What are you reading at the moment? (Part 4)

Comments

• trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just finished Dead Ever After, the last Sookie Stackhouse book. I'm quite torn, as I can't say either that I didn't enjoy it or that I was disappointed in the conclusion, but I'm not quite satisfied either. It's probably because I am disappointed in how that conclusion was reached.

It is both a shame and a blessing that the series has now finished. It was clear the later books had very little direction and that Charlaine Harris had really run out of ideas.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bloodline-Mark Billingham
  • MissliMissli Posts: 3,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beautiful Darkness by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl. I really enjoyed reading Beautiful Creatures, although have yet to see the film, so had to get the next installment.
  • hobbleithobbleit Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Cheese and the Worms by Carlo Ginzburg

Always meant to read it at university but never got around to it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    I've just started Around The World in 80 Days. I'm sure I read it as a kid, but I can't remember it!
  • jojo2008jojo2008 Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rush of Blood- Mark Billingham
  • SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just about to start "Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn.
  • Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,331,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No Smoke No Fire - Dave Jones
  • dymafidymafi Posts: 775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finished Paul O'Grady's Still Standing .. 3rd volume of autobiography .. Again some brilliantly told tales as in other 2 volumes, but 2+3 could have been edited into one volume. There's a lot of digression and pointless tales that ramble on for pages without reason. On the other hand there's a poignant picture of how the AIDS epidemic of the 80s pervaded the life of the gay community.
    Felt somewhat cheated towards the end of the book .. we're in the late 80s POG is beginning to get some recognition as Lily Savage .. but then we jump to the present day. No explanation of how LS made it into the mainstream .. how POG felt about it having changed in minging toilets for so long .. but it seems the lawyers would have to be involved in the editing .. as the scathing attack on some of his chat show guests suggests. Good read though.
  • Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm about to start The Great Gatsby, looking forward to seeing the new film version.
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Charlotte Link- The Other Child
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    George R. R. Martin - A Song of Ice and Fire Book One: A Game of Thrones. About 70% in and loving it. I thought, since I'd seen the show I better get a start on with the books, not regretted it so far. Looking forward to the ending (since I know what happens from the TV show) and book number two! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    All or nothing - Barney Stinson and Chris Gilder.

It's the story of a UK wrestling promotion called 1PW, it's rise and it's demise.
  • luckylilaluckylila Posts: 3,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark Billingham- Rush of Blood
    jojo2008 wrote: »
    Rush of Blood- Mark Billingham

I thought that book was great - my best crime read of last year.

I'm currently nearing the end of 'Cover Her Face' by PD James. It was her first book (published in 1962) so it has that vintage feel which all her early books have, and which I enjoy as much as the stories.
  • DoohDahDoohDah Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    Re-reading Jane Eyre. One of my favourite books.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,403
    Forum Member
    How I Killed Pluto and Why It Had It Coming by astronomer Mike Brown about his discovery of another small ice world, Eris, which eventually resulted in Pluto being demoted from full planetary status.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    Just finished Now You See Me by S J Bolton, very good, and with a great twist in the tail! I've just started Iris and Ruby by Rosie Thomas, complete change of genre, it's quite good so far. However today I found hidden under some clothes in my bedroom, The Venetian House by Mary Nickson, which has a similar plot to Iris & Ruby - and I haven't finished that one yet either!!! Which one to resume reading now eh, I can see I'm gonna get confused here....
  • James_Barker1James_Barker1 Posts: 324
    Forum Member
    'Tipping the Velvet' by Sarah Walters, it's very gripping and kind of reminds me of Daphne Du Maurier's novels in that sense.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got so many to read, but I've just got the Amanda Knox book "Waiting to Be Heard" off eBay, and I've just started it.
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perilous Question: The Drama of the Great Reform Bill 1832 - Antonia Fraser
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ramblings Of An Actress ~ Sheila Hancock
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Mark Edwards - The Magpies
  • *Eileen**Eileen* Posts: 9,881
    Forum Member
    I'm re-reading all of Raymond E Feist's 'Riftwar Saga' as a lead up to reading the latest and final book, Magician's End, which has just been released - in the last couple of weeks so far I have read:

The Magician
    Silverthorne
    Darkness at Sethanon

Daughter of the Empire
    Servant of the Empire
    Mistress of the Empire

Prince of the Blood
    The King's Buccaneer

Shadow of a Dark Queen
    Rise of a Merchant Prince
    Rage of a Demon King
    Shards of a Broken Crown

Krondor the Betrayal
    Krondor the Assassins

and am currently nearly finished
    Krondor Tear of the Gods

and am about to move on to
    Jimmy and the Crawler

After that there will be anther 14 to go including Magician's End :)
  • andallthatjazzandallthatjazz Posts: 6,413
    Forum Member
    I'm halfway through Night Music by JoJo Moyes.....as usual from what you can expect from JM it's great story so far.
  • PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith, it's not bad but I'm not hooked.