not just his long running feud with Maggie. On one occasion he sat next to a woman and completely ignored her for two hours ( his misogyny was well known) and also ignored the president of the Oxford Union as he didn't share his views on Europe. For all he wasn't that bad a PM, as an individual he struck me as he got older as a bitter, vindictive old man who seemed to dislike anyone that disagreed with him.
  • BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always find it hard to believe Gordon Brown could have a violent streak. He always strikes me as a very pouty sort of man ;) - a touch of the Everards.

A friend of mine told me Gordon Brown opened a mental health drop-in/advice centre in Kirkcaldy and spent lots of time chatting to the patients, asking them about their experiences, how it's affected their lives etc.

Also, the elderly doctor's widow my mother keeps house for twice a week in Kirkcaldy used to babysit him! His father was the Parish minister.
  • Rip the TV EyeRip the TV Eye Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my colleagues at work used to work in television. She said most of the actors she came into contact with were knobs. Craig Charles in particular was vile and an absolute knob.

On the other hand, she said that Albert Finney was absolutely lovely. Apparently, the younger the actor, in general the more unpleasant.
  • fifi_folEfifi_folE Posts: 900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting to hear on Gordon Brown. My father was the consultant in charge of the team that looked after his daughter that died; my dad said Gordon was nice enough but not someone you'd want as prime minister.

A few others that I've met:
    Saw Phil Jupitus this year at the Fringe festival in the BBC area, had a joke with him about 8 years ago, found him friendly and funny. This year he was on his phone, hung up, as someone wanted a picture (perfectly civil) and the went back on his phone.

Paul Zenon, met a few times when at the Fringe, often has people around him and happily chatting to them.

Dave Gorman twice, as has my brother, and perfectly friendly to each of us. Sent me a tweet after the first time as had bad news during left on my voicemail when at his show.

Paul Daniels at the Fringe ten years ago, after he'd finished performing. Pleasant enough and signed my Spanish friend's book, she had no idea who he was till the show.

Kristy Allsop, a few year back, on the Royal Mile - nearly walked into me and carried on with no apology.

Simon Amstell - said hello and polite, was working at the time so didn't have time for small talk.

Blythe Duff, formerly of Taggart, many years ago - rude, turned her nose up at me and thought she was better than that.

A friend met 1D through work and said they were nice lads.
  • Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    She is a true vile piece of scum to rip off a children's charity, as for GB I have another tale that alleges that him and his chief bully were planning on using the image of Cameron's deceased son in a poster campaign to attack Tory benefit policies, I do not share Cameron's politics but if true that is truly sickening that anyone would dare use the image of the deceased son of a political opponent to score political points.

Considering that Brown lost his own infant daughter and was angry when info about his son's cerebral palsy was bandied about by the press, I don't believe one single word of that rumour for a second.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    On one occasion he sat next to a woman and completely ignored her for two hours.

I don't think he was very interested in women...
  • BinCatBinCat Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My sister works at the Treasury and says the opposite: that he was invariably friendly and rather charming to the staff, often turning up with his little boys and chatting to everyone. I know that he has a reputation for being stressed out and moody, but I thought people should know of that side of him as well.

I have a friend who's related to GB's wife Sarah and she says when they've met him at any do's he's been lovely, a bit serious but genuine and was great with all the kids.
  • ClaypioClaypio Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    Met Daniel Radcliffe in a nightclub on the Kings road before the summer. He was quite happy to pose for pictures with people and was very apologetic and polite when he wobbled into me at the bar. He was absolutely hammered which I found funny having watched him talking about being tea-total on Graham Norton a few weeks before .
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have a good family friend who works in the music industry. He's a musician and has worked and toured with a lot of well known singers and bands. A couple of years ago, my mum and I had bought tickets to see Alfie Boe in concert, when she found out this friend was working with him. We met up with him on the night of the show, and he got us backstage before it to meet him. He was so lovely. My mum said to him that he'd better be singing Bring Him Home as that's one of her favourites, and he looked at her completely seriously and said "I'm really sorry, I'm not doing that one tonight." I swear my mum was about to burst in to tears when he said "I'm only joking!" :D He even got my dad a pass to sit with the sound technicians as he didn't have a ticket. My parents have met Tom Jones through this friend too.

Also, my dad works in the finance industry and had done some work for Paul Carrick, and he always gets my dad free tickets to his shows if he ever wants them :)

I met Ledley King - ex-Tottenham footballer - a few weeks ago at a book signing. He was really nice. Also met ex-Tottenham footballer Paul Robinson, and ex-Bolton player Fabrice Muamba (after his collapse) I was there the night that happened (I'm a Tottenham fan) so to meet him was very humbling and surreal. Both he and Paul were very nice too.
  • laineythenomadlaineythenomad Posts: 3,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow what a mammoth thread - I think I may have contributed in the past but can't remember! Anyway....
    When my football-mad OH was about 9 or 10 ('twas a long time ago :-D )he asked Jimmy Greaves for his autograph. "Loveable" Greavesie knocked the book out of his hand into a huge puddle of rainwater and ruined what would have been a priceless collection. What an odious thing to do to a kid :-(

