Can I take Paracetamol & Ibuprofen together?

HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Can I take 2 Sudafed (Paracetamol & Decongestant).. and 2 Ibuprofen together??

I also have asprin if that would be better..?

I have a bad weird headachey cold thing with blocked sinuses and pain.. :(

What would be the best combination..

I don't actually have the box/instructions for the asprin and ibuprofen - i just have the packets!

Comments

• Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Google it :confused:
  • fluffybunyipfluffybunyip Posts: 4,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I *think* you can, don't quote me on that. It's really best to take two now and the other two in two hours. You can't take aspirin and ibuprofen, I think both are NSAIDs. But make sure you check the strengths of the tablets before you take anything!
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »

I don't actually have the box/instructions for the asprin and ibuprofen - i just have the packets!

Did we not talk about this yesterday???

As long as you don't exceed 1g of Paracetamol - yes you can take 2 x 200mg Ibuprofen (400mg) safely together.
  • Tel69Tel69 Posts: 26,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can take Paracetamol and Nurofen together so I think you're ok.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cazza23 wrote: »
    Did we not talk about this yesterday???

As long as you don't exceed 1g of Paracetamol - yes you can take 2 x 200mg Ibuprofen (400mg) safely together.

I asked a slightly different question yesterday.. that was the number of Paracetamol only I could take..

I have since found I have Ibuprofen and Asprin at the back of a cupboard.. :D and I feel much worse and really want something thats gonna kill the pain so I can get to sleep..
    Feel so crap.. :(
  • Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mrs Teapot wrote: »
    Google it :confused:

I hope that didn't sound abrupt
    I wouldn't like to advise you in case it was the wrong advice
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I asked a slightly different question yesterday.. that was the number of Paracetamol only I could take..

I have since found I have Ibuprofen and Asprin at the back of a cupboard.. :D and I feel much worse and really want something thats gonna kill the pain so I can get to sleep..
    Feel so crap.. :(

Check the amount of Paracetamol in your Sudafed - it will probably be less than 1g anyway but still do it. The Paracetamol and Ibuprofen together are fine but because you can take fewer Ibuprofen in 24 hours (probably 6 but check if you can) than Paracetamol (probably 8 in 24 hours). It will be easier if you alternate them to ensure you can take the right number in a 24 hour period.

Hope you feel better soon!! ;)
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can, but it's best to stagger the doses i.e. let's say you take 400mg of ibuprofen every 6 hours and 1000mg of paracetamol every 6 hours, make it so that you take the ibuprofen--3 hours later-->paracetamol
    3 hours later-->ibuprofen, and so on.

I do this with Cuprofen Plus (ibuprofen & codeine) and either Paramol or Solpadeine Max (paracetamol & dihydrocodeine/codeine) when I've got a joint or muscle injury.

Iburprofen and paracetamol are from different drug 'groups' and do not metabolise together i.e. they don't combine in your body. The only things you should never mix are:

1. ibuprofen & aspirin
    2. ibuprofen type 'x' & ibuprofen type 'y' and
    3. paracetamol type 'x' & paracetamol type 'y',

because you could end up taking over the recommended dose and hurting your liver and kidneys.

If you're going to mix, it can only be aspirin and paracetamol or ibuprofren and paracetamol.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Sudafed tablets contain 300mg of Paracetamol

My Ibuprofen tablets are 400mg (quite strong!)

I've taken 2 of the Sudafeds and 1 of the Ibuprofens.

And I'm also benefitting from the de-congestant in the Sudafed.. :)

Hopefully I should feel a little better shortly..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Sudafed tablets contain 300mg of Paracetamol

My Ibuprofen tablets are 400mg (quite strong!)

I've taken 2 of the Sudafeds and 1 of the Ibuprofens.

And I'm also benefitting from the de-congestant in the Sudafed.. :)

Hopefully I should feel a little better shortly..

That sounds OK to me!!

Hope you get a good night's sleep!! :)
  • WillowFaeWillowFae Posts: 5,225
    Forum Member
    If our children are ill or in pain and it is really bad we do Calpol (paracetemol) followed by a nurofen based one 2 hours later, and then calpol again 2 hours after that etc. That is what pharmacists recommend.
  • TheFirstCutTheFirstCut Posts: 7,306
    Forum Member

Yes you can take paracetamol and Ibuprofen together, that is often recommended, I take co-codamol & Ibuprofen as directed by the doctor.

