Options

N.Korea Sabre Rattling or Genuine Threat?

John146John146 Posts: 12,926
Forum Member
✭✭
N Korea are saying they are ready for all out war, and intend to scrap all treaties with the South after UN put sanctions in place.
Hope they are just flexing their muscles and do not proceed with any acts of war.

http://t.news.uk.msn.com/world/north-korea-steps-up-nuke-threats

Comments

• Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    They'll do nothing. China will turn them into dust within 10 minutes if little Kimmy decides to play toy soldiers.
  • Options
    redhatmattredhatmatt Posts: 5,197
    Forum Member
    This is certainly more serious and explicit than their other threats. One of the Journo's I forget where I read it said it could be the Dear leader trying to engineer the appearance of a crisis back home to unite the country It might suggest all is not well in the house of Kim.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like they have no ability to deliver the nuke warhead.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DPRK can only humiliate China so many times. It's playing fast and loose. If Beijing's patience snaps, then that is the end of the Kims and their little experiment.

Can't happen soon enough.
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    They are going to use the Icarus satellite to burn a way through the border for a mass invasion. The nuclear weapon is just a distraction.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Looks like they have no ability to deliver the nuke warhead.

sure they do. put it on a plane and fly it to seoul.

it's true that they have a bomb and probably no traditional delivery mechanism. but they don't really need one. they still do damage when not attached to an icbm.

and they are just crazy enough to do it.
  • Options
    timetosaygoodbytimetosaygoodby Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh please its more empty threats and postering because half the country is poor and bankrupt and the sanctions will make it worse plus even China has had enough
  • Options
    Forum Member
    oh please its more empty threats and postering because half the country is poor and bankrupt and the sanctions will make it worse plus even China has had enough

what makes you say china has had enough?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    sure they do. put it on a plane and fly it to seoul.

it's true that they have a bomb and probably no traditional delivery mechanism. but they don't really need one. they still do damage when not attached to an icbm.

and they are just crazy enough to do it.

Haha WW2-style. How....quaint.
  • Options
    Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    The DPRK can probably only to have two allies, a stronger one in that fo China and a softer trading partnership with that of Russia. China is still very much in transition right now as a result of the leadership change, we have still yet to find out what their stated position is, in comparison to that of Hu Jintao. I suspect given China's own domestic problems it will grow tired of the DPRK. There have been anecdotal suggestions that China is already beginning to strengthen the borders in the event of a refugee crisis.

I don't think North Korea have the ability as yet in which to launch a nuclear attack, evidence suggests they haven't managed to weaponise a nuclear warhead. I suspect it is all very much sabre rattling. The North knows it wouldn't dare launch any large scale attack, should China pull the plug then the whole political system in the DPRK would implode and collapse with no external support.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what makes you say china has had enough?

Because of it's recent demeanour at the Security Council.

China only has 2 reasons to keep the show afloat. As a buffer zone to keep the Yanks off their border, and to prevent millions of starving North Koreans from pouring over the border into a still very poor region of China.

DPRK is like a naughty child forever throwing tantrums to attract attention. A lot of it is for domestic use anyhow, to keep the 1984-style threat of invasion at boiling point and the people paranoid.

It's perfectly feasible there may come a time when China says "enough is enough" - which is the only scenario in which the regime will crumble.
  • Options
    CasualCasual Posts: 2,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sabre rattling. China won't back NK's aggressive stance. The NK generals know they'll get their arse kicked.
  • Options
    Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some of each I'd say. They are a genuine threat to South Korea and probably Japan. The part about the US is sabre-rattling because they don't have a missile that would reach and probably know they would be flattened if it did.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    trevgo wrote: »
    Because of it's recent demeanour at the Security Council.

China only has 2 reasons to keep the show afloat. As a buffer zone to keep the Yanks off their border, and to prevent millions of starving North Koreans from pouring over the border into a still very poor region of China.

DPRK is like a naughty child forever throwing tantrums to attract attention. A lot of it is for domestic use anyhow, to keep the 1984-style threat of invasion at boiling point and the people paranoid.

It's perfectly feasible there may come a time when China says "enough is enough" - which is the only scenario in which the regime will crumble.
    what do you mean their demeanour at the security council?

