Xbox One or PS4 - Any Advice?

Ryan_MorganRyan_Morgan Posts: 36
Forum Member
I'm 19, I've already pre-ordered my PS4, I pre-ordered it before Microsoft dropped their policies on always online/DRM, but now they dropped it I don't know where to turn. Where I live the Xbox 360 is more popular. Although the PS4 is £80 cheaper, one game that sticks out for me is Minecraft which ain't available on the PS4 (yet). What console is better and what console will be more popular? Which one should I choose?

Comments

• Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm 19, I've already pre-ordered my PS4, I pre-ordered it before Microsoft dropped their policies on always online/DRM, but now they dropped it I don't know where to turn. Where I live the Xbox 360 is more popular. Although the PS4 is £80 cheaper, one game that sticks out for me is Minecraft which ain't available on the PS4 (yet). What console is better and what console will be more popular? Which one should I choose?

You shouldn't go with what is "popular", you should go with whatever suits you the best. Like the games and whatnot. Don't be a sheep.

If Minecraft is something you need next gen, cancel your pre-order and go for the green guy. Sounds like you're heading that way anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Minecraft is a PC game, not a console game.

So use your PC and get a PS4
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    I'm going to be serious here, basing your next gen purchase on Minecraft is a very stupid move. You probably have a cheap laptop somewhere that could run it better than the console versions, and you could plug your Xbox 360 controller into that! Look at the long term, seriously, if you base your decision purely on Minecraft, I don't have a nice thing to say. :p
  • SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Xbox v ps thread again? I'll say what I always say. Go with your friends. Certainly dont go with minecraft
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Delboy219 wrote: »
    You shouldn't go with what is "popular", you should go with whatever suits you the best. Like the games and whatnot. Don't be a sheep.

If Minecraft is something you need next gen, cancel your pre-order and go for the green guy. Sounds like you're heading that way anyway.
    Not to mention the reset button will be pushed at the start of the generation.

If you go to buy a console right now then you'd probably pick the one your mates have but no one has a PS4 or Xbox One right now so I don't see the merit in saying 'most people have a 360' as by that token everyone would have Nintendos as they are the oldest manufacturer of consoles who have a currently available console!
  • ExoPaulExoPaul Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    It is a lot of money for either (unless you have a good income) so personally I would do what I do and wait a month after launch, maybe even January and see what the reviews of them are after the initial hype, see what the games stand up like, how the online services compare based on actual rather than rumoured comparisons and if nothing else, if Microsoft are struggling to shift units they may even drop a bit off the price and you could get it cheaper than if you bought it right out the gates.

Early adoption is a bit like eating soup..... it gets cooler the longer you wait, dive in too early and you could get burned!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll say what i always say

look up the exclusives on google and watch footage on youtube, decide which exclusives you like better and get that console its really simple

If you are going to spend £400+ on something then you and you alone should be deciding what you want

If you want to go down the technical route, PS4 is better does that mean in the long run it will have better games that you like, nobody can say
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Give it 6 months then decide afterall there's plenty of life in ya 360 yet! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll do what I always do and choose whatever is best for me. If I 'followed the crowd' of my friends I'd have ended up with an Xbox 360 as most of them have that. Not that anything is wrong with it but the exclusives do nothing for me but PS3 exclusives appealed to me PS+ is much better value imo.

As for next gen I'm going for PS4. It appeals more to me and on top of that I don't want to fork out an extra £80 for Kinect which I hate anyway and I don't trust MS not to bring all their awful policies back once the X1 is in peoples homes.

It is a lot of money so think carefully.
  • General LunacyGeneral Lunacy Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try to get an idea for which console 'feels' right for you. Do you have an Xbox or PS3 currently?

As others have said basing your decision on a game like Minecraft might prove to be a mistake.

Both machines are going to give you a powerful gaming experience in the end.

My personal shout would be PS4 as I feel Microsoft have shown themselves to be somewhat anti-consumer.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Get what your friends get

/thread.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »

/thread.
    But someone has to go first. No one has either console yet.

You can say go buy a PS3 or 360 on that basis because your friends already have them, but if everyone in your group of friends goes 'what do I buy, I'll get what everyone else gets' no one will buy anything because no one can make a decision.

