John Sullivan's 'Dear John'

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't read too much into the premise of the friendships.

Who has enjoyed seeing 'Dear John' again or for the first time due to this thread's existence then? Feedback most welcome.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Who has enjoyed seeing 'Dear John' again or for the first time due to this thread's existence then? Feedback most welcome.

I wouldn't have said "enjoyed" was the right word. I thought it was only certain episodes that were sad but there's a sadness to the whole feel of the show (that is when they're not sniping at each other). It's like watching a "comedy" version of Eastenders. There also seems to be a streak of cruelty running through the show - best highlighted by Louise's joy at turning Sylvia's marriage problem into a sideshow. I'd still rather watch Dear John than Blackadder though as Blackadder's an arrogant unpleasant long-winded bore - even Series 2 (which I thought was the best) isn't as good as I remember it being. Definitely John Sullvian's worst comedy though imo..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't work out why people keep highlighting how sad 'Dear John' is. Amongst the sad trivial lives the characters led happens to be a very funny show.

The worst Sullivan comedy probably was 'The Green Green Grass' in retrospect.
  • fiveinabedfiveinabed Posts: 1,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The worst Sullivan comedy probably was 'The Green Green Grass' in retrospect.

Amen to that!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't get me wrong I liked TGGG but possibly because I love OFAH. Didn't have an issue with the writing, cast or humour it just seemed very stereotypical of what most people would perceive a farming community or rural village to be like.

Anyway I'm still to be convinced about watching 'Just Good Friends' if I'm being honest. The cast doesn't really appeal to me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Anyway I'm still to be convinced about watching 'Just Good Friends' if I'm being honest. The cast doesn't really appeal to me.

It's funnier than Dear John and we're not encouraged to laugh at a bunch of sad no hopers as we are when watching Dear John. The thing that saves Dear John is that despite the sniping and the fact that it's more sad than funny, John, at least, has good intentions so there is an underlying morality to the show which is totally absent in Blackadder who is totally self serving, selfish, and loathesome. Most of the characters in John Sullivan's comedies are likeable but I found it difficult to like many of the characters in Dear John especially Louise, Kate and Sylvia. I think one of the reasons Only Fools and Horses remains the best is that both David Jason and NIcholas Lyndhurst were used to comedy acting. Just Good Friends comes a very close second though.

It's a pity they never got to make a third series of Dear John. It would have been interesting to see what direction it would have taken.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure why you keep referring to Blackadder for? It was written by Richard Curtis/Ben Elton (Rowan Atkinson - for series 1) and to compare John Sullivan's stuff to it is unfair. Totally different pieces of work.

Which reminds me Richard Curtis almost spilt coffee on me when we bumped into other at London Victoria Station last year! I do love Blackadder by the way so I wouldn't have minded lol.

A third series of 'Dear John' would of been ideal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure why you keep referring to Blackadder for? It was written by Richard Curtis/Ben Elton (Rowan Atkinson - for series 1) and to compare John Sullivan's stuff to it is unfair. Totally different pieces of work.

Sorry about that. It's just that there's another discussion topic about Blackadder on the board at the moment and I'm comparing the two sitcoms. Blackadder is vastly over-rated imo and Dear John, for all the faults I keep finding, is vastly under-rated. Even (what I consider to be) Sullivan's worst is far better than what some would consider to be others' best.
    A third series of 'Dear John' would of been ideal.
    As long as they'd have done something to fill out the characters of Louise, Kate and Sylvia. We got to see another side of Kirk but not so with the others.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry about that. It's just that there's another discussion topic about Blackadder on the board at the moment and I'm comparing the two sitcoms. Blackadder is vastly over-rated imo and Dear John, for all the faults I keep finding, is vastly under-rated. Even (what I consider to be) Sullivan's worst is far better than what some would consider to be others' best.

Wished you had posted this earlier! Makes sense now. Well I'm glad your fond of 'Dear John' too. I see your point, I've picked up on faults such as the theme tune doesn't reflect what happens properly etc.

I think it's a matter of personal taste really because I adore Blackadder and have grown to really like the first series. Rowan's character in the second series is probably the worst of the lot but the cast and era it's set in was awesome.
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member

I am tempted to buy a dvd to watch it again. I only vaguely remember it, as i am young- ish :o
    i keep singing the first two lines of the theme tune!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm 22 and don't feel like I'm that young at all. I'm like a 30-40 year old trapped in a 22 year old body..

You wouldn't regret it if you did and the theme tune is certainly catchy!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Curious to learn if anybody went out and brought this sitcom on DVD following the great response it got when I mentioned it in this thread?
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,526
    Forum Member
    Curious to learn if anybody went out and brought this sitcom on DVD following the great response it got when I mentioned it in this thread?

I love Dear John! It's one of my fave 80's sitcoms (I'm old enough to remember it the first time round :o I was a kid though :D) and really want to buy it. It was repeated on GOLD a year or two back, but I wish we could have another repeat. It's one for my 'to buy' list anyway :)
  • paulsh1paulsh1 Posts: 2,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well rather than start a new thread I thought I would give this one a bump.

