Welcome To The Punch

Steve AWOLSteve AWOL Posts: 1,910
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I couldn't find an existing thread for this British movie so thought that I'd start one...

http://www.facebook.com/WelcomeToThePunch

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1684233/

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/welcome_to_the_punch/

Saw this up Odeon this evening and thought that it was an entertaining action-thriller with some nice shots of London' ever evolving skyline and good performances from the likes of McAvoy, Strong, Morrisey and Harris. 7/10

Comments

• KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member
    I thought it was dreadful, and it would have been a walkout were I not killing time before meeting someone.

Awful plot and full of z-list british actors doing their very worst cheesy hardmen impressions. Once Jason Flemyng appears on screen in any film you know you are in trouble. Even McAvoy, who I do like as an actor and was clearly there to elevate it above straight to dvd status, was pretty poor.
  • sinbad8982sinbad8982 Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Id say if you liked The Sweeney you will like this its marginally better than that but its no more than a 'worth watching' and one in hindsight I should have waited for the dvd/blu ray for.
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,037
    Forum Member
    It got to number 3 in the the box office charts but on a very low gross of £460k - I am sure the studio was hoping for more.
  • PhoenixRisesPhoenixRises Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw this on Saturday, I wouldn't say it is a terrible film but it wasn't brilliant either. The plot was quite mundane and easy enough to guess what was coming up next.

I would say its worth a watch if it comes on TV or Sky.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    sinbad8982 wrote: »
    Id say if you liked The Sweeney you will like this its marginally better than that but its no more than a 'worth watching' and one in hindsight I should have waited for the dvd/blu ray for.
    Much better then The Sweeney....which was awful.

An average plot, but done in a stylish way, with great action {fight scenes very good}...also...7/10

Loved the stand of with the Mum/Gran in the house.:eek:
  • Steve AWOLSteve AWOL Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stansfield wrote: »
    Much better then The Sweeney....which was awful.

An average plot, but done in a stylish way, with great action {fight scenes very good}...also...7/10

Loved the stand of with the Mum/Gran in the house.:eek:

I'm glad that someone agrees with me about this movie :) I really don't understand why Side Effects (which I watched last Wednesday) is getting such glowing reviews when it is just as predictable imo.

Yeah the stand-off was a tense scene with Johnny Harris being particularly menacing, although the slow-mo finale was a bit naff!
  • JackappleJackapple Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    was looking forward to seeing this until I started reading some bad reviews...not sure whether to bother now!