TeamRock

Comments

• nikobatallonesnikobatallones Posts: 3,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Radio wrote: »
    There's something on their Twitter page about playing Eminem today cant tell if its serious or a joke. Anyone know? I hope to god it isn't true.
    It's the breakfast show's "Rock Departure Lounge" segment - one song per show that isn't rock.
  • plattyplatty Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just listening to Nicky Horne classic rock show , which started at 6, they played Bomber by Motörhead and then it went quiet , Nicky came back on and said the computer had gone down and he had to play a CD :eek: , old tech :D , guess they've still got gremlins after the launch
  • midlandsfirstmidlandsfirst Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the breakfast show's "Rock Departure Lounge" segment - one song per show that isn't rock.

Perhaps its me but i dont see why a rock station has a feature where they play a non rock track...

You wouldnt listen to Classic FM and hear them play a country song as a feature...

Stick to the knitting as the old saying goes
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps its me but i dont see why a rock station has a feature where they play a non rock track...

You wouldnt listen to Classic FM and hear them play a country song as a feature...

Classic FM's Album of the Week this week contains some rather un-classical music:.

The accordion-playing winner of Lithuania's Got Talent delivers a thrilling debut CD ranging from classical favourites to Lady Gaga. Album of the Week, 24 June 2013.
  • Ethan RayneEthan Rayne Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The point of the feature is to ask rock fans what other type of music they like and share it with their fellow rockers, amongst listeners it has mostly received a thumbs up with only one or two negative comments.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The point of the feature is to ask rock fans what other type of music they like and share it with their fellow rockers, amongst listeners it has mostly received a thumbs up with only one or two negative comments.

Well make that 3 then cos i think its daft and if id have been listening at the time Eminem was played I would have turned over faster than you could say Rap (same as when Kerrang used to play it)

I know it may be one song but i listen to a rock station for rock. If i want to hear rap i would listen to 1xtra or something (assuming 1xtra play rap that is lol)

Btw Ethan - do you work for Team Rock as you seem to be extremely positive and loyal to them
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well make that 3 then cos i think its daft and if id have been listening at the time Eminem was played I would have turned over faster than you could say Rap (same as when Kerrang used to play it)

I know it may be one song but i listen to a rock station for rock. If i want to hear rap i would listen to 1xtra or something (assuming 1xtra play rap that is lol)

Btw Ethan - do you work for Team Rock as you seem to be extremely positive and loyal to them

Don't work for them but have been a listener of the 3 main presenters from Rock Radio Manchester days and saw a vibrant and growing station destroyed by certain moronic suits in GMG who gelded it into the dad rock station now known as Real xs(meh),I know them well enough to know what class broadcasters they are and also how hard they've worked to set Team Rock up, thing about Moose is he isn't afraid to try an idea out, hence the departure lounge feature, if it works it'll stay, if it doesn't he'll find another feature to keep up the dialogue with the listeners, and most people I talked to in the pub last night were at least willing to give it a go, rockers aren't as narrow minded as most people.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rockers aren't as narrow minded as most people.

Have to disagree there.... Ive been going to rock clubs for 20+ years and a lot are closed minded when it comes to music taste...

You could hear the moaning when any softer rock (Bryan Adams, Journey etc) was played let alone another style of music.
  • VientreVientre Posts: 1,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Miss Rach has just revealed a new feature on her midweek morning show, the cover version spot, something Sweeney has been doing for a long time on XS, hardly original Rach. At least she knows it works.
  • RichardReesRichardRees Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to disagree there.... Ive been going to rock clubs for 20+ years and a lot are closed minded when it comes to music taste...
    Some aren't - some are - after all the latter will turn over from a radio station if just one song isn't their favoured genre :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some aren't - some are - after all the latter will turn over from a radio station if just one song isn't their favoured genre :rolleyes:

It isnt a matter of whether its mine or anyone elses 'favoured genre'. Its a matter of its a rock station and if i tune in i expect to hear rock.

