Techwood 80GB Digital Recorder

APInnAPInn Posts: 242
Forum Member
Techwood 80GB Digital Recorder
Catalogue number: 200-5298

These are on offer at tescos at the moment. It say's it has scart sockets, but does anyone know whether it will record from an external source (Like a satellite box) via the scart or will it only record from its own tuners ?

Or if not can anyone recomend a cheapish Hard Drive PVR which will record from an external source via scart or Aux 2 or whatever

Thanks in advance - sorry if this is a daft question, not very techie !

Ashley

"Auto Set Up No
Brand Techwood
Colour Smoke gray front, black top cover
Common Interface No
Digital Audio Output Yes
Electronic Programme Guide Yes
Features of Product Dual digital tuner, 2 watch 2 record, 80GB HDD, freeview playback & digital tick
Hard Drive Yes
Hard Drive Size 80GB
Product Depth 28.1 cm
Product Height 5.6 cm
Product Width 36 cm
Remote Control Yes
RF Loop Through Yes
RGB Output Yes
SCART Sockets Yes
Top-up Card Slot No

Comments

• nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    No. The dual scart sockets (usually labelled TV/output and VCR/source) have been with us since the early days of Sky analogue satellite receivers, and are a standard way of allowing you to view your new receiver and existing equipment through one TV scart socket, without having to purchase an additional scart switching device.

For simple technical/economic reasons, PVRs are only able to record from the inbuilt digital terrestrial tuner(s).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    You need to find one with an analogue tuner -
    I bought one a while back works great if you don't mind manual timers.
  • APInnAPInn Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the replies guys,

Colin, can I ask which one you brought. I haven't been able to find one ?

Cheers

Ashley

ColinGodfree

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    APInn wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies guys,

Colin, can I ask which one you brought. I haven't been able to find one ?

Cheers

Ashley

The model I bought was on sale - end of line - but having a quick look around a few Recordable DVD, hard drive analogue recorders still out there - Make sure it has 2 scarts
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You need to find one with an analogue tuner -
    Not necessarily. And in any case APInn is talking about a PVR not a DVD recorder which is what I think you are refferring to, two very different animals.

Most if not all DVD recorders, be they equipped with analogue or digital tuners (or even both), can record from SCART in which case the breed of tuner is irrelevant.

To save repeating myself....

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=24184306&postcount=2

As you can see from the post i've linked to DVD Recorders and PVRs have advantages and disadvantages. Which particular set of ech you can live with depends on what other kit you have and how you plan to use it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    Have a look at Big pockets

www.bigpockets.co.uk

They have various DVD recorders, some with hard drives that should do the job.

Regards

Bill
  • creddishcreddish Posts: 5,285
    Forum Member
    To anyone considering the Vestel PVRs currently on sale at Tesco be aware of what you are buying.

The units in our local Tesco (Newbury) branded Techwood with the model number AEDTR160S7 are the 160 GB Vestel T816 units and according to the label on the unit have software version 2.4 and were made in June 2007. That is, they are early production T816 units manufactured a year ago, which do not have Series Record. They are priced at £94.97.

They also have units with the identical model number AEDER160S7 but branded Technika and also at £94.97. However, these Technika units are the later 160GB T825 units and according to the label on the packaging have the 2.7 software version and were made in April 2008. These units do have the Series Record feature.

They also have the Techwood AEDTR80S7 at £79.97which is the 80GB version of the Techwood unit listed above, with the same hardware and software and were manufactured in May 2007.

Colin
  • PemblechookPemblechook Posts: 2,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adsa are doing a 80GB Vestel (Durabrand) for £70.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Bought the Technika AEDER160S7 at my local Tesco's yesterday - clearance offer reduced to £86.97. It's still £8 more online. As stated above, it's the T825 with v2.7 software and Freeview Playback. It's beautifully easy to use but the picture quality is quite disappointing. The colours are over-saturated and fine detail is missing compared to my old Humax 80GB single tuner. I've now watched a number of PVRs and I have to say that none has come close to the Humax's picture quality, though Humax's are not that easy to use (e.g. 3 button presses are needed to turn subtitles on/off -most PVRs have one).