I wouldn't be surprised if the new head judge...

DrPepperDrPepper Posts: 2,655
Forum Member
✭✭✭
...is young enough to appeal to the younger audience.

But old enough to have the respect of the older audience.

Has sold zillions of records.

Sold out numerous headline tours.

Been the target of tabloids.

Been a movie star.

Acted on the stage.

Performed in West End musicals.

Doesn't particularly like Simon Cowell.

Is not particularly liked by Simon Cowell.

Respects Simon Cowell.

Is respected by Simon Cowell.

Will stand up to Simon Cowell.

Will be prepared to be used by Simon Cowell to get extra publicity.

Is not really part of the Simon Cowell hareem.

Sort of is part of the Simon Cowell hareem.

is Will Young.

That's what I think anyway!

Comments

• _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will Young is my dream judge but I don't think it will ever happen, unfortunately. Life isn't that kind.
  • abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    reminds me of when he was in the panel of question time...
  • tvmad999tvmad999 Posts: 1,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it really was Will Young, the show would finally collapse for good!
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Idol managed to steady the boat (very briefly) in the first season after Cowell left. They did it by not replacing him directly. For X Factor that might not be the worst idea.

Particularly on X Factor, Cowell's value on the panel wasn't just as a judge, it was the fact he was the boss. So when people raged against manipulation and fixes, they blamed him and they could see him. He was the one that handed out the record deals too. Barlow just seems to be regarded as a judge and nothing more - with faceless producers doing the manipulating. Cowell's shadow is still very much looming over the show.

I think the other difference is that, the Idol panel in 2010 was the worst it ever had. So improving on it was easy. Even the Randy/Paula/Simon panel had probably grown a bit stale. Whereas in the UK, Simon/Cheryl/Dannii/Louis just came off a ridiculously successful year in 2010 and the buzz around that group was incredible.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Will Young would be a good judge as he been there and done that.

But not sure if Simon would have him as didnt they have a big fall out or something .
  • PuterkidPuterkid Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    It won't happen for several reasons, but the main one is that there is certainly no love lost between Will and Simon!
    I would love to see Will judging on a singing talent show, it would have to be one with class and integrity, not the X factor!
  • MargueriteMarguerite Posts: 2,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IBut not sure if Simon would have him as didnt they have a big fall out or something .

I'm not so sure if Simon has the final word. He wanted rid of Gary didn't he? but the producers overuled him.
    That said, it's all business for Simon and I doubt personal feelings would interfere with hiring anyone he though might halt the ratings slide whoever that might be.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I certainly don't think Will Young would want to be used by Cowell to get extra publicity; and being part of Cowell's "hareem" was never on the cards. Thank goodness for Simon Fuller.

Yes he would make a good judge, but after the debacle with The Voice, I very much doubt it would happen.
  • LW09LW09 Posts: 3,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marguerite wrote: »
    I'm not so sure if Simon has the final word. He wanted rid of Gary didn't he? but the producers overuled him.
    That said, it's all business for Simon and I doubt personal feelings would interfere with hiring anyone he though might halt the ratings slide whoever that might be.

Simon did get his own way with Nicole. ITV seemed to want anyone but Nicole.
  • QuiteInterestedQuiteInterested Posts: 1,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MJS wrote: »
    I certainly don't think Will Young would want to be used by Cowell to get extra publicity; and being part of Cowell's "hareem" was never on the cards. Thank goodness for Simon Fuller.

Yes he would make a good judge, but after the debacle with The Voice, I very much doubt it would happen.

I thought he'd been signed up to do the next series of the Voice? Or has that fallen through too?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought he'd been signed up to do the next series of the Voice? Or has that fallen through too?