Yes I will turn it over if i hear rap on any station as i detest it. Its my choice to do so. I listen to most types of music from musical theatre to folk to country to classical but wouldnt expect to hear them on a rock station either... Same as I wouldnt tune into Jazz fm and expect to hear the latest One Direction track whether as part of a feature or not...
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember Rick Wakeman had Roy Hudd as a guest on his Planet rock show and played some musichall songs and comedy.
    Rick would play some non rock music occasionally.
    Not sure why he left Planet rock?
    http://www.rwcc.com/notice_planetrock.asp
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hanssolo wrote: »
    I remember Rick Wakeman had Roy Hudd as a guest on his Planet rock show and played some musichall songs and comedy.
    Rick would play some non rock music occasionally.
    Not sure why he left Planet rock?
    http://www.rwcc.com/notice_planetrock.asp

The show wasnt quite the same once they added Kid Jensen to it in my opinion. He sounded quite out of place.

Steve
  • HellwÿckHellwÿck Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    It depends where you go;
    A lot of people I hang out with into metal love the heavier end of the spectrum (Amon Amarth, Obituary, Carcass, etc.), they also love the lighter end (Europe, Bon Jovi, CCR, etc) but they also love crossover-appeal bands like Downset. Senser, Clawfinger, Primus, Faith No More, Public Enemy.).

They have a pretty wide range of "alterniative" music, the music they will turn off is boybands and that mindless talentless drivel.

Ethan, I've known the Rock Radio crew for a while, they're good people - Nice to see someone else promoting Team Rock!
  • steveciscostevecisco Posts: 387
    Forum Member

Alan Freeman use to play Classical tracks alongside Rock tracks at Radio One back in the 70s. I hope we have all evolved a bit since then.
  • Mr RadioMr Radio Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have they announced this weekends schedule yet other than ted rock at 8am?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have they announced this weekends schedule yet other than ted rock at 8am?

The return of Ted is more than enough for me, but there's a Joey Jordison take over on Saturday and a Black Spiders take over on Sunday.
  • Mr RadioMr Radio Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The return of Ted is more than enough for me, but there's a Joey Jordison take over on Saturday and a Black Spiders take over on Sunday.

Who actually is Ted Rock? I haven't heard of him before but i hear he's good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who actually is Ted Rock? I haven't heard of him before but i hear he's good.

Irish/Scottish/American DJ, very funny but totally Marmite, if you get him you'll love him, if you don't you'll hate him.
  • MusicmasterproxMusicmasterprox Posts: 959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    @johnmyersteam
    Oh. What a lovely announcement we have from @WeAreTeamRock next week. I'm feeling quite chuffed.

So, have they finally acquired Real XS?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, have they finally acquired Real XS?

I doubt it, I'd put money on XS(meh) ending up a Jack franchise.
  • Black LabelBlack Label Posts: 4,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Irish/Scottish/American DJ, very funny but totally Marmite, if you get him you'll love him, if you don't you'll hate him.

I am guessing Ciaran O'Toole.

Was PC at Q96 in it's dog days. Moved to GMG when they bought the station and relaunched as 96.3 Rock Radio. Remained as PC and gained the on air name of 'Father Ted'.

If it's a different person, my apologies.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am guessing Ciaran O'Toole.

Was PC at Q96 in it's dog days. Moved to GMG when they bought the station and relaunched as 96.3 Rock Radio. Remained as PC and gained the on air name of 'Father Ted'.

If it's a different person, my apologies.

Correct.
  • Black LabelBlack Label Posts: 4,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes Mr O'Toole's conversion to rock jockery raised a few eyebrows at the time.

When at Q he had one of his presenters load the playout system with cheesy 80s oldies from the jock's own DJ collection and then put them on the playlist. 'For America' by Red Box was a regular play, for example.

It did seem to many that O'Toole's influences were in fact Dublin's 98FM and 80s Irish pirates like Sunshine 101 but then along came GMG and Father Ted was born.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Team Rock is now available on Apple iTunes Radio, whether that's what John Myres tweeted about I don't know but if it is it doesn't seem that big a deal.