Parents evicting a 16 year old girl

epsomepsom Posts: 4,684
Forum Member
✭✭✭
One of my daughters friends, who is 16, has been evicted by her parents. They also did this to an older daughter when she reached 16. Although, as I understand it, parental responsibility towards their children is supposed to last until they are 18 - this is not enforced if they are 16 or over. So there is no sanction against what these parents have done! Is this in fact the case?

Comments

• eunicelouise658eunicelouise658 Posts: 1,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did they evict because of a falling out? I have cases where parents have written eviction letters to support a teenagers claim for rehousing by the local authority. If the latter is the case that is a sad state of affairs as people in dire need of social housing can be pushed down the list by little Stacey or Wayne who could live happily at home for a few more years.
  • epsomepsom Posts: 4,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It happened after an argument I understand.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Parents and teenagers have arguments I know I have brought up 6 of them. I would have been writing an awful lot of eviction letters!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can kick em out at 16 yes... I did it with one of mine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understand there can be some awful situations where families become estranged. I feel if a young person just wants to spread their wings a parents should not be evicting them so they can have a council flat often paid for by housing benefit.
  • Tom_TitTom_Tit Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    You can kick em out at 16 yes... I did it with one of mine.

You can kick them out earlier than that if you wish.
    If they become too hard to handle or you are a shit parent you can just put them in care. Simple as.
    There is nothing illegal about that. The main thing is the welfare of the child and unless there is some serious neglect or abuse issues going on then the decision to put a child in care is that of the parent.
  • Tom_TitTom_Tit Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    I understand there can be some awful situations where families become estranged. I feel if a young person just wants to spread their wings a parents should not be evicting them so they can have a council flat often paid for by housing benefit.

They wont waltz straight into a council flat though will they. They will end up with a stint in a hostel and they aren't very pleasant if you have come out of a nice home.
  • COAXCOAX Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dad counted down the days till i was 16 and used to threaten to kick me out. The a hole. Hes nice as pie to me now after my parents split and i live with my mum :D