Tennant Knows Nothing About 50th

alienpandaalienpanda Posts: 9,444
Forum Member
David Tennant was a guest on The Jonathan Ross Show last night and he was grilled about Doctor Who’s 50th Anniversary for the nth time.

Despite Ross’ persistence Tennant insists that no one has spoken to him about it and claims he knows nothing.

He adds: “I’ll tell you how terrified they are. In make-up, this lovely lady from the BBC came in and she said ‘I’ve been sent to say that anything about the Doctor Who 50th anniversary must not be mentioned on television.’ That’s how scared they are! I don’t know anything and they’re sending out spies to shut me up from telling you things I don’t know!”

full story & video here

Comments

• CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So Tennant Knows Something About 50th
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »

It's impossible for Tennant to know *nothing* about Doctor Who these days.

;)
  • Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sure, David sure. :D Reminds me of that scene in Fawlty Towers...

Basil: Manuel! Tell them about the horse! The horse I bet on!

Manuel: Ah, ci! I know... nothing!

Basil: :eek: :mad:

Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alienpanda wrote: »
    David Tennant was a guest on The Jonathan Ross Show last night and he was grilled about Doctor Who’s 50th Anniversary for the nth time.

Despite Ross’ persistence Tennant insists that no one has spoken to him about it and claims he knows nothing.

He adds: “I’ll tell you how terrified they are. In make-up, this lovely lady from the BBC came in and she said ‘I’ve been sent to say that anything about the Doctor Who 50th anniversary must not be mentioned on television.’ That’s how scared they are! I don’t know anything and they’re sending out spies to shut me up from telling you things I don’t know!”

full story & video here

I posted about this in the 50th thread - it was a bit more equivocal than the article suggests.

Paraphrasing:
    Ross: have you spoken to anybody and been asked to keep any dates free in your diary, or asked about your availability this year?
    Tennant: I haven't spoken to anybody at the BBC about my availability this year
    Ross: Has anybody who represents you, had any conversations with anybody at the BBC, maybe suggesting you should keep some dates free for holidays, maybe a trip to Wales?
    Tennant: I don't know if I'm going to Wales.
    Ross: So you're gonna film it in London?
    Tennant laughs and doesn't respond.

I thought the answers seemed really careful. I don't think it really reveals anything about whether or not he's going to appear, but the considered responses, and the presence of the BBC representative in his dressing room demonstrate how seriously the beeb are taking it all. To the point of gagging David even though he doesn't know anything!
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alienpanda wrote: »

full story & video here

The word you're looking for is kayfabe, meaning the keeping up of the suspension of disbelief in pro wrestling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kayfabe
  • The Alpha GamerThe Alpha Gamer Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Total BS. He knows he'll be back, we know he'll be back, it's just getting silly now pretending he knows nothing
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    From watching the interview live, I was fairly certain he knew something about it, but of course he's not allowed to say :p
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    CD93 wrote: »

Basically yes.

We'll definitely see him in it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    all we want is Matt to say he hasn't been asked, and we'll have the full set
    it's official. the 50th anniversary will have nobody in it at all, whatsoever
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    bugloss wrote: »
    all we want is Matt to say he hasn't been asked, and we'll have the full set
    it's official. the 50th anniversary will have nobody in it at all, whatsoever

Brilliant.

Well, I most certainly have not been asked (I worked at the BBC for 3 years)
  • bbll22bbll22 Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    Basically yes.

We'll definitely see him in it.

I'm rather hoping this won't be the case because regardless of how big/little his role would be in the special, David will become THE special in the media's eyes. That's something he obviously can't be blamed for but to me, the media, inparticular the Sun who can't grasp the fact he's left, will make him out to BE the show again sadly.

For me, it would really overshadow anything else Moff and co. deal out for the 50th if Tennant did return. I really don't want him back, and if I was the Moff, I wouldn't be asking him back, the same goes for Billie too...

I do look forward to the 50th of course but I'm wary of Tennant's involvement.
  • TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bbll22 wrote: »
    I'm rather hoping this won't be the case because regardless of how big/little his role would be in the special, David will become THE special in the media's eyes. That's something he obviously can't be blamed for but to me, the media, inparticular the Sun who can't grasp the fact he's left, will make him out to BE the show again sadly.