I don't have the access or the skills to interpret the body language of a chinese diplomat. but in terms of their actions they always vote in favour of sanctions and talk tough and then ignore them. i see no reason to believe the chinese have changed their minds.

those are the reasons why china supports the DPRK. and i see no reason for that to change.
  • Options
    redhatmattredhatmatt Posts: 5,197
    Forum Member
    Im suprised the Americans have not proposed chinese lead military action to deal with the NK problem. Even if NK became a chinese satellite state it would be more stable than this mess.
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    The Chubby leader wants to look like Billy Big Bollocks to his own people. Really can't see anything happening unless he wants his little country to be bombed into oblivion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    Haha WW2-style. How....quaint.

While putting a nuclear device on a plane sounds old-fashioned, Seoul is just 30 miles, or a four-minute flight, from the North Korean border.

The North is in its economic death throes and it's quite possible the regime will want to go out with a bang rather than a whimper.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    redhatmatt wrote: »
    Im suprised the Americans have not proposed chinese lead military action to deal with the NK problem. Even if NK became a chinese satellite state it would be more stable than this mess.

it does not surprise me.
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    Meilie wrote: »
    While putting a nuclear device on a plane sounds old-fashioned, Seoul is just 30 miles, or a four-minute flight, from the North Korean border.

The North is in its economic death throes and it's quite possible the regime will want to go out with a bang rather than a whimper.

You would not even need to land a plane - I wonder if N. Korea has any UAVs? - or a pilot willing enough to fly a light plane on a one way trip. Stick a bomb on one of those and when it is over Seoul push the button. A cloud burst could cause more extensive damage as well.
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would South Korea be able to withstand a full scale invasion from the north with the forces stationed there at the moment?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what do you mean their demeanour at the security council?

OK, try "action" instead of "demeanour". China supported the very sanctions that has kicked off Pyongyang's latest strop - and for the first time too.

I'd say that is a sign their patience is wearing thin, wouldn't you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Would South Korea be able to withstand a full scale invasion from the north with the forces stationed there at the moment?

Seoul is in range on the DPRK's fixed and mobile artillery positions at the border. there are something like 8,000 of them in range of seoul.

so the conventional wisdom is that they could level seoul very quickly. there are some alternative theories as to why it might not work as well as planned. but it would not be pretty.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meilie wrote: »

Oh, I would put nothing past them at all. One of the aspects that makes DPRK so unpredictable is the regime's complete and total disregard for it's population. They are merely expendable work units.

It's why the US should be putting as much pressure as possible on Beijing to pull the rug from under it. If China stopped shipping in the oil, it would be game over in no time.

It would not be like the falling of the Berlin Wall, however. 24 million brainwashed people in need of severe therapy. Even the trickle who manage to escape and find their way to the South rarely settle successfully. They have no conception of the things we take for granted - like money, for example.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    OK, try "action" instead of "demeanour". China supported the very sanctions that has kicked off Pyongyang's latest strop - and for the first time too.

I'd say that is a sign their patience is wearing thin, wouldn't you?

china has voted for sanctions before. and then ignored them.

you are never going to be able to work out what the chinese are doing. they may be perfectly happy with what the DPRK but realise that their interests are best served by condemning it in public.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh, I would put nothing past them at all. One of the aspects that makes DPRK so unpredictable is the regime's complete and total disregard for it's population. They are merely expendable work units.

It's why the US should be putting as much pressure as possible on Beijing to pull the rug from under it. If China stopped shipping in the oil, it would be game over in no time.

It would not be like the falling of the Berlin Wall, however. 24 million brainwashed people in need of severe therapy. Even the trickle who manage to escape and find their way to the South rarely settle successfully. They have no conception of the things we take for granted - like money, for example.
    the problem with cutting off the oil is you don't know what the dprk will do when cornered or in it's death throws. it seems very plausible that if KJU think he will be toppled he'll order firing on seoul, maybe something nuclear.

i realise i'm disagreeing with everything suggested. but i think there is no certainty. the situation is so much more complex and unpredictable when certain players are simply not rational, and others motives are unclear.