Refund over misleading trailer.

MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
Forum Member
✭✭
Apparently a disgruntled customer got his money back after complaining that a scene featured in the trailer for Jack Reacher - wasn't present in the final movie.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/odd/news/a470274/jack-reacher-moviegoer-refunded-over-missing-explosion.html

Whilst I can understand some scenes not making it into the final film - the cynic in me thinks that sometimes the movie studios do this on purpose to make the trailer more exciting.

What are the worst/most disappointing examples you have seen.

The worst/most blatant one IMO is the trailer for Predators - where Brody's character gets targeted by dozens of predator lasers. This scene is in the movie - but he was only targeted by one and there aren't "dozens" of predators even in the movie. The studio later admitted that they did this on purpose to make the trailer appear more exciting.

A disappointing one for me is the trailer for Iron Man 2. In the trailer - Pepper kisses the suits helmet (snigger) before throwing it out of the transport plane - making Stark jump out after it. I thought this was a funny scene - but was omitted from the final film.

Comments

• BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Predators issue was very annoying and mis-leading.
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    I'll have to ask for my money back as I was under the impression that Jack Reacher was 6ft4inches and 250lbs of muscle. I feel I was short changed :)
  • UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    I think it's ridiculous. Oh no, something in the trailer didn't appear in the film, boo hoo. :rolleyes:
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I'm more disappointed when the trailer is the best part of the film.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blair Witch Project.
    Cherie Blair wasn't in it. Infact nothing else was.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moony wrote: »
    Apparently a disgruntled customer got his money back after complaining that a scene featured in the trailer for Jack Reacher - wasn't present in the final movie.

Good grief, anyone who saw the amazing spiderman last year can get there money back also...bonus for me since it was the crappiest film I saw at the cinema since Batman and Robin :D

Seriously though, ridiculous, though not as ridiculous as the morons at that cinema in Liverpool who asked for (and got) there money back for not realisingThe Artist was a "silent" movie....:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    Good grief, anyone who saw the amazing spiderman last year can get there money back also...bonus for me since it was the crappiest film I saw at the cinema since Batman and Robin :D

Seriously though, ridiculous, though not as ridiculous as the morons at that cinema in Liverpool who asked for (and got) there money back for not realisingThe Artist was a "silent" movie....:rolleyes:

Haha that's quite funny as I agree...it was anything but "amazing"
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Bekind Rewind trailer was very misleading as it made the film actually look quite good which couldnt of been any further from the truth. :D
  • UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    there money back for not realisingThe Artist was a "silent" movie....

Were they living under a rock at the time??
  • Lou KellyLou Kelly Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wanted my money back after watching The Never Ending Story as it ended
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I hate trailers that basically spoil and give away the best parts of the film :mad:
  • finkfink Posts: 2,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was misled when I saw the Phantom Menace teaser, which made it look good.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The trailer for Twilight was misleading. I was expecting Vampires.
  • PhoenixRisesPhoenixRises Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The most misleading trailer of recent years for me was the Adjustment Bureau, it made it feel like it was an action/scifi film and it turned out to be more of a romantic chick flick type film. And I don't think it was only me as when I went to see it the screen was full of blokes and hardly any women. And I heard many mutter afterwards about it not being the film they thought it would be.
  • logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember being in the audience on the opening night of The Watchmen, and a lot of teens turned up with there girfriends laughing and joking as they sat down. They had seen a misleading trailer i can tell you! I glanced over a few times when Dr Manhatten took Lori to Mars and the girls were looking pretty peed off!
  • rosco2010rosco2010 Posts: 7,501
    Forum Member
    The "SCREAM ANN! SCREAM FOR YOUR LIFE!!!" scene from the King Kong trailer, which wasn't in the final film. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5j_2sRUTbU 1.10 onwards.
  • PopRocketPopRocket Posts: 587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The trailers for the paranormal activity films are misleading
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trailer for bridge To Terrabithia makes out its just your usual kids fantasy film, was completely shocked when i watched the actual film!
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have discussed the reasons for missing scenes on here many times.

Quite simply, in a lot of cases trailers are put together and released before the final edit of a movie. Therefore some scenes may not end up in the final movie.

This is especially true of highly anticipated movies, the sooner the trailer is out the quicker the publicity people can start creating the buzz.

And I would'nt make any big deal over a single person somewhere being given a refund, that was a decision made by the cinema itself, it hardly sets a precedent,
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    The most misleading trailer of recent years for me was the Adjustment Bureau, it made it feel like it was an action/scifi film and it turned out to be more of a romantic chick flick type film. And I don't think it was only me as when I went to see it the screen was full of blokes and hardly any women. And I heard many mutter afterwards about it not being the film they thought it would be.

I know what you mean. Still a good movie, but NOTHING like Bourne as the trailer seemed to make out. More a romantic film with shades of Inception. Just because Matt Damon was in it, doesnt mean its like Bourne.

I also felt Tangled was badly misrepresented, the trailers made it look like Shrek or something playing up the comedy aspect but its a sweet romance more like classic Disney :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The most mis-leading trailer for me is East is East. I remember thinking it looking absolutely hilarious, it wasn't. It was more a light-weight drama with the occasional numerous moment.
    I was very annoyed.

A bit similar to Slumdog Millionaire being the "feelgood movie of the year"
  • MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have discussed the reasons for missing scenes on here many times.

Quite simply, in a lot of cases trailers are put together and released before the final edit of a movie. Therefore some scenes may not end up in the final movie.

A point I made in the OP. However - is it beyond the realms of possibility that the studio sometimes do things like this on purpose (like the Predators example I gave).

I suspect in some cases, scenes are filmed specifically for the trailer - with no intention of ever making it into the film.

Its not like things like this hasn't happened before. Both movies and games are prone to the production companies sexing up the marketing material to make something that is unrepresentative of the final movie/game.
    And I would'nt make any big deal over a single person somewhere being given a refund, that was a decision made by the cinema itself, it hardly sets a precedent,

I'm not making a big deal out of it - just using it as a jumping off point for the discussion.
  • Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    A very strange one - every Harry Potter trailer from HBP onwards (yes, EVERY one) contains the same unidentified male scream of "Harrryyyyyyyy!" It's never appeared in any film!
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    logansdad wrote: »
    I remember being in the audience on the opening night of The Watchmen, and a lot of teens turned up with there girfriends laughing and joking as they sat down. They had seen a misleading trailer i can tell you! I glanced over a few times when Dr Manhatten took Lori to Mars and the girls were looking pretty peed off!
    Was the Watchmen trailer misleading in any major way though?

Hardly promoted as some Spider-man-alike light viewing, was it? Plus it was rated 18. Sounds like they didn't do their homework.
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was the Watchmen trailer misleading in any major way though?

Hardly promoted as some Spider-man-alike light viewing, was it? Plus it was rated 18. Sounds like they didn't do their homework.

Plus the graphic novel is one of the most acclaimed of all time and had been around for about 20 years prior.