"pffft. It won't run on that!"

I have a fair few computers and laptops knocking about the house running windows xp, vista or 7 and some running various linux distros ubuntu, mint, zorin and the like. All of them not brilliant by any stretch (they,re mostly from recycling shops on ebay picked up for no more than £30 each)

The other day I downloaded windows 8 enterprise eval. (lasts for 90 days) and told my mate i was going to install it on an old RM Ascend 2050 pentium D @ 2.5 Ghz and 2 GB of Ram with intel G41 built in graphics His reply was the title of this thread.

Well, it runs perfect on a par with xp when that was on it and as quick as any linux distros I've tried on it, apart from puppy linux of coarse ( I swear puppy'd run with no memory installed at all:D)

Can't wait wipe the smug grin off his face haha

But will I be keeping windows 8 when the 90 days are up?

Probably not.

Comments

• s2ks2k Posts: 7,419
    Forum Member
    I'm actually more surprised that PC is still working at all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    s2k wrote: »
    I'm actually more surprised that PC is still working at all.

True Speccy as of today informs me that the hard drive in it has been powered up more than 5560 times and for a total of 900+ days
    Forum Member
    True Speccy as of today informs me that the hard drive in it has been powered up more than 5560 times and for a total of 900+ days
    You must have got lucky. Or it has been Frankenstein'd. :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You must have got lucky. Or it has been Frankenstein'd. :cool:

Oh yeah it's been in bits and put back 'gether more times than I care to remember But if you think where most RM stuff goes Schools mostly with kids sticking pens in the vents and God knows what else It's done rather well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just noticed that my DVD drive isn't being recognised in my computer or device manager nor does Speccy see it If any one has any Ideas Thanks in advance
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The main factor for modern operating systems is the Ram amount, hard-drive speed and graphics system.

Unless we were talking a 500Mhz Celeron based machine of course... No amount of ram would help that run well.

The Intel G41 is GMA X4500 and is bad for games but for the 2d transitions of typical Windows OS is fast enough. Also will accelerate video fine.

Really such a machine as the OP has will be fine for most of everything other than modern 3D games.

Most people don't need the mega-fast systems but think they do. They could save themselves a lot of money by not buying them.
    Forum Member
    Oh yeah it's been in bits and put back 'gether more times than I care to remember But if you think where most RM stuff goes Schools mostly with kids sticking pens in the vents and God knows what else It's done rather well.
    That is probably the only good thing RM had going for them. The cases are rock solid since they are designed to take a lot of abuse.

Component-wise....its all the cheapest guff they can find laying around. They were the only OEM I know of that were selling new Windows 7 machines last year with 1GB RAM and a Celeron CPU and still managed to retail it at over £500 ex VAT!
    Just noticed that my DVD drive isn't being recognised in my computer or device manager
    Is it listed in the BIOS? If not then check the power and SATA cables are seated correctly. They did have a habbit of shipping duff optical drives in the past but usually the fault was with the lense rather than it not being picked up at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is probably the only good thing RM had going for them. The cases are rock solid since they are designed to take a lot of abuse.

Component-wise....its all the cheapest guff they can find laying around. They were the only OEM I know of that were selling new Windows 7 machines last year with 1GB RAM and a Celeron CPU and still managed to retail it at over £500 ex VAT!

Is it listed in the BIOS? If not then check the power and SATA cables are seated correctly. They did have a habbit of shipping duff optical drives in the past but usually the fault was with the lense rather than it not being picked up at all.

Yeah its listed in the bios its what I used to install windows 8 yesterdayIt says I have a floppy drive connected when there isn't mind you every OS thats ever been on it has said there is a floppy connected.
    Forum Member
    If you set the floppy drive controller to disabled in the BIOS it should hide it from the OS also.

The DVD drive is a strange one though, guessing a Windows 8 glitch since it worked long enough to install it. I know XP had a bug whereby you could kill your CD drive by installing certain burning/ripping software but even then it still showed in device manager. All the PCs I work on are XP or 7 so dont know what to suggest sorry.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you set the floppy drive controller to disabled in the BIOS it should hide it from the OS also

Thanks that got that sorted.
    And a change in the registry got my dvd drive back
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What does Pffft. mean?
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What does Pffft. mean?

It's a disparaging noise, made with the teeth and lips. ;)