The 'prayer and worship' thread

Comments

• smilingcat9smilingcat9 Posts: 220
    Forum Member
    Did God force you to read this thread?

YOu seem to be following the followers here?:confused:

God forces people to go out and evangelise and convert people so in some mystical way have.

Followers are all around Just like there are lots of different people in the world if they (the followers) want to be alone where no one would have dreadful disagreeable opinions, they could always do the commune thing. Tip: Don't drink the Kool aid.;)
  • droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gneiss wrote: »
    I was going to say good luck with that, but too late already...

A genuine question here:

Why would a non believer think anything was worth praying for?

The dictionary definition of prayer is well out of date. You don't need to believe in God to pray. Buddhists pray. Arguably you are praying every time you wish someone well or 'send out good thoughts'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God forces people to go out and evangelise and convert people so in some mystical way have.

Followers are all around Just like there are lots of different people in the world if they (the followers) want to be alone where no one would have dreadful disagreeable opinions, they could always do the commune thing. Tip: Don't drink the Kool aid.;)

I find that a bit unlikely to be honest.
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    The dictionary definition of prayer is well out of date. You don't need to believe in God to pray. Buddhists pray. Arguably you are praying every time you wish someone well or 'send out good thoughts'.

Not how I see it. Wishing them well to me just means you 'hope' they get well. You don't literally believe in wishes. Praying for someone tends to have religious connotations whenever I've heard it said.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP I doubt non believers would think anything needs praying for.

That is something I don't understand, when believers who know I don't believe say they will pray for me.

i know some non-believers get annoyed about it, I don't get annoyed, just find it strange.

I normally say if that is what you want to do. Praying makes no difference, if something have happened or is going to happen then it will, it may make the person praying feel better I suppose,
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I genuinely go into book shops and put the Bible in the horror and fictions section.

LOL, crazy, but about right :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    I'm not one so I don't know for sure, but I think they do.

I'm not 100% sure either - but I suspect the popularist Satanists (Levy's lot) don't pray to Satan.

I think they just have a strong belief in their own ego as the most important thing in life.
  • ishinaishina Posts: 4,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I genuinely go into book shops and put the Bible in the horror and fictions section.
    You need to get down on your hands and knees for Jesus and get ready to receive His love. Open up yourself to Him and let Him enter you. Let Him come inside you and fill you up with His goodness.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    Not how I see it. Wishing them well to me just means you 'hope' they get well. You don't literally believe in wishes. Praying for someone tends to have religious connotations whenever I've heard it said.

I think there's lot's of people who pray who don't necessarily believe in it - they'd like to I guess.

But I was thinking about this yesterday, oddly enough.

If you don't think wishing someone well has any effect, why would you do it? If hoping for something is an empty thing that has no effect on anything, then it's a waste of brain time isn't it?
  • MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am I in the right place for today's atheist circle wank? We've not had one of those for at least ooooooh 15 minutes.
  • lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love to think that this thread will work out. It's a wonderful idea, however my Pro Religion thread I tried not so long ago... well it didn't work. :o:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ishina wrote: »
    You need to get down on your hands and knees for Jesus and get ready to receive His love. Open up yourself to Him and let Him enter you. Let Him be inside you and fill you up with His goodness.

Amen. :)
  • Pet1986Pet1986 Posts: 7,701
    Forum Member
    What i've always found strange is how the some of atheists *on this board* seem to have some kind of superiority complex with absolutely nothing to back it up, it's as if they think their own opinion is so mind blowingly important that we must all stop and take notice of it right now as they save us from our sky fairies. It's almost like reverse missonaries and I find it hilarious. Particularly when you have scientists, doctors, lawyers, teachers, entrepreneurs & heads of multi billion dollar companies who are all clearly beneath the atheist who is infact unemployed sat on his ass at home typing on the internet from his mothers basement or his bedsit paid for by housing benefit..while they are making inroads into science, medicine and daily life whilst being religious.

