Luke A vs Aaron

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So do you believe that they took 50% of Luke A's winnings away in retaliation?

In retaliation to being dull.
  • yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    GetHoppy wrote: »
    In retaliation to being dull.

:D:D:D Of course.
  • TeekyPieTeekyPie Posts: 1,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Comparing the 2 C5 BB winners:

1 was quirky, funny, stroppy, awkward & endearing (yet pathetic)

The other was dull, desperate, monatone, un-interesting, sneakily bitchy & also pathetic.

Honestly could not for the life of me work out which one was which until i read the rest. Add calculating and fake to both.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    at least Aaron didnt play the 'i'm gay/tranny/something wrong with me so therefore i need to be accepted' sob story card.

Aaron was not gay (and 'tranny' is extremely rude), which is totally irrelevant. I thought he was a good housemate in a series with almost no good housemates. He was bright, funny, articulate, knew BB inside out. I never really warmed to him - he was a bit of a cold-eyed player imo. There were a couple of incidents where he came over really badly.

Luke was also a good housemate - also bright, articulate and thoughtful, but much nicer. He would not, for example, have given seven different explanations for a decision that might have made him look bad in a rattled attempt to find one that would play well as Aaron did. He would not have made (and indeed, didn't make) a deal to split any possible winnings, then break it. He won honestly and straightforwardly by making a lot of people like him very much, and it is beyond tiresome that bitter bad losers can't let go of the fact that he had a 'back story'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    at least Aaron didnt play the 'i'm gay/tranny/something wrong with me so therefore i need to be accepted' sob story card.

But he did 'pretend' * to be a ladies man to get into the house and openly admitted that..... is that ok?

* I actually think he might not have been pretending but he just realised SH*T I'm going to look bad in front of faye so he changed his story
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TeekyPie wrote: »
    But he did 'pretend' * to be a ladies man to get into the house and openly admitted that..... is that ok?

* I actually think he might not have been pretending but he just realised SH*T I'm going to look bad in front of faye so he changed his story

No, actually I thought that was true and interesting. He said that he had repeatedly applied with his own personality and got nowhere, so had resorted to doing an obnoxious, arrogant audition and had been accepted.
  • ScrubberScrubber Posts: 4,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I disliked Aaron and EVERY mate in the house of that series.

I liked Luke A.
  • Noisy OysterNoisy Oyster Posts: 1,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aaron was not gay (and 'tranny' is extremely rude), which is totally irrelevant. I thought he was a good housemate in a series with almost no good housemates. He was bright, funny, articulate, knew BB inside out. I never really warmed to him - he was a bit of a cold-eyed player imo. There were a couple of incidents where he came over really badly.

Luke was also a good housemate - also bright, articulate and thoughtful, but much nicer. He would not, for example, have given seven different explanations for a decision that might have made him look bad in a rattled attempt to find one that would play well as Aaron did. He would not have made (and indeed, didn't make) a deal to split any possible winnings, then break it. He won honestly and straightforwardly by making a lot of people like him very much, and it is beyond tiresome that bitter bad losers can't let go of the fact that he had a 'back story'.

Surely Aaron also had a back story - a disabled ex-wife and a son - but this went against BB's dislike of him so was not allowed to be shown in a sympathetic light, only in terms of him using Faye to get air-time and he would run straight back to his wife when he won (which, of course, he didn't). Any housemate has a potential back story, everyone has a family and has lost people they were close to, everyone has been to school and done well/badly, everyone has had some kind of career and done well/badly so you can turn anyone's life into a sob story if you wish to do so.

I liked them both. Aaron was funny, articulate, ran rings round Big Brother and the other contestants, was at times vulnerable, unhappy, played out the painful early stages of a courtship between two people who had just left long-term relationships under the pressure of being in the BB house and was in all respects completely human. As I've said before, I liked Luke A because of his behaviour in the house. He was nice, funny, articulate and clearly devoted to his wife but suffered from air-time being dominated by the most unpleasant bunch of housemates ever seen in BB. There were many occasions when he and Adam (who also had a corker of a back story) were laughing together but we never saw what at. They too had a friendship which grew in the house but we were never allowed to see how that bond formed. It was only through Deana and the soldiers thing that we were really allowed to see what Adam and Luke were like together and most of the people watching liked those two very, very much.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, actually I thought that was true and interesting. He said that he had repeatedly applied with his own personality and got nowhere, so had resorted to doing an obnoxious, arrogant audition and had been accepted.

