How do you know you have a Nail Varnish problem?

Comments

• ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anne C wrote: »
    Damn you, you made me count mine.
    171. Plus about 20 varieties of top coats.
    Now tell me which of us has the problem???
    But be advised, once upon a time I too only had 48...

Oh. My. GOD! Seriously?

I suddenly feel much better. I only have two topcoats.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I'd say I have just over 20 bottles, I use them all the time. I have a mix of dark and light colours. At the moment I'm wearing dark purple nail polish (Rimmel 60 Second Pompous shade). I mostly use the dark colours.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    (Rimmel 60 Second Pompous shade).

I've got that! I like the 60 seconds range a lot, I've got quite a few of them. Pompous is really nice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Damn you, you made me count mine.
    171. Plus about 20 varieties of top coats.
    Now tell me which of us has the problem???
    But be advised, once upon a time I too only had 48...

wowsers!
  • broonalebroonale Posts: 5,470
    Forum Member
    Oh heck.

You wanna give some to a good home?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    broonale wrote: »
    Here's me, with only about 20 or so.

Same! I don't have much to spend on nail polishes so I tend to stick with the same colours. I bought 6 today though! All Barry M!

I love their colour range and price :p but I really dont like the application, does anyone else feel the same?
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Elanor wrote: »
    I've got that! I like the 60 seconds range a lot, I've got quite a few of them. Pompous is really nice.

I like it 'cause it dries quickly and lasts fairly well too.
  • My Sweet LifeMy Sweet Life Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just counted mine, and I have 39 and most of them are by Barry M. :o I have two OPI ones I bought in America last year, and I love them but I don't know where I can get them here.
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    I favour dark colours too so I don't have quite the number some of you have! I just picked up a bottle of Barry M Instant Effects crackle stuff in black, I'll be trying it at the weekend.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    you can get opi on-line or some salons stock it! I get mine from work so i guess i'm really lucky!
  • Anne CAnne C Posts: 939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd say I have just over 20 bottles, I use them all the time. I have a mix of dark and light colours. At the moment I'm wearing dark purple nail polish (Rimmel 60 Second Pompous shade). I mostly use the dark colours.

Love the look of Pompous, bought it a couple of weeks ago but I haven't tried it out yet. I'm down to 170 though, I finished one last night!!! Good to clear a tiny space but sad as I love it - it's a dichromatic one that changes colour in different lights between lilac/pink and gold/green with a sort of greyish background. It's really cool, but sadly dead now :cry:
    I'm desperately resisting the urge to find a replacement bottle!
  • My Sweet LifeMy Sweet Life Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love the look of Pompous, bought it a couple of weeks ago but I haven't tried it out yet. I'm down to 170 though, I finished one last night!!! Good to clear a tiny space but sad as I love it - it's a dichromatic one that changes colour in different lights between lilac/pink and gold/green with a sort of greyish background. It's really cool, but sadly dead now :cry:
    I'm desperately resisting the urge to find a replacement bottle!

I've got one that sounds similar to that by Barry M, called "Dusky Mauve".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    I love nail polish too. Loving the skulls...where did you get them? :D

Has anyone tried the marbling technique?

I tried it on my wife's long nails about 3 weeks ago. Was harder than it looks on the videos. Part of the problem was that my wife has a hard time keeping her hand still with her hand held upside down putting the nail into the water. But when it was done, it was really cool. We didn't use the same polishes for each nail so in the end, there was almost too much color though.

And man is it messy!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love nail polish too. Loving the skulls...where did you get them? :D

Thanks! They were in Superdrug (on 3 for 2 at the moment) in the Andrea Fulerton range. They have chains and padlocks too.
    Forum Member
    Very messy, this marbling, but I like messy. Might just have a blast at this over the holiday break.
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    They were in Superdrug (on 3 for 2 at the moment) in the Andrea Fulerton range. They have chains and padlocks too.

Gothtastic! Thanks. :D

I will attempt marbling sometime!
  • eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to do nail art all the time - christmas transfers with green and red glitter at Christmas, the Welsh flag for the Rugby six nations... sadly I don't have the time any more - I just end up smudging and have to take it all off!
    I bought a set of nail pens a few years ago, but think transfers might be the way to go! I love Front Cover nail varnishes because they have dark metalic colours, but they've gone thick very quickly, so I wouldn't buy them again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That´s an impressive collection to rival any nail salon. It´s cheaper than having a thing for shoes and bags!
  • Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have about 62 and a couple of smaller bottles but I dont use them I only have them for show purposes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh god, I bought more! I now also have a bright blue and a mushroomy colour, both Barry M - they were on 2 for £4.99 so I had to. I now have lots that I've never worn yet, I need to get cracking!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 466
    Forum Member
    I think Ive got about 100, I just love painting my nails! I have ones that I should have in the bin now because theyre so thick but i just keep acetoning them down in the hope i can keep them longer. Im the worst in Boots when they have things like the Barry M on 3 for 2 which usually means ill go home with 6 of them at a time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    loulou58 wrote: »
    \I have ones that I should have in the bin now because theyre so thick but i just keep acetoning them down in the hope i can keep them longer.\.

It is best not to use acetone to thin old polish. Acetone is just a remover, its not one of the bases used in nail polish. They actually sell real nail polish thinner which is the compound in nail polish that evaporates and makes the polish thick. It is clear. The acetone just breaks down the polish which can really hurt its ability to be durable and shiny. The proper nail polish thinner won't hurt the polish and it will still be as shiny as ever and still be durable.

If you use acetone to thin polish and apply to your artificial nails, you will end up with a dull finish (the acetone reacts with the acrylic in the artificial nails).

http://www.sallybeauty.com/Nail-Polish-Thinner/SBS-163400,default,pd.html
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have over a hundred bottles, mostly of an American brand called Diamond Cosmetics because I used to sell it. Still have quite a lot of stock left but nowhere to sell it :-(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love nail varnish ,I've had a quick count and I've thirty that I can see now but there more hidden in draws no doubt .I bought that barry m crackle stuff off ebay but it just looked a total mess :o

I love barry m ,always had the brightest colours .I've got a coral colour on at the moment .I really want a bright yellow but I can't find one that doesn't come up whishy washy ?
    Forum Member
    Might have mentioned this here before somewhere. But I have 2 purple colors, both Laura Paige ones I think, that whenever I've used, they've left my nails stained yellow. This is despite using a base coat too. I'm thinking that it may be a pigment in the color, reacting to my nails. It's a shame really as they are both gorgeous colors.

Kinda like the glittery stuff too much, lol and also just a natural clear polish, just to give my nails a nice shine to them.