*disclaimer Im only talking about the kind of atheists on this forum who repeatedly make posts about sky fairies and the "weak" people who follow them.

Why can't they just let people pray without justification and harresment.

ps: edited..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pet1986 wrote: »
    What i've always found strange is how the majority of atheists seem to have some kind of superiority complex with absolutely nothing to back it up, it's as if they think their own opinion is so mind blowingly important that we must all stop and take notice of it right now as they save us from our sky fairies. It's almost like reverse missonaries and I find it hilarious. Particularly when you have scientists, doctors, lawyers, teachers, entrepreneurs & heads of multi billion dollar companies who are all clearly beneath the atheist who is infact unemployed sat on his ass at home typing on the internet while they are making inroads into science, medicine and daily life.

*disclaimer Im only talking about the kind of atheists on this forum who repeatedly make posts about sky fairies and the "weak" people who follow them.

I guess it's because they feel so sorry for us "wasting of lives on a bunch of lies written in a book".
    Forum Member
    lordOfTime wrote: »
    I guess it's because they feel so sorry for us "wasting of lives on a bunch of lies written in a book".

It makes better reading than their posts. :D
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    I think there's lot's of people who pray who don't necessarily believe in it - they'd like to I guess.

But I was thinking about this yesterday, oddly enough.

If you don't think wishing someone well has any effect, why would you do it? If hoping for something is an empty thing that has no effect on anything, then it's a waste of brain time isn't it?

Because of the gesture. You say wishing you well because it's a nice gesture. Are you saying you actually believe it'll work? :D
  • smilingcat9smilingcat9 Posts: 220
    Forum Member
    You need to get down on your hands and knees for Jesus and get ready to receive His love. Open up yourself to Him and let Him enter you. Let Him come inside you and fill you up with His goodness.

That's disturbing :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's disturbing :eek:

Yes I have to agree that post could be very much misinterpreted, if you know what I mean.
  • adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ha ha!
  • adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What i've always found strange is how the some of atheists *on this board* seem to have some kind of superiority complex with absolutely nothing to back it up, it's as if they think their own opinion is so mind blowingly important that we must all stop and take notice of it right now as they save us from our sky fairies. It's almost like reverse missonaries and I find it hilarious. Particularly when you have scientists, doctors, lawyers, teachers, entrepreneurs & heads of multi billion dollar companies who are all clearly beneath the atheist who is infact unemployed sat on his ass at home typing on the internet from his mothers basement or his bedsit paid for by housing benefit..while they are making inroads into science, medicine and daily life whilst being religious.

ps: edited..

What i've always found strange is how the some of the religious folk *on this board* seem to have some kind of superiority complex with absolutely nothing to back it up, it's as if they think their own opinion is so mind blowingly important that we must all stop and take notice of it right now to save us from eternal damnation/whatever.
  • StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

One of the creepiest things i've read on here
    Forum Member
    Yes I have to agree that post could be very much misinterpreted, if you know what I mean.

i thought i was reading 50 shades for a second :D
    Forum Member
    adopter wrote: »
    What i've always found strange is how the some of the religious folk *on this board* seem to have some kind of superiority complex with absolutely nothing to back it up, it's as if they think their own opinion is so mind blowingly important that we must all stop and take notice of it right now to save us from eternal damnation/whatever.

its almost like i touched something in you? maybe a nerve? :D

I think some of the atheists practically cream running to a thread to shout their usual rhetoric & abuse, something you don't tend to see as much from the religious who may just need (as others have said) an appreciation thread to save themselves having to constantly deal with that kind of person.
  • morbidangel101morbidangel101 Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    its almost like i touched something in you? maybe a nerve? :D

I think some of the atheists practically cream running to a thread to shout their usual rhetoric & abuse, something you don't tend to see as much from the religious who may just need (as others have said) an appreciation thread to save themselves having to constantly deal with that[i/] kind of person.

So it's gone from the majority to some now has it? Interesting.

And I've never seen an atheist threaten anyone with eternal damnation for not sharing their beliefs.
  • rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member

:D...