Nice ones I've met are Deep Purple - the whole original line-up including Ritchie Blackmore who was said to be up himself but signed his name on my bag along with the others.
    Also Steve Harris of Iron Maiden - met him at 2 gigs (not Maiden but a band called Stray, the most under-rated band of the 70's but I digress....) He was happy to have his photo taken with me the first time, and to sign the back of it the 2nd time. Really nice, unassuming chap and tiny little bloke too :-D
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    Nice ones I've met are Deep Purple - the whole original line-up including Ritchie Blackmore who was said to be up himself but signed his name on my bag along with the others.
    My husband used to work for Deep Purple's manager John Coletta and he was a lovely, down-to-earth bloke. Years later we had the pleasure of Ian Paice 'helping' us on a pub quiz machine in Shiplake. I stress the word helping as he bloody-well got a question wrong (a music one too) when we were on our way to a jackpot! Nice bloke though.
  • Moody BlueMoody Blue Posts: 5,680
    Forum Member
    We'll I've just finished ploughing through the cabin crew thread and wow.......The Liverpudlian had the most negative comments, what a biatch!
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When my football-mad OH was about 9 or 10 ('twas a long time ago :-D )he asked Jimmy Greaves for his autograph. "Loveable" Greavesie knocked the book out of his hand into a huge puddle of rainwater and ruined what would have been a priceless collection. What an odious thing to do to a kid :-(

B**tard. I heard a very similar story of one of the Gladiators (from the 90s ITV gameshow), who was asked for his autograph by a child in a park and not only wouldn't give it, but threw the child's autograph book in a pond.
  • Danny_GirlDanny_Girl Posts: 2,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liz Hurley was in the year below me at 6th form college. Was in a class with her sister Katie who was a truly lovely person. Short and a bit dumpy - she really lucked out in the genetic lottery didn't she :-)

Liz was going through her punk phase and even then she has a certain aura - everyone knew who she was. Didn't know her personally so can't say if the gossip was true but she certainly had a reputation of being pretty free and easy with her favours.

Lenny Henry's daughter used to go to the same riding school as my daughter. Very quiet and unassuming, used to sit in the cafe with a drink while his daughter was in her lesson - no hint of playing the celeb card at all.
  • CRMCRM Posts: 11,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Cameron at a Conservative party party.

He was nice, very charming. You could sense the power in the room as soon as he walked in.

I'm not a Conservative party supporter but I was sucked in. :D
    Stop posting, David.
  • DaewosDaewos Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    She is a true vile piece of scum to rip off a children's charity, as for GB I have another tale that alleges that him and his chief bully were planning on using the image of Cameron's deceased son in a poster campaign to attack Tory benefit policies, I do not share Cameron's politics but if true that is truly sickening that anyone would dare use the image of the deceased son of a political opponent to score political points.

Of course you do. :rolleyes:
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daewos wrote: »
    Of course you do. :rolleyes:

Grow up :rolleyes:
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My son and his wife have been in Norfolk this week and went on the little steam train from Sheringham to Holt........with Rick Wakeman on board!

My son said there was a BBC film crew there who he appeared to be with. He spoke to Rick Wakeman and said he was very friendly and nice and posed for a photo with my son.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Cameron at a Conservative party party.

He was nice, very charming. You could sense the power in the room as soon as he walked in.

I'm not a Conservative party supporter but I was sucked in. :D

I see. He performs personal favours in order to win people over...;)
  • pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,099
    Forum Member
    Danny_Girl wrote: »
    Liz Hurley was in the year below me at 6th form college. Was in a class with her sister Katie who was a truly lovely person. Short and a bit dumpy - she really lucked out in the genetic lottery didn't she :-)

Liz was going through her punk phase and even then she has a certain aura - everyone knew who she was. Didn't know her personally so can't say if the gossip was true but she certainly had a reputation of being pretty free and easy with her favours.

Lenny Henry's daughter used to go to the same riding school as my daughter. Very quiet and unassuming, used to sit in the cafe with a drink while his daughter was in her lesson - no hint of playing the celeb card at all.

Liz Hurley seems alright, she gets a lot of hate on here, even once replied to a message of hate on here
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frank Skinner- very lovely, kind, chatty and down to earth.
  • laurieloulaurielou Posts: 1,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Danny_Girl wrote: »

I met Lenny Henry last year and he was lovely - very down to earth and no pretentions.
  • Keely_HegartyKeely_Hegarty Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    I have the priviledge of working at a music festival every year and so far every single celeb i've met as been beyond ace.

Noel Gallagher - the nicest friendliest bloke ever and I was drunk and sounding like a stalker as a huge oasis fan but he was beyond ace and had a photo with him.

Bobby Gillespie - Hilarious extremely down to earth even got a lift with him and Alex Clare as we dropped them to a hotel had a right crack and took some of his band mates to a party.

Jake Bugg - bless him a real sweetheart

Chic - I met everyone apart from the legendary Nile Rogers and they were all dead sound I was eating curry with some of them.

Jonathan Rhys Meyers - met him before he got really famous at a night club i recognised him as I knew his brothers absolute sweetheart.

Peter Kaye - met him in HMV chatted and had a right crack with him and he remembered me from his gig from the night before as I had bright red hair lovely man.

Dizzie Rascal was ok but his entourage were the rudest idiots ever so tarnished my thoughts on him.

The Antlers an american band partied all night with them lovely lads.

Loads of DJ's and not got a bad word to say about any of them.