As mentioned above stagger the times you take them, saves both doses wearing off together.

Don't take Ibuprofen and Aspirin.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think people should be giving out medical advice on a forum, regardless of their personal experience and qualifications. OP if you need medical advice, I would contact NHS direct or a pharmacist. Ibuprofen is not a painkiller suited to everyone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think people should be giving out medical advice on a forum, regardless of their personal experience and qualifications. OP if you need medical advice, I would contact NHS direct or a pharmacist. Ibuprofen is not a painkiller suited to everyone.

Just what I was going to say. Ibuprofen makes me sick.

OP, go to a doctor or ring nhs direct.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just what I was going to say. Ibuprofen makes me sick.

OP, go to a doctor or ring nhs direct.

This thread is secondary to another thread about safe use of painkillers in which the contraindications to Ibuprofen were intimated to the OP. It was already made clear that Ibuprofen should only be taken if he knows that it agrees with him.:)

The OP has been given the same advice as would have been given by the helpful ladies at NHS direct
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed in principle, but how would NHS direct etc have any more knowledge of if ibuprofen is suited to the OP and also they did not ask if they can take ibuprofen, just if they can take it together with paracetamol.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I *think* you can, don't quote me on that. It's really best to take two now and the other two in two hours. You can't take aspirin and ibuprofen, I think both are NSAIDs. But make sure you check the strengths of the tablets before you take anything!

I regularly take 2 paracetamol and 2 ibuprofen at the same time because I am in a lot of pain.

One of my consultants has said if you are taking the two different medications like paracetamol and ibuprofen, it probably is best to do it at 2 hourly intervals, so paracetamol first, then ibuprofen, the paracetamol, upto the recommended maximum as it keeps the level constant in your system.

Rather than going on advice on a forum, I would suggest you get yourself down to your local chemist as they will be able to give you specific advice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bluechang wrote: »
    I regularly take 2 paracetamol and 2 ibuprofen at the same time because I am in a lot of pain.

One consultant has said if you are taking the two different medications, it probably is best to do it at 2 hourly intervals, so paracetamol first, then ibuprofen, the paracetamol, upto the recommended maximum.

If you are wanting professional advice, goto your local chemist and speak with them. It would be best doing this, rather than asking advice on a forum

Does this mean that doctors and pharmacists can't give answer a direct question on an internet forum???? :confused::confused::confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does this mean that doctors and pharmacists can't give answer a direct question on an internet forum???? :confused::confused::confused:

But how do we know that someone is a pharmacist or a doctor? The comment i have made about my consultant is based entirely for me, whilst sitting in front of my doctor.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But how do we know that someone is a pharmacist or a doctor?

No-one has claimed to be either, as far as I can tell......... it does not make the advice wrong.

The information which has been given is the same as is written on the literature given with the medication so no-one has suggested anything which is out of step with anyone else. The OP did not have the literature on the medication anyway but the compatibility of Paracetamol and Ibuprofen together is widely known and available in the public domain -not an obscure medical secret......... all of which is borne out by the fact that several FMs have suggested the same thing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No-one has claimed to be either, as far as I can tell......... it does not make the advice wrong.

The information which has been given is the same as is written on the literature given with the medication so no-one has suggested anything which is out of step with anyone else. The OP did not have the literature on the medication anyway but the compatibility of Paracetamol and Ibuprofen together is widely known and available in the public domain -not an obscure medical secret......... all of which is borne out by the fact that several FMs have suggested the same thing.

you asked me a question. I gave you an answer. Why have a go at me?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The comment i have made about my consultant is based entirely for me, whilst sitting in front of my doctor.

No - it is not just for you. It is standard advice for anyone who requires the combination of the two drugs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you asked a question. I gave you an answer. Why have a go at me?

I didn't. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't. :)

fair enough :)
  • sarahcssarahcs Posts: 8,734
    Forum Member
    I can, and do. A doctor told me to do it when I sprained my ankle.
    I don't know if you can, however.