10 movies you thought were flops, but weren't

dee123dee123 Posts: 46,257
Forum Member
http://www.empireonline.com/features/ten-successful-movies-you-thought-were-flops/p1

:eek: I didn't know Burton's Planet Of The Apes made that much money!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    After Earth's flopiness has also been vastly overhyped, it's probably only lost Sony $15m + marketing. (Much less than last year's Total Recall lost.) I think it's still playing in a few territories as well. They'll probably be able to make the rest up from home media...
  • Cracker_CakeCracker_Cake Posts: 1,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Identity Thief, don't think that was ever considered a flop.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are certainly a few there I didn't think were flops at all, though I'll admit that was the impression I got from Hansel & Gretel.

I didn't think Jumper did that well, but I didn't think it had cost that much to make and I tend to think a film has to lose hundreds of millions to truely flop.
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed Jumper, watched it a few times. Hayden is as flat as a plank still, glad it made some cash. Love to see a sequel.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stvn758 wrote: »
    I enjoyed Jumper, watched it a few times. Hayden is as flat as a plank still, glad it made some cash. Love to see a sequel.
    Get rid of Hayden, keep Jamie. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All 10 are awful films, just goes to show hyping up a movie can fool people into seeing it.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did not realise that 'The Amazing Spider Man' did so well. Those Marvel Comics franchise films seemed to have done well . Especially, with the amount they seem to be bringing out.
    Forum Member
    rfonzo wrote: »
    I did not realise that 'The Amazing Spider Man' did so well. Those Marvel Comics franchise films seemed to have done well . Especially, with the amount they seem to be bringing out.

It was also critically acclaimed, but appears to be suffering a bit of (what I think is unfair) online backlash at the moment...
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Men in Black 3 is better than the 2nd, Planet of The Apes annoys me. As there are aspects of it I like. (Not the ending.)
    Scooby Doo 2 is awful, but I can watch it. I haven't bothered to watch the other 7.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since "flop" is merely an opinion...

As is "successful film".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    It was also critically acclaimed, but appears to be suffering a bit of (what I think is unfair) online backlash at the moment...

I finally watched T.A.S the other week on sky. Really enjoyed all three of the Raimi spidey films, so I didn't have much interest in a reboot. That said, I really enjoyed it and will probably head to the cinema to see the sequel.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting. Thanks for the link :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't think any of them were flops. I thought a fair number of them were average and I've never heard of The Vow.

Jeremy Renner worries me. Apart from AA where his pointless character is in a crowd of pointless characters trying to get screen time off Iron Man, his movies are generally a bit meh. I'll probably watch H&G but it'll probably be a bit meh when it makes it's way to Sky Prem.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »
    Since "flop" is merely an opinion...

As is "successful film".
    Always equate 'flop' in the objective, purely financial sense regarding budget, performance, expectation etc.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I must admit the trailers for these series of films look very good.:)
  • Cheap ThrillsCheap Thrills Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    stvn758 wrote: »

I quite enjoyed Jumper.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My rule of thumb is to expect disappointment when something is critically acclaimed. It's a euphemism for dull and worthy.

However, not to tinge TAS with now knowing it was critically acclaimed at the time, I found TAS to not be amazing in any way. I just lost interest in it.
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Identity Thief made over $100m from just the US alone so it was Already profitable even though it didn't so good in other countries. Any film that doubles or triples its budget is a hit. Johnny English Reborn cost $45m and made $150m, it totally bombed in the US but TBH I think Universal shouldn't have bothered with a US release in the first place.
    Forum Member
    Jonwo wrote: »
    Identity Thief made over $100m from just the US alone so it was Already profitable even though it didn't so good in other countries. Any film that doubles or triples its budget is a hit. Johnny English Reborn cost $45m and made $150m, it totally bombed in the US but TBH I think Universal shouldn't have bothered with a US release in the first place.

The potential rewards of a US release massively outweigh the risks, especially when you already have global rights to the film.

And since Universal didn't put up all of the money (it was co-financed by Studiocanal and Working Title) for what was already a cheap film, they never stood to lose that much anyway..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The potential rewards of a US release massively outweigh the risks, especially when you already have global rights to the film.

And since Universal didn't put up all of the money (it was co-financed by Studiocanal and Working Title) for what was already a cheap film, they never stood to lose that much anyway..

The first film wasn't a hit in the US but hugely successful elsewhere and Universal wanted the sequel straight away but they decided to do Mr Beans Holiday first and wait for Rowan Atkinson to say yes to another Johnny English.

Universal and Working Title do make films not exclusively aimed at the US market like the Richard Curtis films such as About Time
    Forum Member
    Jonwo wrote: »
    The first film wasn't a hit in the US but hugely successful elsewhere and Universal wanted the sequel straight away but they decided to do Mr Beans Holiday first and wait for Rowan Atkinson to say yes to another Johnny English.

Universal and Working Title do make films not exclusively aimed at the US market like the Richard Curtis films such as About Time
    I didn't mean co-financed by Working Title, they're a production company, I meant co-financed by Relativity Media.

Working Title don't even work exclusively for Universal any more (despite being owned by them), they produced I Give It A Year, which is being handled by Studiocanal. Though it landing at Studiocanal might have something to do with the Universal lawsuit...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't mean co-financed by Working Title, they're a production company, I meant co-financed by Relativity Media.

Working Title don't even work exclusively for Universal any more (despite being owned by them), they produced I Give It A Year, which is being handled by Studiocanal. Though it landing at Studiocanal might have something to do with the Universal lawsuit...

Studiocanal and Working Title have been doing films without Universal starting from Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Universal still distributes their films in the US so they must get a first look. Studiocanal has Rush released just a week after Universal and WTs new film About Time although I imagine the two can coexist.

Studiocanal is half owned by NBCUniversal which may explain why WT have been making films with then and not exclusively Universal.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 266
    Forum Member
    how about top movies i loved but turned out to be flops

-John tucker must die
    -Xmen 3
    -Catwoman
    -Valentines day
    -simpsons movie
    -bratz movie
    -mean girls 2
    -rocky and bullwinkle
    -house bunny
    -bedazzled
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    how about top movies i loved but turned out to be flops

-John tucker must die
    -Xmen 3
    -Catwoman
    -Valentines day
    -simpsons movie
    -bratz movie
    -mean girls 2
    -rocky and bullwinkle
    -house bunny
    -bedazzled

The Simpsons Movie ($527 million worldwide) and X Men 3 ($459 million worldwide) were absolutely NOT flops. X3 might have been critically mauled, but it's still the highest grossing X Men movie.
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If a film cost $1 million to make, and it brought in $999,900 is it a flop ?
    As far as I knew, if it cost more to make than it made at the box office, then it's not a success.