For me, it would really overshadow anything else Moff and co. deal out for the 50th if Tennant did return. I really don't want him back, and if I was the Moff, I wouldn't be asking him back, the same goes for Billie too...

Tennant's Doctor is much too recent to come back, especially as there are so many others from the past who have never been given the chance, like 8. Or Ian. Or Susan who appeared 25 years ago but not since.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

On the other hand, its a guaranteed ratings boost and lots of extra publicity!
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member

I actually do have some similar reservations to what you have too if I'm being honest, but if both David and Billie are in it, then sadly that is what certain media/fans will fixate on more.

For me, having them back is good but not more important than having any other previous Doctor/Companion. I'll be more excited to see Paul McGann or Christopher Eccleston to be honest.
  • bbll22bbll22 Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lulz77 wrote: »
    On the other hand, its a guaranteed ratings boost and lots of extra publicity!

Publicity in the direction of David though - that is my issue....it wouldn't be in the direction of the story as such, and it wouldn't feel like Matt being the main star if Tennant did return as David's return would overshadow it all. It would be like the David Tennant show again for one night only.

There are so many other options for them bring back - David would be a lazy one in my mind.

I trust the Moff in doing a great special (one without Tennant would be wonderful though)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Next up - Moffat denies being approached to write and exec produce a 50th anniversary special.

Then - Ben Stephenson denies being approached to commission anything 50th anniversary-related.

Then - Danny Cohen denies there being any Doctor Who during the 50th anniversary.

Then - the BBC denied there ever being a series called Doctor Who.

Then - we'll be ready to know the truth.

;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Next up - Moffat denies being approached to write and exec produce a 50th anniversary special.

Then - Ben Stephenson denies being approached to commission anything 50th anniversary-related.

Then - Danny Cohen denies there being any Doctor Who during the 50th anniversary.

Then - the BBC denied there ever being a series called Doctor Who.

Then - we'll be ready to know the truth.

;)
    That would be the best PR stunt the BBC could do.
    *emails thread to Beeb* :p
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,467
    Forum Member
    Doctor... Who?

What is this thread?

Why am I here?

Who are all you people!?

I think there must be some kind of memory.. viru... thingy....

What was I saying?........

:D
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like some psychic pollen has got into DS and is making us think there was such a thing as Doctor Who. But it was all a dream......or is the dream that we all now think it was a dream?

Confused? You will be....
  • F1etchF1etch Posts: 4,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is anybody going to be doing the 50th? At this rate even Matt Smith won't have been approached to take part. He will know (negative or positive) what is going on, he just isn't allowed to say. I'm just surprised that he mentioned the BBC lass as that pretty much confirms he knows something. IF they knew for sure he wouldn't be in it, and he knew for sure, they wouldn't have sent someone out to gag him as he would know as much as us...and as far as i;m aware there isn't a BBC lass outside waiting for me going to work to tell me not to talk about the 50th :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That would be the best PR stunt the BBC could do.
    *emails thread to Beeb* :p

Actually, that sort of feels like the 30th, 35th and 40th anniversaries all over again... ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GDK wrote: »
    Doctor... Who?

What is this thread?

Why am I here?

Who are all you people!?

I think there must be some kind of memory.. viru... thingy....

What was I saying?........

:D

There's a lady here from the BBC to remind you that you know nothing about nothing now. Just so you know. Or don't know. Anything. About nothing.
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,467
    Forum Member
    I've just been reading up about this TV show called "Doctor Who". Sounded kinda interesting.

Hmm. Apparently it's 50 years old this year!

You'd think they'd want to celebrate that in some way. Maybe a "special" episode of some kind. With a few of the old characters in it again.

Yes. That'd be nice. :)
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    I think David still loves the show enough to put up a decent pretense, whether or not he's involved. Even if he isn't involved, he knows how much such rumours can boost the anticipation of the show.
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    This is more like it. I'm going to be playing a drinking game of a swig of fizz each time a past character or monster appears in the special. I'll have several bottles ready:

Original actor: Champagne.
    Stand in actor: Cava.
    CGI character: English sparkling.
    Flashback clip: Vouvray
    Photo or drawing: Prosecco
    Old monster revived for first time: Cider.
    Daleks, cybermen etc: Newcastle Brown
    Alpha Centauri: Whisky (with a cheer for Granny)