godzilla first official trailer( not poor quality cammed or the leaked comic con one)

Alvar HansoAlvar Hanso Posts: 2,542
Forum Member
✭✭✭

Comments

• stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a soft spot for Godzilla, in all the old Japanese ones I saw as a youth he was the good guy fighting off these absurd monsters. He had character and demolished everything by accident. Shame this one will end up being shot to death by some yank military weapon like the last remake.
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks good.

I really liked every aspect of 'Monsters' and I thought what Gareth Edwards did was an amazing achievement.

Looking forward to this.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    Blimey - the CGI dust & cloud software got a good workout, eh.

That looks not too bad actually. Mind you, I quite liked the Roland Emmerich Godzilla :blush:
  • Alien_SaxonAlien_Saxon Posts: 1,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..The problem is, in Japan Godzilla is seen as a near mythological deity, in America the film-makers see him as a giant lizard, therein lied the tragic problem of Emmerich's disaster, this new American attempt had better address this issue otherwise it will get slaughtered by the fans again.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice :)

Gives you just enough of the monster to want a bit more ..
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks very similar to the last one from the trailer.
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    I was very impressed by that trailer and Godzilla is looking like the dark horse at the box office next year!
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ..The problem is, in Japan Godzilla is seen as a near mythological deity, in America the film-makers see him as a giant lizard, therein lied the tragic problem of Emmerich's disaster, this new American attempt had better address this issue otherwise it will get slaughtered by the fans again.

:confused: Where did you pick that up?

No one but kids and hardcore fans gives a crap about Godzilla and the like nowadays. At school, we jokingly referred Godzilla as 'the lethal atomic breath in a monster suit'.

Emmerich’s attempt didn't work because the script was awful, and so cliché-ridden. Granted, Japan's film series are no better, but at least we could laugh at some earnest actors, performing as scientists, who clearly have no idea what they're talking about. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That actually doesn't look that bad. I would watch it. Well, I hope it'll succeed, purely as a f-u to those fanboys at imdb, who have been ripping Gareth Edwards apart (over Monsters) for almost two years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    :confused: Where did you pick that up?

No one but kids and hardcore fans give a crap about Godzilla and the like nowadays. At school, we jokingly referred Godzilla as 'the lethal atomic breath in a monster suit'.

Emmerich’s attempt didn't work because the script was awful, and so cliché-ridden. Granted, Japan's film series are no better, but at least we could laugh at some earnest actors, performing as scientists, who clearly have no idea what they're talking about. :D

Spoken like somebody who knows ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about the Godzilla film series, stick to King Kong, champ.
  • D. MorganD. Morgan Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only problem I'm going to have with this is that creep Aaron Johnson-Taylor.

Other than that, looks great and....BRYAN CRANSTON!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spoken like somebody who knows ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about the Godzilla film series, stick to King Kong, champ.

Aw, did I hit a nerve? :kitty:

Seriously though, that's an overreaction. You do realise, of course, that the Godzilla film series hasn't been popular since the 1980s? Nowadays, the only people who keep it going are kids and hardcore fans. It's a niche genre now. If you still disagree with this, then you really don't know what you're talking about. As for that claim about it being a near mythological deity? Seriously?

But for the sake of peace, let's agree to disagree.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aw, did I hit a nerve? :kitty:

Seriously though, that's an overreaction. You do realise, of course, that the Godzilla film series hasn't been popular since the 1980s? Nowadays, the only people who keep it going are kids and hardcore fans. It's a niche genre now. If you still disagree with this, then you really don't know what you're talking about. As for that claim about it being a near mythological deity? Seriously?

But for the sake of peace, let's agree to disagree.

You're just coming across as an ignorant buffoon, the original movie Godzilla was actually a nod to the atomic bombing of Japan and how Japan had to cope with colossal disaster. It was a very emotionally driven movie and it brought up a lot of real emotions that many Japanese had to face at the time, over the years Godzilla turned into a symbol of hope & perseverance for the Japanese people and by the end of the Showa-era he was given an almost Godlike status in movies, this was more than evident in the millenium era with the movie GMK all out attack where Godzilla is possessed by the souls of those that died during the nuclear attacks once again a nod to the super-natural.