Why did you say "no"? That's my opinion.... Unless you're responding to "is that ok". I was defending Luke A for once, you should be happy :p

If that person thinks Luke A relied on a story to get through BB, then why don't they apply the same to Aaron who they liked, but is a person who openly relied on a story to get into BB

^that sentence doesnt make much sense but hope you follow :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh, he definitely was pretending. I have seen a clip where he walks up to Faye on the entrance night, having seen this vision coming down the stairs and asks her 'Are your toes always green?' (she was wearing green nail polish) then turns away cringing, having realised what a prat he looked :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, he definitely was pretending. I have seen a clip where he walks up to Faye on the entrance night, having seen this vision coming down the stairs and asks her 'Are your toes always green?' (she was wearing green nail polish) then turns away cringing, having realised what a prat he looked :D

I don't know... I felt like he played Faye all the way through, treated her like crap, and I'm VERY surprised they're still together, I can only imagine it's just convenient for him. He seemed used to having women begging at him all the time no matter what he does wrong.
  • SourGrapesSourGrapes Posts: 4,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I far prefer Luke out of the two, and even though he wasn't my favourite housemate in BB13 he is one of my favourite winners ever. I wasn't a big Aaron fan at the time and looking back I like him even less, he was a fairly big character but I do wonder if the series might have been better if he'd left - I wasn't too interested in his relationship with Faye and really didn't like the way he looked down on other housemates, in contrast Luke often seemed to look for the good in people (with the exception of Luke S!) and came across as a much more likeable bloke
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why did you say "no"? That's my opinion.... Unless you're responding to "is that ok". I was defending Luke A for once, you should be happy :p

If that person thinks Luke A relied on a story to get through BB, then why don't they apply the same to Aaron who they liked, but is a person who openly relied on a story to get into BB

^that sentence doesnt make much sense but hope you follow :)

:D Help. My feelings are mixed on Aaron, but I genuinely think his tittish VT was, as he claimed, a persona to get into the show (as was to a lesser extent true of Luke A, who ramped up the laddish confidence to an absurd extent, only forgiven because other peoples' were far worse. They say what they have to to get into the house.)

But you are right, loads of them have a 'back story' of some kind. It is a wearisome feature of this forum that people find it so hard to admit that someone they didn't support won on their own merits. It is always 'a sympathy vote' or 'the Welsh vote' or 'an anti-x vote' or 'block voting' or some other feeble excuse.

I think Aaron and Luke A won for interestingly identical reasons: by securing the affections of the largely female voters who decide the outcome. Just look at their appreciation threads, or in Luke's case, as the facebook fan group - they are a sea of oestrogen. It explains imo the most baffling BB winner ever: the perma-whiny Ulrika beating the tough, amusing Terry Christian. One of them appealed more to women, the other one to men. There aren't enough men voting to make someone win.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,114
    Forum Member
    Once again Aaron owns a DS thread :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Silver-Fox wrote: »
    Once again Aaron owns a DS thread :)

:confused: What name is he posting under?
  • ruffleruffle Posts: 4,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    liked both
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know... I felt like he played Faye all the way through, treated her like crap, and I'm VERY surprised they're still together, I can only imagine it's just convenient for him. He seemed used to having women begging at him all the time no matter what he does wrong.

To be fair to them both, that was the impression that the voiceovers from Marcus Bentley and the whole of Bit on the Side tried to give. Faye told a whole different story when she was voted out and stuck up for him even after being told by a producer Aaron was just using her. I'm sure she's a big part of the reason he won. Last I heard, Faye's mother worshipped the ground he walks on and Aaron and Faye have opened a bar together in Weston, including offering work-related training to young people in the area.
    Forum Member
    To be fair to them both, that was the impression that the voiceovers from Marcus Bentley and the whole of Bit on the Side tried to give. Faye told a whole different story when she was voted out and stuck up for him even after being told by a producer Aaron was just using her. I'm sure she's a big part of the reason he won. Last I heard, Faye's mother worshipped the ground he walks on and Aaron and Faye have opened a bar together in Weston, including offering work-related training to young people in the area.

