Top Of The Pops 1977 - BBC4 (Part 2)

Comments

• highlander1969highlander1969 Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member
    jake1981 wrote: »
    Just got round to watching last night's ep. Some good memories
    The clip of Fleetwood Mac was excellent. I didn't see Christine McVie on it. Is that just the way it was filmed or was she away for a while. Or maybe I just missed her

No Jake. I didn't notice Christine either. Maybe she'd popped off for a drink of water (or whatever?) during that particular performance! :D
  • jake1981jake1981 Posts: 5,713
    Forum Member
    No Jake. I didn't notice Christine either. Maybe she'd popped off for a drink of water (or whatever?) during that particular performance! :D

Thanks Highlander. Not just me then
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Highlander. Not just me then

If you like Fleetwood Mac then check out a solo single by Lindsey Buckingham from 1982 called Trouble. I take it your memories from TOTP 1977 aren't first hand considering your username Jake? ;)
  • jake1981jake1981 Posts: 5,713
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    If you like Fleetwood Mac then check out a solo single by Lindsey Buckingham from 1982 called Trouble. I take it your memories from TOTP 1977 aren't first hand considering your username Jake? ;)

Don't let usernames fool you. I am a child of the sixties.
    I'll check out that track. (I think i've heard it before)

(One of my first singles I bought was Albertross
    The first single was Jesemine by the Casuals)
  • JoLucJoLuc Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last night's episode highlighted both my inner and the world's musical turmoil. GREAT!!!
    Disco was great - Donna S and Giorgio M, although not my favourite, proved ground breaking.
    Punk was great - Eddie and the Hot Rods was the beginning of punk for me. the Live at the Marquee EP (1976) that John Peel championed woke me up to music with energy.
    Reggae was becoming great - but Barry Biggs??
    Fleetwood Mac's Rumours...a classic always. Most of us only ever noticed Stevie at the time.
    But to see Thin Lizzy and Phil is always a treat. Shame they cut away from that great guitar solo.
    And the Kid Jensen wearing his Maple Leaf Christmas jumper made me smile.
    Pans Peeps dancing on their backs. A young man's dreams.
  • keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I remember him performing that live on the Late Late Breakfast Show in 1982, there was a problem with the live link. Noel Edmonds was trying an interview, but Buckingham couldn't him, and was heard to say "I hear s**t man"

You could see Edmonds red face even through his beard! Was quite something on live TV back in 82!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't let usernames fool you. I am a child of the sixties.
    I'll check out that track. (I think i've heard it before)

(One of my first singles I bought was Albertross
    The first single was Jesemine by the Casuals)

Released in January 1982, Trouble was a No31 hit.

Out of about 1,600 singles on my iPod I've only currently got exactly 100 from the 1960's, and Casual's Jesamine is one of them. A hit at about the time I was being conceived!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    keicar wrote: »
    I remember him performing that live on the Late Late Breakfast Show in 1982, there was a problem with the live link. Noel Edmonds was trying an interview, but Buckingham couldn't him, and was heard to say "I hear s**t man"

You could see Edmonds red face even through his beard! Was quite something on live TV back in 82!

Good story, not the most infamous mis-hap from that show of course. I'm sure Abba appeared on it late in 1982 to deny they were splitting up, and then promptly did so in the new year. Hard to credit that it is 30 years this very month since it began. It was a must watch at the time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JoLuc wrote: »

Ahem....it was Legs & Co. :p
  • andyd1302andyd1302 Posts: 5,837
    Forum Member
    We've got more good music like that coming up later on .......... but now Barry Biggs."

Anyone seen Barry's attempts at stand-up comedy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lVMKiSvVLg

:D
  • footygirlfootygirl Posts: 35,171
    Forum Member
    I fear that was the last week at Number 1 for La Summer

Nex week it is Primark Abba

Keep an eye on the song that charted this week in the mid twenties by Carly Simon

To come this series are chart toppers from

The Floaters
    Elvis
    David Soul
    Baccara
    Abba - The Abba
  • dofferdoffer Posts: 2,746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder why Showaddywaddy were a member light this week?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    footygirl wrote: »

Keep an eye on the song that charted this week in the mid twenties by Carly Simon

The Floaters
    Elvis
    David Soul
    Baccara
    Abba - The Abba

I love the way you put a spoiler for Angelo by Brotherhood Of Man, and then proceeded to list the next 5 No1 hits of 1977! You missed Wings off your list. ;)
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love the way you put a spoiler for Angelo by Brotherhood Of Man, and then proceeded to list the next 5 No1 hits of 1977! You missed Wings off your list. ;)
    I think we're all trying to forget 'Mull Of Kintyre'!
  • faversham saintfaversham saint Posts: 2,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of Slade's best tracks for me. I discovered it a few years back. Noddy can pull off a ballad when he needs to.

