My Knights in Shining Armour, help, please..

angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Whenever I've had PC/lappy problems you've always come to my aid.

Please can you help me again.

Please respond in words of one syllable if possible, I'm really not too bright.

Long story shortened version, had that 'dosearches' browser hijacker on my Asus notepad, asked a friend to help and now can't get on the internet.

I do not have a recovery disc, how do I do a factory reset. Don't mind what I lose as all photos are on my PC and backed up on a hard drive.

Just want to be able to use my laptop.

Again, thank you for your help, it helps!

Comments

• IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you have Windows 7 or 8, before reinstalling, right-click on the network symbol on the taskbar and select 'Troubleshoot problems', it may help.
  • angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    If you have Windows 7 or 8, before reinstalling, right-click on the network symbol on the taskbar and select 'Troubleshoot problems', it may help.

Thank you, I'll try that.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could it be something as simple as the WiFi has been turned off? There could be a dedicated button/switch on the machine or a combination of the Fn and one of the F keys to switch it on and off.

The other possibility is that the details to connect to your WiFi network have been deleted. So you need to select your network from the list (click on the network icon on the Taskbar and a list of available networks should pop up). Click the Connect button that should appear when you click on your network name. Then enter the security password your network uses when prompted.
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Try using System Restore to roll your computer back to when you could connect to the net. You can always undo the restore if it doesn't work. Don't interrupt the restore once it starts!
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,410
    Forum Member
    I do not have a recovery disc, how do I do a factory reset. Don't mind what I lose as all photos are on my PC and backed up on a hard drive.

Just want to be able to use my laptop.
    What is the make and model of the laptop?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    DO NOT do a full factory reset without backing your photos, important, best, or favourites stuff on an external source (SD card, USB/external disk drive) first, Once you do a full factory reset without backing it all up, you've lost EVERYTHING and you're ****ed!!!

I also advise you to get an external back up system as well.
    I recommend an external hard drive or a large capacity USB flash drive.
    Believe me, I know what it's like to lose a lot of my favourite, best stuff that's taken me ages to do and not backed it all up.
    Good news is I managed to salvage a few pages but I've had to redo the rest of it.