He was lined up to do the first series of The Voice but then the producers changed their mind and went with Danny from The Script, apparently because they wanted someone 'alternative' (because The Script are well known for their diverse music, obviously. :rolleyes:) I doubt Will would return now, I don't think he was particularly happy about being messed about in that way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _elly001 wrote: »
    He was lined up to do the first series of The Voice but then the producers changed their mind and went with Danny from The Script, apparently because they wanted someone 'alternative' (because The Script are well known for their diverse music, obviously. :rolleyes:) I doubt Will would return now, I don't think he was particularly happy about being messed about in that way.

Yeah, I know about that. Thought it was a bit out of order, the way they offered it to him, then took it away again, but I'd heard he'd been approached for the next series? Although according to Telemix, the original line up are returning. :confused:

Shame, I think Will would be great on The Voice. Can't see him ever doing X Factor purely because of the Simon Cowell association...... Personally speaking I'd love it. Will Young on the main show and Rylan on Xtra Factor. Serious touch or what?! :D Never gonna happen though unfortunately. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, I know about that. Thought it was a bit out of order, the way they offered it to him, then took it away again, but I'd heard he'd been approached for the next series? Although according to Telemix, the original line up are returning. :confused:

Shame, I think Will would be great on The Voice. Can't see him ever doing X Factor purely because of the Simon Cowell association...... Personally speaking I'd love it. Will Young on the main show and Rylan on Xtra Factor. Serious touch or what?! :D Never gonna happen though unfortunately. :(

Yeah, it was definitely out of order. Danny isn't too bad as a judge but I honestly think Will would have been a lot better. He's super witty and intelligent and genuinely has industry credentials. Amazing to think he's been around for as long as he has whilst continuing to improve his musical output. Jealousy was one of my favourite songs of last year and Echoes was a really good album. Plus I saw him in Cabaret and he was beyond amazing! I love Will. :)

I hadn't heard that he's been approached for the new series of The Voice but I did hear all the original judges are returning so anything could happen, I guess. I'd rather he did XF than The Voice. The Voice was okay but seriously flawed as a format. I think he'd be a really good fit on the XF panel if he took Gary's place.
  • MargueriteMarguerite Posts: 2,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will's been a mentor on XFactor the year Alexandra won and at judges house with Cheryl the year Joe won.

However frosty the relationship between Simon & Will is, it obviously didn't prevent him from working on the show or for Simon to thank him live on air for the help he'd given the contestants as a mentor.

That said, I think it's more likely I'd win the lottery than, a. they would ask Will and, b. he'd say "yes". :D
  • soulloversoullover Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt it-with Cowell's limited horizons it's more likely to be someone who's always in the headlines(for good or bad).

Let's hope it's Rylan and it kills of the show for good!:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, it was definitely out of order. Danny isn't too bad as a judge but I honestly think Will would have been a lot better. He's super witty and intelligent and genuinely has industry credentials. Amazing to think he's been around for as long as he has whilst continuing to improve his musical output. Jealousy was one of my favourite songs of last year and Echoes was a really good album. Plus I saw him in Cabaret and he was beyond amazing! I love Will. :)

I hadn't heard that he's been approached for the new series of The Voice but I did hear all the original judges are returning so anything could happen, I guess. I'd rather he did XF than The Voice. The Voice was okay but seriously flawed as a format. I think he'd be a really good fit on the XF panel if he took Gary's place.

I didn't go and see Cabaret, gotta admit it didn't really appeal to me. Didn't see him in the Vortex either. I do try and make an effort to go to his tours though. Echoes is definitely his best album to date, I love it. I think the change of direction he's taking with his music is the best move he could have ever made. Been a huge fan since PI (I probably know you from "elsewhere" actually. ;) ) And totally agree, he'd be great on the XF panel as head judge, just can't see it happening.
    Marguerite wrote: »
    Will's been a mentor on XFactor the year Alexandra won and at judges house with Cheryl the year Joe won.