Looking around YouTube recently I was delighted to find this old comedy in its entirety. Obviously recorded off VHS,and the sound quality a touch ropey it was perfectly watchable.

Not seeing it for over 20 years I thought it may be very dated.

But I was wrong.it was absolutely hilarious and superbly written.

Sad to think that John and Ralphy are no longer with us.

Did anyone else enjoy this?
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,526
    Forum Member
    paulsh1 wrote: »
    Well rather than start a new thread I thought I would give this one a bump.

Looking around YouTube recently I was delighted to find this old comedy in its entirety. Obviously recorded off VHS,and the sound quality a touch ropey it was perfectly watchable.

Not seeing it for over 20 years I thought it may be very dated.

But I was wrong.it was absolutely hilarious and superbly written.

Sad to think that John and Ralphy are no longer with us.

Did anyone else enjoy this?

Yes, John and Ralphy and John Sullivan too :(

I've since bought the DVDs and I still love the show. I think Sullivan wrote it very well and it's not just a comedy, it's got poignant moments too as did Only Fools and JGF.
  • paulsh1paulsh1 Posts: 2,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, John and Ralphy and John Sullivan too :(

I've since bought the DVDs and I still love the show. I think Sullivan wrote it very well and it's not just a comedy, it's got poignant moments too as did Only Fools and JGF.

Indeed,you can see the similarities in the writing with OFAH.

I particularly liked the audience's reaction when the gang were being beaten up in the bar.

Eric went to hide in the toilets and, to the Superman theme, reemerged as Kirk! :D
  • scotchscotch Posts: 10,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh I can remember watching this on TV, just me and my Dad.

It was very good. Very underrated.

a top comedy!
  • david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What was Dear John USA that was on the BBC in the 1990's?

Was it related to Dear John (UK)?
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    david16 wrote: »
    What was Dear John USA that was on the BBC in the 1990's?

Was it related to Dear John (UK)?

Yes, Dear John USA was the American version of the UK sitcom with Judd Hirsch (who had previously starred in the smash-hit sitcom Taxi alongside Danny De Vito and Christopher Lloyd) as their John.

I believe that was why the British version only lasted two series - because writer John Sullivan was too busy working on the US version to write more UK episodes.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 33,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 15/01/18 - 13:17 #121
    This is starting on Drama next Monday afternoon (13:40), not seen it for ages :)
  • Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    It was very typical of the sort of gentle comedies that used to be shown on a Sunday night in the 1980s - Watching was another one, and Agony starring Maureen Lipman.
  • JedikiahJedikiah Posts: 5,396
    Forum Member
    Dear John was as good as Only Fools And Horses in its own way, but i can see why it lacks the appeal. Its theme is rather more dour, and possibly not the subject that would brighten up an evening's viewing, for some. However, it is a wonderfully written observation of what many people go through when their marriage comes to an end. The Kirk character is especially a very sad case, because he isn't quite who he appears on the surface, and i've met quite a number of people like him, who put on a front, to hide their insecurities. John Sullivan was marvelous at picking up on those different characteristics that are so typical of everyday life, and it makes for a pretty compelling show. Ralph Bates is excellent in the central role, and he's great also in the way he reflects a character who is so based in reality, and not simply an exaggeration, or caricature, like some actors may have a tendency to play him.

It is a pity there weren't a few more series, because it would have been fascinating to see how those characters developed. There was a lot of scope in that show, which was never capitalised on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jedikiah wrote: »
    Dear John was as good as Only Fools And Horses in its own way, but i can see why it lacks the appeal. Its theme is rather more dour, and possibly not the subject that would brighten up an evening's viewing, for some. However, it is a wonderfully written observation of what many people go through when their marriage comes to an end. The Kirk character is especially a very sad case, because he isn't quite who he appears on the surface, and i've met quite a number of people like him, who put on a front, to hide their insecurities. John Sullivan was marvelous at picking up on those different characteristics that are so typical of everyday life, and it makes for a pretty compelling show. Ralph Bates is excellent in the central role, and he's great also in the way he reflects a character who is so based in reality, and not simply an exaggeration, or caricature, like some actors may have a tendency to play him.

It is a pity there weren't a few more series, because it would have been fascinating to see how those characters developed. There was a lot of scope in that show, which was never capitalised on.

For me it had the same gentle appeal as The Detectorists.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jedikiah wrote: »
    The Kirk character is especially a very sad case, because he isn't quite who he appears on the surface, and i've met quite a number of people like him, who put on a front, to hide their insecurities. John Sullivan was marvelous at picking up on those different characteristics that are so typical of everyday life, and it makes for a pretty compelling show.

I think we all know a Kirk St. Moritz! And a "Rafe" (Ralph), played by Peter Denyer. The characters were so well-observed and well-written.
  • Tel69Tel69 Posts: 26,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although I was a teenager when this was shown I really enjoyed it. Kirk St Moritz and his "relationship" with Tiger always made me laugh especially he reminded us of one of our neighbours..