A music journalist once described Noddy Holder's vocal performance on 'Dapple Rose' (a sentimental ballad from 1970 about a former prize racehorse being put out to pasture) as "majestic".

In May the song was uploaded to YouTube matched to an unrelated 1971 TOTP promo which features Flick Colby dressed in white doing a solo ballerina routine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkCuQ3jQHGM

The rousing "singalong" chorus is reminiscent of a famous Beatles No. 1 from the late 60s (I won't say which one) although unlike the Beatles (who relied on professional orchestras) Slade had their own in-house violinist to add some Eleanor Rigby-style pathos to the track.
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the link faversham saint. It's the first time I've heard that song, it's excellent.
  • Tele_addictTele_addict Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoyed this week's episode. Highlights were Eddie and the Hotrod - what a classic song Do What You Wanna Do, stands the test of time today! Also, loved the Fleetwood Mac clip,another classic, the clip seemed to last longer than the time why showed it before. Donna Summer in her fourth week at number one, with Legs and Co and the studio audience trying to do the song justice, only to be knocked off the top spot next week by none other than Brotherhood of Man. What a contrast.
    Forum Member
    footygirl wrote: »

The Floaters
    Elvis
    David Soul
    Baccara
    Abba - The Abba
    Robbie01 wrote: »

Some really good No.1's coming up. Although, I was never too crazy about "Float On". :sleep:
    Ooh, seems I'm gonna be the only one not giving "Mull Of Kintyre" a hard time!! :o:D
    Forum Member
    A music journalist once described Noddy Holder's vocal performance on 'Dapple Rose' (a sentimental ballad from 1970 about a former prize racehorse being put out to pasture) as "majestic".

In May the song was uploaded to YouTube matched to an unrelated 1971 TOTP promo which features Flick Colby dressed in white doing a solo ballerina routine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkCuQ3jQHGM

The rousing "singalong" chorus is reminiscent of a famous Beatles No. 1 from the late 60s (I won't say which one) although unlike the Beatles (who relied on professional orchestras) Slade had their own in-house violinist to add some Eleanor Rigby-style pathos to the track.

Thanks for that. A great song. I love Slade but not so familiar with their output pre-1971.
    Forum Member
    Enjoyed this week's episode. Highlights were Eddie and the Hotrod - what a classic song Do What You Wanna Do, stands the test of time today! Also, loved the Fleetwood Mac clip,another classic, the clip seemed to last longer than the time why showed it before. Donna Summer in her fourth week at number one, with Legs and Co and the studio audience trying to do the song justice, only to be knocked off the top spot next week by none other than Brotherhood of Man. What a contrast.

You're so right, "Do What You Wanna Do" still has a great feel to it! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really like the Floaters track, and it's just a shame it is rather corny in it's content. It sounds like the kind of song for a hot summers afternoon. I am looking forward to the upcoming Magic Fly and Oxygene by Space and Jean-Michel Jarre who I like immensely. One of the low points will be the rather mawkish so called tribute song to Elvis from Danny Mirror.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JoLuc wrote: »
    Last night's episode highlighted both my inner and the world's musical turmoil. GREAT!!!
    Disco was great - Donna S and Giorgio M, although not my favourite, proved ground breaking.
    Punk was great - Eddie and the Hot Rods was the beginning of punk for me. the Live at the Marquee EP (1976) that John Peel championed woke me up to music with energy.
    Reggae was becoming great - but Barry Biggs??
    Fleetwood Mac's Rumours...a classic always. Most of us only ever noticed Stevie at the time.
    But to see Thin Lizzy and Phil is always a treat. Shame they cut away from that great guitar solo.
    And the Kid Jensen wearing his Maple Leaf Christmas jumper made me smile.

Pans People finished in 1976. The dancers in 1977 would have been Legs and Co.
    Actually I was watching a June 1976 show last year and saw Ruby Flipper, a shortlived replacement for Pans People.
  • Tele_addictTele_addict Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An administrator on the Points of View message board has suggested contacting the BBC about the repeats. Here's the link....

https://faq.external.bbc.co.uk/templates/bbcfaqs/emailstatic/emailPage?entryID=programme_team&moduleID=contact
  • keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    First and only song I learn't to play on the guitar!

It wasn't that bad, best selling song of the 70's, thats quite something...
  • eurofandaveeurofandave Posts: 430
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE:
    Ooh, seems I'm gonna be the only one not giving "Mull Of Kintyre" a hard time!! :o:D[/QUOTE]

I also won't be giving 'Mull Of Kintyre' a hard time :D

Granted at the time i hated the song but over the years i have grown to really like it!