Is that work related training about pulling pints?:D
  • amelie74amelie74 Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    Both were my favourites in their respective BBs but on balance I preferred Aaron to Luke A.
  • HosaiHosai Posts: 1,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I preferred Luke A. Aaron was definitely brighter than your average housemate but I got the sense that he genuinely thought he was better than everyone and I couldn’t stand that smugness. (Luke A had this a tiny bit aswell but not quite so bad).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that work related training about pulling pints?:D

Actually I think it's something along the lines of IT, but even pulling pints is customer service, useful for other jobs such as retail, call centre work etc.
  • ValWValW Posts: 1,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2 introverted winners
    Are you using that word in its correct definition or just an alternative word for "shy" or "boring"?

Introvert and extrovert are specific psychological terms defining how we relate to the world and other people. Neither tendency is, in itself, better or worse than the other, just as being left handed is no better or worse than being right handed.

So yes, Aaron and Luke A both won BB by using their introverted characteristics to best effect. Both of them had everyone quickly sussed out. Aaron then used that knowledge to play people off, including BB themselves. Luke used it to keep his head whilst all around him were losing theirs. He has a strong moral code and always knew he should never get involved in the nastiness simply to give himself an easier ride. Plus, for those of you calling Luke boring, don't forget we only saw those few minutes the editors allowed us to see. Apparently he and Adam had a Jackass-style Dare Of The Day thing going on which we never got to see.

If your own personal taste in HMs is you'd rather have an extrovert than an introvert winner, fair enough. But if the chief extroverts happen to be as horrible as they've been in the past couple of years, don't be surprised when the viewers would rather warm to the clearest-thinking introvert.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,927
    Forum Member
    So do you believe that they took 50% of Luke A's winnings away in retaliation?
    No.

If I did, that's what I would have written.
    Forum Member
    YesNoMan wrote: »
    No.

If I did, that's what I would have written.

Yet they did with Aaron:confused: I suspect when C5 took over they decided they would always split the prize winnings. They did it with Aaron and they did it with Luke A. Nothing sinister.
  • shortiefluffshortiefluff Posts: 3,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If these series had one clear bitchy character like Chrley Uchea in Caroline they both also had clear winners from the off. Aaron won it in week 3 when for the 2nd time he topped the vote and his on-off thing started with Faye. Luke A had a story and once he told it people though he'd fade away but due to the 2 groups forming and the soliders in the last few weeks showing themselves as a strong unit, then it became obvious he'd win. They were both in years where there was horrible, odious characters such as Jay, Anton, Aden, Connor, Caroline,Becky,Luke S and Ashleigh and maybe if they hadnt been so nasty then maybe these 2 wouldnt have won.

At least it wasnt quite as obvious with this series as last year due to BB learning from last years mistakes, except for the Connor debacle, with the fair editing and the majority of the hms being shown. Luke A was shown as a nice guy and as one of the 'outsiders' he was always going to win. Deana lost it with her behaviour in the last week and Adam didnt feel like an obvious winner to me.

Aaron won via the anti-Jay vote which was stronger than the pro-Jay vote. Plus Jay was a disgusting human being, Louise was borrrriiiinnnngggg, Alex was a fraud, Tom was quiet and so he stood out. He played the game well, defeated the bad guys(Anton, Jay, Aden) and endeared himself to the oublic with his relationship as he fell in love in front of our eyes. How anyone can say they were fake astounds me. It was obvious how they felt from very early on. They are still together and proving the doubters, Jen included wrong.

In conclusion both hms were good in their own series but im not sure they'd have won in another series. Josie was obvious from day one and now she's out she's shown herself to be a bit of a fraud. Faking a relationship, at least from her side, was a nasty thing to do. I will admit that i fell for the JJJ thing but once she broke up with John James and chose to bad mouth him every given minute (i know he did it too, but nowhere near as bad as her), i have lost any feelings i had that i belived she deserved her win. Looking back she played the best game. She fooled us all.