It may not have ever been a box office smash but it has the franchise has always had a very large cult following across the globe and it still does today, this is why many MANY fans of the franchise all agreed that the 1998 American emmerich disaster took the GOD out of Godzilla.

But again it's pointless trying to discuss this with you as you clearly are not a fan of the franchise or have not even watched every movie in the franchise.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    Motthus wrote: »
    I was very impressed by that trailer and Godzilla is looking like the dark horse at the box office next year!
    Looking at the US schedule, it's Warners' big May release sandwiched between comic book epics Spidey 2 and X-Men: DoFT. If it's decent, it should do decent business - a rough rule of thumb for blockbusters these days it seems.
    That actually doesn't look that bad. I would watch it. Well, I hope it'll succeed, purely as a f-u to those fanboys at imdb, who have been ripping Gareth Edwards apart (over Monsters) for almost two years.
    Good point. Monsters didn't quite gel for me but there was obvious talent at work. Hope Edwards puts those cretins noses out of joint.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Looks very similar to the last one from the trailer.

Are you high?!?!?!
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wiseguy100 wrote: »
    Are you high?!?!?!

No..looks exactly like the same rubbish that came before. The trailer has done nothing for me. But then again rubbish films can be entertaining.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're just coming across as an ignorant buffoon [...]

o_0 You decided to call me that because you didn't like the fact I objected to your claim that we see Godzilla as 'God-like' or a 'near mythological deity'? Do you realise that that's like claiming Americans see Superman as a 'near mythological deity' or 'God-like'? I'm pretty sure they don't. We certainly don't with Godzilla.

He's just a popular icon in our pop culture. Same way British people have Tintin, Mickey Mouse, the Famous Five, Six Million Dollars Man, Worzel Gummidge, Star Wars and such in their pop cultural background.

Besides, we already have our own mythological deities, thanks. You know -- Izanagi, Amaterasu, Tsukiyomi, Hachiman, Tenjin and others that have around for, oh, I don't know, quite a few centuries. Those are our mythological deities, not a pop cultural by-product of the 1950s like Godzilla.

Lastly, I've just noticed you joined DS only last September. So I'll let you off the hook for being hostile, for jumping to conclusions, for making erroneous assumptions about me, and for misunderstanding my initial response.

Next time you get in a debate with someone about a film, do refrain from making personal attacks because that's not how DS rolls.
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,108
    Forum Member
    Does seem fairly similar to every other big monster movie. The original Godzilla film felt fresh in the 1950's when this storyline hadn't been done to death but now it needs a unique aspect to it.

*unleashes inner geek*
    What I liked about Godzilla was the social dynamics between him and the other monsters. Not to mention that he had a heart and a personality, he didn't really give a toss about humans but he would protect his land from other monster intruders, so did kind of protect humans by default.
    That's what I like about it anyway. :blush:
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember one with a baby Godzilla, chewing on some monster for dear life to protect it's Dad was so awesome. I think I'm quite cynical now - humans are so evil I feel more empathy with the monsters, must be getting old. Of course this film will be a bloodless PG13 as usual, shame.
  • DisturbedDisturbed Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    Looks to be at least 3 times bigger than the previous film, 'plating' on the back to protect against air-attack, scales, and a rumor going around the nerd-vines that this one possesses the ability to breathe fire. Neat.
  • jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    o_0 You decided to call me that because you didn't like the fact I objected to your claim that we see Godzilla as 'God-like' or a 'near mythological deity'?...
    <snipped>, but you're absolutely right :-). I think in some of the films, he and others might be regarded as 'forces of nature'/semi-deities (perhaps poster was thinking of those islanders who 'worship' Mothra?), but in Japan he was def more a pop culture icon.

Anyway, PacRim whetted my appetite for more kaiju fun and loved the mood of this trailer, which seems to have a lot of the classic beats. Stomped trains, cities on fire, outpowered military, radiation. But with added Bryan Cranston :D. The roar and the almost-upright Gojira was the icing on cake. Can't wait :D
  • Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The trailer was outstanding. It doesn't look like a repeat at all of the 1998 version. This one actually looks exciting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Godzuki in this one?