Born to be Wild - American Rock golden age series - BBC4 - starting 10/01/14 2100

alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi folks,

We have
Born to Be Wild
Season 1 Episode 1 of 3
Riders on the Storm New series. A look at the evolution of 20th-century American rock music, beginning with the days of flower power, Vietnam and LSD, when bands like the Doors, Jefferson Airplane and MC5 sang about `the revolution'. The first episode concentrates on the late 1960s, exploring the artists that made the soundtrack to the Peace and Love generation, culminating in the Woodstock music festival. However, the event proved a watershed moment for rock music's reactionary era, as the marketeers lined up ready to turn this kind of output from protest into profit. Contributers include Alice Cooper and Tom Petty

then

Jimi Hendrix: The Road to Woodstock
A definitive account of one of the guitarist's most celebrated performances, at the New York festival in 1969, featuring signature renditions of Purple Haze, Voodoo Child and the Star Spangled Banner. The programme includes interviews with Woodstock promoter Michael Lang and Hendrix's band members Mitch Mitchell, Billy Cox, Larry Lee and Juma Sultan

and one on The Doors tonight...

Who's watching?

Comments

• alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On now
  • I, CandyI, Candy Posts: 3,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Promising!

Great to see a clip of The Byrds. Never seen that clip with Gene Clark playing the Fender XII on Mr Tambourine Man before.
  • jimbo1962jimbo1962 Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no programme would be complete without..kick outthe jams MFs
  • maycontainnutsmaycontainnuts Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jeez I hated all that hippy shit in the 60's..looking forward to some Rock next week
  • China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Next week should be better.
    Great to see Creedence though....my all time favourite band.
  • Shady_Pines1Shady_Pines1 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's an hour of my life I'll never get back.
  • Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Hendrix and Doors ones are repeats.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was like watching paint that has already dried. Nothing that hasn't been said or shown before many times. Always found the 70's more interesting. Even if it was a mish mash of what has happened before.
  • Georges GrunGeorges Grun Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We dont see enough on 80s or even 90s guitar music on BBC4

the 60s and 70s - what most people are aware of anyway - has been done to death.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Part 2 on now...
    Covering the 70s...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alice Cooper gig on now.
  • maycontainnutsmaycontainnuts Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry But I loved all that so-called corporate rock. (No matter what genre or style in American music the $ was always the bottom line)
  • China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love Frampton comes alive, a great album
  • icestation2icestation2 Posts: 404
    Forum Member
    Apparently only black artists were singing about the 1970's American recession. I know, all those soulless white artists.

And supposedly white artists were only playing to white people - program shows black artist bemoaning this fact. Program insinuates that white artists were (1) racist for only playing to mostly white crowds, and (2) racist for not recognizing the black heritage of modern rock music.

In reality, white artists were happy to play to absolutely anyone. If black people didn't want to buy and listen to rock music unless it was played by black people, then that makes them racist. White artists and music fans have always brought, played and appreciated black music - albums sales overwhelmingly prove this fact.

And then the program crassly and racistly diminishes a whole genre of rock music just because it doesn't sound soulful enough. Yeah, I know because for rock music to have any credibility it MUST sound at least partly black.

This program was incredibly racist.
  • SgtRockSgtRock Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I couldn't quite understand why they played "My Sharona" near the end, but didn't namecheck The Knack, or indicate whether it was meant to be representative of punk or corporate rock, "good" or "bad".

And where did the change in FM radio come along, from the early 70s when supposedly played anything it wanted (and yet still apparently played "The Joker" 100 times a day) to the late 70s when it was full of corporate rock?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if Heart will be featured much in the 80's program, as they became part of the big hair rock brigade in that decade.
    All I saw in the 70's program was a couple of seconds of Nancy Wilson dancing about with her guitar.
    One of many band omissions I could pick on.
    Its picked too big a subject in 3 one hour programs and is achieving nothing.
  • terry45terry45 Posts: 2,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    China Girl wrote: »
    Love Frampton comes alive, a great album

One of the few LPs I still have. It was an early birthday present from my wife, though she was the girlfriend then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Part 3 now on air.
    Journey etc...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And Chicago - of course..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And Buggles, Duran Duran, depeche Mode...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eddie Van Halen...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if Heart will be featured much in the 80's program,

A few second snippet of Alone, and a mention that Heart regretted being part of the 80's hair rock scene.
    I am enjoying the 80's program more than the previous two.
    I am a big rock fan, but what strikes me about tonight's program as well, is too much attention is being given to bland chart crap.
    Bon Jovi, yaaaaawwwwnn !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few second snippet of Alone, and a mention that Heart regretted being part of the 80's hair rock scene.
    I am enjoying the 80's program more than the previous two.
    I am a big rock fan, but what strikes me about tonight's program as well, is too much attention is being given to bland chart crap.
    Bon Jovi, yaaaaawwwwnn !
    I think most of the American content WAS bland, compared to the stuff Brits produced. Along the same timeline - how many different styles and genres did we have gracing TOTP?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alcockell wrote: »
    I think most of the American content WAS bland, compared to the stuff Brits produced. Along the same timeline - how many different styles and genres did we have gracing TOTP?

I agree. I am a fan of a lot of American rock music. It seems though that the ones that had the most chart success in the 80's and I include Guns n Roses along with Van Halen and Motley Crue etc, were prize ********s who were pissed up and arseholes.

Yet a band such as Heart who I have come to appreciate more get a few seconds.
  • SgtRockSgtRock Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This episode was a lot more coherent and easier to follow than the previous two - probably because all the music was so unrelentingly awful, be it the overblown screeching of the hair metal bands or the overblown bluster of the "heartland" spokesmen.

If you want a truly great American rock album, listen to "Marquee Moon". Yet Television didn't even get a mention in this series.