Yes, but being a mentor at one of the judges houses and actually being on the panel are two completely different things, IMO. :)
    soullover wrote: »
    Let's hope it's Rylan

OMG, how much would I seriously LOVE this?!!! But it's a 99.9% certainty he's taking over from Olly on Xtra Factor, unfortunately. (Notice I cut off the rest of your quote? lmao) :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see why they need another male on the panel. The Voice has three guys and one girl. But 90% of the hysteria on these shows is generated by the women. And as we've seen with Barlow, the guys just get a hard time for playing the Simon Cowell role.

So why not Louis joined by Nicole, Sharon and Cheryl?

Would be absolutely perfect, IMO. Could they get Nicole and Cheryl on the same panel? They ought to try their hardest anyway.
  • fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member
    C14E wrote: »
    I don't see why they need another male on the panel. The Voice has three guys and one girl. But 90% of the hysteria on these shows is generated by the women. And as we've seen with Barlow, the guys just get a hard time for playing the Simon Cowell role.

Would be absolutely perfect, IMO. Could they get Nicole and Cheryl on the same panel? They ought to try their hardest anyway.

HAhah! If people want TV, Cheryl and Nicole would be perfect because Nicole gets on Cheryl's nerves really easily but be prepared to see the darker side of Cheryl's character then...Not to rant about Cheryl but she is the most in genuine person in he world. She backstabs everyone (Simon, Nadine), acts like a complete biatch (Nicole, Katie, Cher) and then has this superiority complex about her (esp. with Nicole). Hate her guts. But this would make nice TV.

Sharon being there with Cheryl would be interesting too - Sharon hates the pretty girls except Nicole (she really likes Nicole I think) but tbh I think Dannii overexaggerated. Sharon tried to get a bit of banter going and acted like she does with Louis/Simon but Dannii is too no-nonsense for that...gets on my nerves really.

Anyway would love to see the threesome there with Barlow. Cheryl being finally revealed as the wicked witch she is, will be my highlight.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    C14E wrote: »

They've been trying to get Cheryl back for a while now and it seems she won't budge. If we are to believe Cheryl really does not like Nicole, I can only see those chances are even more remote.

Only if Nicole stepped down and they offered Cheryl a fortune would she agree in my opinion, but look what happened last year - Nicole slayed it. She was a fashion plate, funny, entertaining (she put "Schermazing!" in the dictionary), she's beautiful and she even WON her category. So she ain't going nowhere and ITV will be probably be doubling her fee this year.

As it's their 10th I can see Sharon coming back and Michal Buble or Will Young in the head judge's chair. Buble is doubtful because it's a gamble popularity wise (as Gary found out) and he doesn't really need it. Will Young might do it because I think he would enjoy the notoriety and he missed out on The Voice last year.

So: Louis, Sharon, Nicole and Will Young.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 338
    Forum Member
    jackbell wrote: »

I agree
  • fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member
    Nobody like my Jared Leto, Adam Levine, Justin Timberlake and Enrique Iglesias idea?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HAhah! If people want TV, Cheryl and Nicole would be perfect because Nicole gets on Cheryl's nerves really easily but be prepared to see the darker side of Cheryl's character then...Not to rant about Cheryl but she is the most in genuine person in he world. She backstabs everyone (Simon, Nadine), acts like a complete biatch (Nicole, Katie, Cher) and then has this superiority complex about her (esp. with Nicole). Hate her guts. But this would make nice TV.

In fairness, Nicole made an open play for her job, Simon convinced her to go to the US then fired her after 2 weeks and didn't even tell her personally, Cher bad mouthed her all over the press and Nadine seemed to fall out of favour with every member of Girls Aloud, 99.9% of the national media and the population as a whole.
    Sharon being there with Cheryl would be interesting too - Sharon hates the pretty girls except Nicole (she really likes Nicole I think) but tbh I think Dannii overexaggerated. Sharon tried to get a bit of banter going and acted like she does with Louis/Simon but Dannii is too no-nonsense for that...gets on my nerves really.

