Olympic stadium shock

MeepersMeepers Posts: 5,502
Forum Member
8 years after the bid was won, 8 years since it became obvious what the only long term solution would be for the stadium. 8 years since idiots started spending millions of pounds on a pointless debate, which everyone with half a an ounze of intelligence knew the outcome of, the stadium is finally, millions of pounds of hardworking taxpayers pounds later, West Ham have the stadium.

Never mind the G4S scandal, the real scandal of the games were how they threw away millions of pounds on this debacle, when the outcome was clear from the start

Comments

• Mark FMark F Posts: 53,857
    Forum Member
    Leyton Orient fans won't be happy ,nor some of the Hammners or non-football fans either I suspect but it seems after all th messing around this was the only option open in terms of making sure the stadium didn't turn into a "white elephant"

At least they are keeping the track as some sort of legacy...
  • MeepersMeepers Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    All of those points are true, and all were clear 8 years ago.
  • mlayzellmlayzell Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    Meepers wrote: »
    8 years after the bid was won, 8 years since it became obvious what the only long term solution would be for the stadium. 8 years since idiots started spending millions of pounds on a pointless debate, which everyone with half a an ounze of intelligence knew the outcome of, the stadium is finally, millions of pounds of hardworking taxpayers pounds later, West Ham have the stadium.

Never mind the G4S scandal, the real scandal of the games were how they threw away millions of pounds on this debacle, when the outcome was clear from the start

I feel people after the games have a soft spot for this stadium, it would be a crying shame if it was left to rot and spoil the Olympic glow!

The naterial choice was always West Ham, it sould have always factored in retractable seating to please everyone, I feel this was the reel problem!
  • burnesideburneside Posts: 2,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another £25+ million from the taxpayer thrown into the Olympic pot. Will the costs never end? I can see why London council tax payers are being forced to pay the Olympic levy for another four years.
  • crabstercrabster Posts: 653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why bother spending £150 million to make it usable for football when West Ham will only pay £2 million a year.

Or if the £150 million is necessary to convert it to other uses as well as football is the £2 million a year really going to make that much of a difference? Is it worth all the ill feeling it has caused that a Premier League football club has got a half billion pound stadium for next to nothing.

Seems more money after bad.
  • yesman2012yesman2012 Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Judging from previous games, it was always inevitable that the stadium would either:

a) turn into a massive un-used white elephant

or

b) the taxpayer would have to pay someone to make use of it

Personally, it disgusts me to see west ham pretty getting a free stadium, nothing against them personally, but it is a really bizarre scenario where the public are in effect subsidizing a private company in one of the most lucrative business sector in the world.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think the West Ham deal is perfect (I know Hammers fans who aren't overjoyed by it) but in the current economy I think it was the best option available and the only way the stadium could make money.

There's no doubt that West Ham have got good deal but there was always pressure on the legacy planners to find a major tenant for the stadium and they were the only realistic one out there. Orient aren't big enough and the stadium couldn't make money as an athletics venue alone.
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In an ideal world then a deal would have been agreed back in 2006 with West Ham but they weren't jumping up & down to get into the stadium back then, though i appreciate that West Ham was under different ownership.

The Olympics obviously has an immovable deadline so LOCOG & the ODA couldn't afford to sit around for 2 or 3 years negotiating otherwise we would have been in an Athens type situation with regards to building the stadium & nobody would have wanted that. In addition delays would inevitably have increased the costs even more so you'd have ended up with a far worse deal for the taxpayer. And remember the initial legacy plan for the stadium was to reduce the capacity to 25000 not leave it at 80000.
  • Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    I don't think the West Ham deal is perfect (I know Hammers fans who aren't overjoyed by it) but in the current economy I think it was the best option available and the only way the stadium could make money.

There's no doubt that West Ham have got good deal but there was always pressure on the legacy planners to find a major tenant for the stadium and they were the only realistic one out there. Orient aren't big enough and the stadium couldn't make money as an athletics venue alone.

But it isn't going to make money. The rental income will not come remotely close to covering the conversion costs.

It should have been designed with an already determined future use (like in Manchester). If that was not possible, then it should have been designed as a temporary structure, as some of the other venues were. However, there seemed to be some notion that 'legacy' must mean athletics at the olympic stadium site, and so everything else is compromised to achieve this.

Spurs' idea for the site was a much better option.
  • burnesideburneside Posts: 2,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But it isn't going to make money. The rental income will not come remotely close to covering the conversion costs.

So, despite all the promises to the contrary before the games, we HAVE ended up with a white elephant stadium. And, as ever, the taxpayer is footing the bill. Who couldn't see this coming?
  • OpaqueOpaque Posts: 5,286
    Forum Member
    If you build an stadium that has an athletics track round it of course it is going to be a white elephant, but funnily enough you can't have a wonderfully successful Olympics without one!
    Maybe they should have just knocked it down, but then people would be moaning about the waste of money and lack of resources for major sporting events, like the ones coming to the stadium over the next few years.
  • RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crabster wrote: »
    Why bother spending £150 million to make it usable for football when West Ham will only pay £2 million a year.

Or if the £150 million is necessary to convert it to other uses as well as football is the £2 million a year really going to make that much of a difference? Is it worth all the ill feeling it has caused that a Premier League football club has got a half billion pound stadium for next to nothing.

Indeed .Should have been handed over to West Ham almost immediately .Personally i quite the idea of spacious seating:p
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member

It should have been designed with an already determined future use (like in Manchester). If that was not possible, then it should have been designed as a temporary structure, as some of the other venues were. However, there seemed to be some notion that 'legacy' must mean athletics at the olympic stadium site, and so everything else is compromised to achieve this.

The current stadium is a temporary structure. That is why there is no toilets or facilities inside the stadium.The original plan was to tear it down and leave a small 25k athletics venue. The 150m is to convert it into a permanent structure.

Boris didn't want to tear down a £400m structure. You can thank Ken Livingstone for ****ing up. West Ham did express interest in the stadium 7 years ago but he snubbed them. If he had worked with them then the existing stadium could have been altered for permanent use.

How was dumping the athletics track/legacy a better option??:rolleyes: It was one of the biggest promises made by the UK in order to get the games in the first place! How would Britain ever bid for another sporting event again haven broken that fundamental promise?
    crabster wrote: »
    Is it worth all the ill feeling it has caused that a Premier League football club has got a half billion pound stadium for next to nothing.

Everybody said the same thing in 2002, when Man City got the Commonwealth stadium for absolutely nothing.Not even an annual rent!
    99% of Britain don't even remember the stadiums origins now. Today's outrage will soon be forgotten.
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Opaque wrote: »
    If you build an stadium that has an athletics track round it of course it is going to be a white elephant, but funnily enough you can't have a wonderfully successful Olympics without one!
    Maybe they should have just knocked it down, but then people would be moaning about the waste of money and lack of resources for major sporting events, like the ones coming to the stadium over the next few years.

Thankfully this year a fantastic response to the Diamond League.