Samsung SMT - S7800 Freesat PVR 1080P

Comments

• grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hillel wrote: »
    I suspect that the Beeb had absolutely no way of knowing what platform had the better performance. How could they, as neither the products nor platform had been built?

The ITV rationale is easier to understand, they simply followed the BBC.

For heavens sake are naive are you, you think that the BBC chose Humax boxes as the test platform randomly, get real it was a decision based on the best platform based on a mutual co-ordination and a beta test programme.

At the time there was basically only the super expensive Panasonic DVD/Bluray kit and the Harvard based boxes with dire build quality.

Before the decision was made do you really think that beta testing had not been tried on the available Freesat+ platforms.

Panasonic might have been a another choice but they screwed up big time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    Currys showing this @ £249 with free home delivery < not sure if they have any though ? :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    Ordered one the other day to arrive Thursday. Fingers crossed!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    It would be great if you could post your thoughts when you receive the new box as I for one am considering this one ! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    I put this up on Joinfreesat site this morning

I have took some quick phone photos and put them on this link

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ztoppe/5570325585/in/photostream/

I will add more later on

There is now about 54 Photos on the above link. I know they are not the best photos but they were took on my phone for speed so to get them up on flickr as soon as I could. So I will say sorry now for some of them, but I hope they help you.
    Forum Member
    Ok my first impressions of it is very very good I like the feel of the remote and it works from any part of the room I am in and from any angle which is good. Plus some of the keys glow in the dark. I have try the remote from 22 feet away and it works fine.

It is very easy to set up and the menu system is fast. I also got Channel 4 HD on the Non-freesat part and did a test recording of what was on at the time and it played back OK.

The iPlayer works well and I had NOT even set up the network yet. The Samsung box find and set the internet network up by itself without me having to do anything apart from pluging the network cable in the back of the box.

YouTube work well and quick also, I had a quick try out and was happy with it.

Now the thing is am I happy I got this? Well at the moment that will have to be a big YES as what I have seen so far is very good.:)

But remember I have only had this for a few hours so far.
    So that is my first impressions.
  • GaseousClayGaseousClay Posts: 4,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for those ztoppe, and welcome to the forum.
  • nexstarnexstar Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    Excellent work ztoppe :) .

Where did you get yours from? I've got one on order from Laskys who price-matched the Currys price but I don't know if it has shipped yet.

Have you tried recording from the buffer yet for a program which has already started?

Many thanks for the photos :) .
    Forum Member
    I order my from Currys on Sunday teatime and received it before 10am today which is faster then I had expected. Less then 48 hours post free too. so just cost me £249.

No I have not tried recording from the buffer yet for a program which has already started? (I have been out working) but in the User Guide it says you can do it.:)

I will be trying a recording from the buffer on a program which has already started to see if it will record back to the start of that program.

Hope the photos are helpful
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    Thank you ztoppe for the photos and first report!
    I see non-freesat is switched via menu settings > service mode and that you recorded ch4hd that way.
    I’d love to know as soon as you can give it a try;
    1. if you can set up timer recordings in non-freesat
    2. whether these can be epg or manually set?
    and eventually …
    3. whether there is any auto-switching between modes if you set recordings in both modes
    4. any key pages for the more advanced operations you can photograph from the manual that supplement the set of photos you linked to.
    Forum Member
    nexstar wrote: »

Have you tried recording from the buffer yet for a program which has already started?

Many thanks for the photos :) .

Now Been tested

I put it onto a channel before the program started and then waited until it was around 20 mins into the program.
    Then I press record and a menu pop up giving 3 choices so I pick the first one "record program" and then waited until the program and recording finish.

Now 1 of 2 things can happen here
    1. did it just record from where I had press record in the program missing the first 20 mins.
    or
    2. did it use the buffer and added the missing first 20 mins.

Well when I went to play it back it had recorded from the beginning of the program, so using the buffer to record from.

So we now know that this is working on this box:D
    Forum Member
    @rozet

I have seen your post here and over at joinfreesat

I am doing no more testing tonight as there are things on TV that people want to watch at the moment:)

I will check out what you ask for when I am able to.
  • terryklterrykl Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    does it record 2 channels at the same time?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Hi ztoppe
    Thanks for the reports so far. I have been considering this unit or the Humax FoxsatHDR. Would be interested in knowing if recordings can be copied onto external storage via the USB port.
    As an aside. I managed to embarrass some Comet employees (not difficult). I asked if they had any of the s7800 in and was told Samsung do not do freesat recorders ! Look on your own website said I. Apologies ensued.
    None in stock with the warehouse until the 30th.
  • nexstarnexstar Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    ztoppe wrote: »
    So we now know that this is working on this box:D
    Thanks for checking it out, that's very good news :)
  • Z3manZ3man Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    ztoppe,

please could you give me your opinion on how noisy the unit is, is there much hard drive, fan or power supply noise.

your thoughts would be much appreciated as i hate noisy boxes

thanks
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks interesting.

A couple of questions for new owners.

1. Can it load the program guide and still let you see and hear the current TV channel?
    2. Can you dim or turn off the front display?
    3. Does it support "Suggestion" series link record (as used on some chn4 programs)
    4. Does the manual say what the power consumption is in low power standby?
    5. Does it really do 1080p and if yes does it change BBC1 HD to 1080p?

Many thanks

Automan.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi ztoppe
    Thanks for the reports so far. I have been considering this unit or the Humax FoxsatHDR. Would be interested in knowing if recordings can be copied onto external storage via the USB port.
    As an aside. I managed to embarrass some Comet employees (not difficult). I asked if they had any of the s7800 in and was told Samsung do not do freesat recorders ! Look on your own website said I. Apologies ensued.

£249.99 at Currys and other DSG outlets.

Search on samsung freesat as they don't have the model number in its name!

Automan.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    Automan wrote: »
    Looks interesting.

A couple of questions for new owners.

1. Can it load the program guide and still let you see and hear the current TV channel?

Picture appears in top left hand part of guide.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    waynejac wrote: »
    Picture appears in top left hand part of guide.

Cool, the primitive Humax HDR has to stop showing real-time TV and sound for 45/60 seconds to receive the program epg data when you press the guide button.

Thus I have ordered one.

Curry's product code is 389445.

Automan.
    Forum Member
    It also plays AVI's but I cannot get it to play MKV files.
    Forum Member
    Hi ztoppe

To be fair to the Currys store teams, A lot is happening at this time with new products, the stores are not ranged for the PVR yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Already asked but I don't see the answer...

Can it record two things at once?

Their Website used to say
    Twin Tuner (Watch 1 channel and record another)

EDIT:
    On the cache of their Technical Page it says

Dual Recording Scenario
    Series Recording Scenario
    Timeshift Buffer Scenario

Not sure if the following link will work to the google cache copy.
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:6cwx1VUUZUcJ:www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/set-top-box/set-top-box/SMT-S7800/XEU/index.idx%3Fpagetype%3Dprd_detail%26tab%3Dspecification+/search%3Fhl%3Den%26q%3D%2Bsite:samsung.com%2BSMT-S7800%2Btech&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&source=www.google.co.uk

Automan.
  • bramblebramble Posts: 533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    waynejac wrote: »
    It also plays AVI's but I cannot get it to play MKV files.

Have you tried playing other types such as MPG, MP4, ISO, VOB? (Probably expecting too much.)

Also does it allow recordings to be copied to a USB drive and is the EPG scrolling faster than the Foxsat-HDR and without the jerkiness?