Sharon hated Dannii because she thought she got the job because Simon was screwing her. Mrs O lives in Hollywood - and as such must spend considerably more time with better looking people than Dannii Minogue! She was quite pleasant when asked about Cheryl in the past and Nicole was her judges houses helper way back in 2007.

I suspect the biggest issue between Sharon and Cheryl would be Louis. He has made a few digs I think and Sharon would probably side with him if he and Cheryl really did fall out. On the other hand I've read that Louis and Cheryl stayed in touch after the US debacle so who knows what to believe!
    jackbell wrote: »
    They've been trying to get Cheryl back for a while now and it seems she won't budge. If we are to believe Cheryl really does not like Nicole, I can only see those chances are even more remote.

It all depends where she thinks things are going. Earlier this year she knew she had the Girls Aloud reunion to her own lower solo sales weren't a huge issue. But it now seems GA aren't going anywhere. The US legal issue is either going to prevent her return or be he cause of it, I suspect. A settlement in a few months is the perfect instigator for her return.
    Only if Nicole stepped down and they offered Cheryl a fortune would she agree in my opinion, but look what happened last year - Nicole slayed it. She was a fashion plate, funny, entertaining (she put "Schermazing!" in the dictionary), she's beautiful and she even WON her category. So she ain't going nowhere and ITV will be probably be doubling her fee this year.

When praising anyone last year, I think it's important to get some context around it. In 2 years, the show lost 6 million viewers from the 2010 final to the 2012 final. During which period, the ex judges have commanded more media buzz than the current panel. The fact that Cheryl and Simon are continually linked with a return - even during the series - highlights that fact.

If ITV pay any of them more money then they're nuts. Even if we accept Nicole was good, it's hard to believe that she brought viewers on a scale significant enough to justify a large salary. It's not like things picked up when she came onto the panel after the auditions.

Everyone's job is on the line this year. ITV might have stuck up for Barlow last time but after shedding millions more, they're likely to be less passionate in their defence. X Factor 2006 dropped 400,000 and the perfectly inoffensive Kate Thornton got fired and they added a fourth judge. What do think Simon might do after two series that each lost 2 million viewers? :D

Fact is, if Simon, Cheryl or even Dannii give ITV the slightest impression they'd come back, then they would be able to pick and choose who they work with. ITV need to get back viewers on day one of the next series. So they need to make appointments that send a message before the series even begins. In the absence of Rihanna, Katy Perry or Adele agreeing to it, bringing back a high profile judge seems like the only option ITV have.
    As it's their 10th I can see Sharon coming back and Michal Buble or Will Young in the head judge's chair. Buble is doubtful because it's a gamble popularity wise (as Gary found out) and he doesn't really need it. Will Young might do it because I think he would enjoy the notoriety and he missed out on The Voice last year.

I just can't see Will taking on the Cowell role - he's too smart and he knows it's just a trap. Nor can I see Simon giving him it. There may be a mutual respect and there is no real bad blood between them. By the same point, there's not much warmth either. Barlow was very much in the "friend of the show" category. Would Cowell be comfortable with Will in such a prominent position? And would Will be comfortable working for Cowell with constant comparisons? And then there's Simon Fuller.

I'm also not convinced that Will is the kind of name or personality to get the press buzzing over the summer and bring in viewers early on. I could imagine him doing a good job on this kind of show but not being a stand out.

In a male judge, I think they might want to go the Steven Tyler route. Someone completely "out there" - so established in the public eye, so eccentric and so different that they wouldn't even be compared to Simon.
  • achroachro Posts: 3,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't will begging for spot on The Voice a while ago? And was mad that they replaced him?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    achro wrote: »
    Wasn't will begging for spot on The Voice a while ago? And was mad that they replaced him?
    He wasn't begging for a spot, he was given it, then at the very last moment the powers that be decided they wanted someone else. Will wasn't happy about it, and who could blame him.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nobody like my Jared Leto, Adam Levine, Justin Timberlake and Enrique Iglesias idea?

No! :D