Internet on load

cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I recently re-installed my PC and it all works fine but I am running into a little problem. Internet works fine, but it takes an absolute age to connect, whereas in the past, as soon as Windows was up, so was the Internet.

Is there anyway to make the PC register the Internet connection as the first thing it does? Some of the startup items are failing as there is no Internet for the update check?

Ta

Comments

• flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    cat666 wrote: »
    I recently re-installed my PC and it all works fine but I am running into a little problem. Internet works fine, but it takes an absolute age to connect, whereas in the past, as soon as Windows was up, so was the Internet.

Is there anyway to make the PC register the Internet connection as the first thing it does? Some of the startup items are failing as there is no Internet for the update check?

Ta

how is your computer connected to the internet?
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you know whether the problem is the connection between your computer and your router, or between your router and your ISP?
  • cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a Virgin Superhub, connected via ethernet.

There is no actual problem, Internet works fine, it just takes an age for Windows to realise there is an Internet connection there.
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It could be a driver issue.
    Even an ethernet port needs the correct driver to work, and it may be your network adaptor is using a generic driver, after re-installation of Windows, rather than a more efficient specific driver.

Go into Device Manager and see if it's using the most up to date driver.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cat666 wrote: »
    It's a Virgin Superhub, connected via ethernet.

There is no actual problem, Internet works fine, it just takes an age for Windows to realise there is an Internet connection there.
    Is there an led on the router to indicate when it has fully established the connection to the ISP?

Can you access the router's admin functions immediately or is that subject to the delay?

In other words, can we get some evidence to tell us which of the two connections is being slow to establish itself?
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    emptybox wrote: »
    It could be a driver issue.
    Even an ethernet port needs the correct driver to work, and it may be your network adaptor is using a generic driver, after re-installation of Windows, rather than a more efficient specific driver.

Go into Device Manager and see if it's using the most up to date driver.

this would be my first thought too. very consistent with the fact that the OP has just reinstalled windows.

I would say it would be worth a visit to the PC/motherboard manufacturer website.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll check the drivers tonight. The internet is always on. Wifi works, as does my secondardy wired machine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still not 100% sorted but it appears that even though I saw Windows Update doing SP1 it didn't do it, and therefore not SP2 either. I did SP1 last night manually and will do SP2 tonight. So fingers crossed it will sort it.