Likewise, if you make a decision now it could shape what your other friends decide to purchase.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Xbox v ps thread again? I'll say what I always say. Go with your friends. Certainly dont go with minecraft
    jabbamk1 wrote: »

/thread.

Had i bought what my friends got i'd of missed out on about 6/7+ of the greatest games i've ever played

Nobody should ever follow the crowd or go with what their friends get, for me that in itself is not a reason to get a console
  • General LunacyGeneral Lunacy Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    Had i bought what my friends got i'd of missed out on about 6/7+ of the greatest games i've ever played

Nobody should ever follow the crowd or go with what their friends get, for me that in itself is not a reason to get a console

Agree, it should be a personal choice, if at all possible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll say what i always say

look up the exclusives on google and watch footage on youtube, decide which exclusives you like better and get that console its really simple

If you are going to spend £400+ on something then you and you alone should be deciding what you want

If you want to go down the technical route, PS4 is better does that mean in the long run it will have better games that you like, nobody can say
    Trouble is MS has shown all of their exclusives and Sony has only shown 5 of their 20 year one exclusives!

Allegedly more coming at Gamescom, so maybe wait until August to make your final decision.

Or just get the PS4 it clearly is da bestist.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member

The guy seems to be a casual gamer. Hence my friends comments.

But the PS4 is the best console with the best game experiences without a doubt.
  • RagnarokRagnarok Posts: 4,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What exclusives or future exclusives take your fancy more. Answer that question and you'll know your answer.

I like both personally, killer instinct ryse, forza or Quantum Break maybe a new fable or Alan Wake down the line, knack or infamous second son with God of War and Gran Turismo bound to come eventually and no doubt the PS4 is more than likely platform of choice for JRPG's in the future. Sony is making life easy for Indie developers more so than Microsoft too from the outset.

Microsofts need to do a policy u-turn and price settled it for me.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,930
    Forum Member
    I want to buy the new Xbox but all my friends will buy the PS4, so I'll probably end up getting both consoles like last time!!
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Ash_735 wrote: »
    I'm going to be serious here, basing your next gen purchase on Minecraft is a very stupid move. You probably have a cheap laptop somewhere that could run it better than the console versions, and you could plug your Xbox 360 controller into that! Look at the long term, seriously, if you base your decision purely on Minecraft, I don't have a nice thing to say. :p

I think not, have you tried running Minecraft on a cheap laptop? It's 60FPS on Xbox 360.Though you could of course argue the PC game is better due to mods and no size restrictions but the 360 game has it's perks too (including local co-op) and it's more accessible, especially the crafting and is actually playable on a controller..
  • SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think not, have you tried running Minecraft on a cheap laptop? It's 60FPS on Xbox 360.Though you could of course argue the PC game is better due to mods and no size restrictions but the 360 game has it's perks too (including local co-op) and it's more accessible, especially the crafting and is actually playable on a controller..

on the downside though, the xbox360 version is the equivalent of the version 1.1 on the PC. Which was released on January 2012 so it is 18 months behind and it doesn't look like it will ever catch up.

Next gen though may be different hopefully, but no official word yet. Dont forget Marcus Person has heavily hinted on a ps4 version but again no offical word.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    before DRM reversal i was 80/20 ps4

afterwards 60/40

then i found out kingdom of heaven,ff15 and mgs are all coming out on xbox too

55/45 to sony

one would imagine xbox live and the controller will be better on Microsoft console(like they are now imo)

so im on a straight 50/50

not gonna buy at launch so i will see how they pan out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Wait til they come out and see what the reception is.

DO NOT pre order anything lol :D
    Forum Member

FIne on a Pentium P4 and yes it does do local shared worlds
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Yes, if you don't mind playing at 20 FPS, cannot do 4-player split-screen which is a nice exclusive feature. It's also really playable in a relaxing way on the controller, crafting it so much more easier/less frustrating than in the PC game.
    Forum Member
    Minecraft

OK My sons own a copy each and play it a lot.

They had a school friend take the mickey going on about the 360 version and how good it was, they retorted with all the things they could do, such as mods and huge shared servers with friends.

Basically a lot of Minecraft is missing from the 360 version.