Wii U hacked.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So the people (I won't name in case DS gets on my ass) who released a key for the Wii to play your copied games have claimed today that they have something coming for the Wii U that will allow you to play copied games.

Maybe they'll finally sell some consoles now.

Comments

• Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Why? There's no games available for it anyway.

;)
  • ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    This could be really worrying; especially considering they probably have a 10 year plan for the console.
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    I'd say that 10 year plan may have got scrapped early doors.
  • jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    Chparmar wrote: »
    This could be really worrying; especially considering they probably have a 10 year plan for the console.

I don't see why anyone should be so worried. Look at Ps1 how easy and common piracy was on it, did it fail no ? What about the PS2 again very easy to mod to play pirated games, did it fail no, in fact one of biggest selling consoles ever released, same for WII and DS and Xbox 360. Nearly all console get cracked within the first year on market and in reality dose nothing to these consoles, but increase sales of the console.

Also Nintendo have never specified a 10 year plan for the WII U and considering they've already gave on first party development for WII I couldn't see them sticking to 10 year plan regardless of this.
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hasn't nintendo pretty much dismissed this? :confused: (even if it has been hacked they'll just fire out a mandatory update which will stop em) :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SimonB79 wrote: »
    Hasn't nintendo pretty much dismissed this? :confused: (even if it has been hacked they'll just fire out a mandatory update which will stop em) :rolleyes:
    When? And it depends on the extent of the hack.
    Forum Member

There official quote is as stands

“Nintendo is aware that a hacking group claims to have compromised Wii U security. However, we have no reports of illegal Wii U games nor unauthorized applications playable on the system while in Wii U mode. Nintendo continuously monitors all threats to its products’ security and will use technology and will take the necessary legal steps to prevent the facilitation of piracy.”

In reality it's really unlikely not to be true, there would no bonus for this group to make up something like this, is would only damage their reputation in the modding community and make sure if a hack does happen the future they would not be the ones profiting from it.

Now that only works if their is a necessity for users with this suppose device to update their console and if their will be ways downgrading firmwares etc. Most of the time it's a cat and mouse game.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I think the whole 'while in Wii U mode' is because someone hacked it before but not in Wii U mode - so maybe they're going by that whole thing and assuming this will be the same.

The hacking 'group', are they even hackers or just some Chinese profiteers anyway?, haven't even shown what or how it does what it does yet, so they can't really comment properly yet.
  • CallousCallous Posts: 11,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chopoff wrote: »
    Well I think the whole 'while in Wii U mode' is because someone hacked it before but not in Wii U mode - so maybe they're going by that whole thing and assuming this will be the same.

The hacking 'group', are they even hackers or just some Chinese profiteers anyway?, haven't even shown what or how it does what it does yet, so they can't really comment properly yet.

The fact that all it can do is play pirated copies/"back ups"points to it being a pure money driven venture as described. Zero to do with the homebrew side of things that hackers tend to hack for (which then leads to piracy)...although I daresay they are working on it.

Nintendo hasn't denied it as such. They have basically said nothing is available...yet(which is true).

Considering the team behind it ..I'm sure it's true and it sounds like it has been cracked wide open for the piracy side of things (with the ability to roll back firmware and such).

Nintendo won't know 100% what they can do until the mod is released. The more online Nintendo can force the hardware to be..the easier for Nintendo to combat it.

There are things Nintendo can try to make things trickier..forcing NFC so a sticker on the box/disc/ a card has to be scanned on the controller before the game can play on the machine, online passes, free to play with lots of paid dlc etc.

The most obvious thing to do is just modify newer machines so the current mod just can't be attached. In a way..now they know it's coming...they'll probably want to get hold of one A.S.A.P so they can adapt the production
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member

If the details are legit then an update will not stop an ODE. Needs a hardware revision.

Worth noting that there are currently no iso dumps of wu games to play on this emulator even if it does work.
  • Banana RamaBanana Rama Posts: 3,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chparmar wrote: »

10 year plan for the Wii U :D i wonder if it will even last half that long...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alternate wrote: »
    If the details are legit then an update will not stop an ODE. Needs a hardware revision.

Worth noting that there are currently no iso dumps of wu games to play on this emulator even if it does work.

This seems similar 2 the ps3 usb dongle which was combated by constant firmware updates .... the ps3 is still pretty much piracy free so I can't see this being any different unless I'm missing summit? :confused:

& like Cal said they could also combat it by using the NFC / DRM functionality. :)

(I'd hate these prats 2 ruin mario kart like they did on the wii with their constant cheating) :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think they'll bring an upgraded wiiu out within the next 2 years IF they get battered by the PS4 / 720. :)
    Forum Member
    This seems similar 2 the ps3 usb dongle which was combated by constant firmware updates .... the ps3 is still pretty much piracy free so I can't see this being any different unless I'm missing summit? :confused:

& like Cal said they could also combat it by using the NFC / DRM functionality. :)

(I'd hate these prats 2 ruin mario kart like they did on the wii with their constant cheating) :(

You are missing something, it is nothing like the PS3 dongle. It is emulating an optical drive, similar to devices the same group made for the wii and gamecube.

If the claims about cracking the drive auth handshakes are true (unproven so far) then Nintendo cannot block it without disabling all the legit drives currently on the market, they would have to change the hardware.

Not saying there is no way to block it - just that a simple software update is unlikely to work. Announcing details up front suggests the modders also believe there will be no quick fix.
  • ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member

On the contrary, I'd say looking at the time-frame for game launch releases; it looks like they are planning for a good 10 years! :D

All it needs is more good software, to get the console going....I think it will be a quailty slow burning console.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alternate wrote: »
    You are missing something, it is nothing like the PS3 dongle. It is emulating an optical drive, similar to devices the same group made for the wii and gamecube.

If the claims about cracking the drive auth handshakes are true (unproven so far) then Nintendo cannot block it without disabling all the legit drives currently on the market, they would have to change the hardware.

Not saying there is no way to block it - just that a simple software update is unlikely to work. Announcing details up front suggests the modders also believe there will be no quick fix.

ok! consider me educated! :D

(seems strange that previous consoles have been hacked using similar methads yet nintendo haven't learned from their mistakes) :confused:
    Forum Member
    ok! consider me educated! :D

(seems strange that previous consoles have been hacked using similar methads yet nintendo haven't learned from their mistakes) :confused:

They used the same encryption key for the wii optical drives as the gamecube ones (which had long been compromised), so they have a history of such mistakes. It is why wii was hacked so fast.

It will be interesting (asuming this is legit) to see what they exploited this time.
  • Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    I'm rather skeptical. These people have been claiming to have hacked the 3ds for years now, and there still isn't a card out that allows you to play 3ds games.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alan1981 wrote: »
    I'm rather skeptical. These people have been claiming to have hacked the 3ds for years now, and there still isn't a card out that allows you to play 3ds games.

Very true!!! :) ... I haven't seen a single 3DS card anywhere!!! (I had 1 for my DS but got rid cause it simply wasnt worth the bother ... Kept crashing & most new game ROM's wouldn't work properly) :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    Alan1981 wrote: »

two totally different companies, one came out no where never heard of again, the other, this company claiming the hack has devices for 360 and WII so this one does have reputation to stand by.

There will be a video in the coming days to proof the legitimacy of this ODE device.

Update

hack is official first game dumped.
    Forum Member
    There isn't a reason for them to lie. As pointed out they already have a semi-legit business, so lying will just annoy potential customers.

As for the 3ds. Some group got it to display custom text on boot, an awful long way from flashcarts and they never promised anything.