Christmas Top of the Pops 2013?

2»

Comments

• pete137pete137 Posts: 18,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed!

This year has been one of THE worst for music I have EVER EVER known!!

Same repeative awfulness...personally think BBC should let this show die now, it's been pretty much dead since bout 07/08 anyway

In terms of chart music I would agree with you. However there has been some fantastic music released this year that would never get near the top 40 (or top 100 for that matter). Does anyone care about chart music now ?
  • pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,098
    Forum Member
    Gaga, Katy and Jason Derulo are in the uk that weekend
  • welshboy89welshboy89 Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    Agreed!

This year has been one of THE worst for music I have EVER EVER known!!

Same repeative awfulness...personally think BBC should let this show die now, it's been pretty much dead since bout 07/08 anyway

Yep full agreement with you , 2007/8 was definitely the last when music was last at it's best.

TOTP as a weekly run ended at the right time and should have remained a defunct show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pete137 wrote: »
    In terms of chart music I would agree with you. However there has been some fantastic music released this year that would never get near the top 40 (or top 100 for that matter). Does anyone care about chart music now ?

To be honest, I actually don't...I just meant in terms of chart music and for the show itself it's one of the worst!
    Forum Member
    I must admit I haven't been as impressed with this years music, it's been alright, but I preferred previous years (2012 was actually one of my favourites in a long time)
  • RPMRPM Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get really hacked off with people saying axe it, should be dumped, etc. If you don't enjoy it then is it really such a big ask for you to avoid 1 hour of TV per year? Some people enjoy it so get off your opinionated high horse! :yawn:
    Forum Member
    Heya I went to two of the 4 sessions to my delight, was a fantastic experience and here's a bit more of a detailed report;

FRIDAY

We arrived at 11, we queued up in the already quite short queue (expected it to be longer)

After 15 minutes I went to sit down and suddenly Ronan Keating and Shane Lynch got out of the car and spoke to us all before going into the studios.

10 minutes after that Keith Duffy came out of his car and I managed to get an autograph which is pretty cool.

We got stickered (I was 17) and got told we could go away and come back or queue, so I decided to stand by the entrance and try and do some celebrity spotting.

When we queued back up to get into the bar we waited 15 minutes then walked into the main studio.

The set is pretty much the same as last year, Snowflake stage, Mirrorball stage and Tinsel stage with the 3 classic TOTP logos around the studio (which was amazing)

The warm up guy Danny was hilarious, really liked his way of getting us all warmed up.

After Danny's warm ups he introduced us to Reggie and Fearne who commented on Reggies tartan trousers saying he's going commando amongst other things (Reggie is absolutely hilarious, I didn't expect it)

Then we were introduced to The Saturdays, Rochelle said she was scared of a wardrobe malfunction after the top was revealing.

Vanessa kept waving at people (including myself), after singing 'What About Us' twice, they soon left, they were better than I expected, but a lot of the singing was backing track.

We then moved over to the Mirrorball stage where Chase and Status and Moko performed their songs Fearne pointed out that we were having a Christmas day rave in her signature accent that has been spoken about on various impression programmes,

Moko is an absolutely fantastic singer and delivered an incredible performance.

We were all told that a stage would be made in the middle of the audience for Boyzone,after it was set up we all stood around getting ready for the performance which was very good from them boys, they sung 'Love Will Save The Day' we were told they'd be back later.

We then moved onto the tinsel stage where James Blunts band was getting set up, I was a bit "meh" about James, so wasn't looking forward to this one.

He came on stage and because I was front row started chatting to me, Fearne did her link but did it wrong, but James performed anyway, he sung Bonfire Heart which was a great performance.

He was told he had to do it again, to which he replied "Let's hope Fearne doesn't **** up this time" in a jokey way which got us all humoured up.

Fearne redid her link to James and we watched it again, I must admit, I'm now a fan, he was fantastic!

Next up we had to stay in this stage for Boyzones second performance which was a Christmas song, dunno what it was called but it had "hark now here the new kings born today" and "the night before Christmas" in it I think.

We then went over to the snowflake stage where we saw Rudimental and Ella Eyre sing 'Waiting All Night' twice, you can tell Ella is going to be HUGE.

Next up was the final performance from Chase & Status and Jacob Banks, which will be shown on New Years Eve, was a very fun performance, Jacobs voice is incredible, can't fault it!

We left the studio sad that it was all over, our lift hadn't arrived yet so we as down at the bar and was passed by The Vamps, I was very starstruck as I'm a big fan of theirs at the minute.

My sister in law went out for a cigarette and ended up meeting Ella who gave her an autograph, which was nice!

We ended up sitting in the foyer where all the stars were walking in and out (Rizzle Kicks, Vamps, James Arthur) we met The Vamps and I blanked JA when he tried to communicate with me.

We then spoke to a nice man called Matthew who gave us two tickets to see the show on Saturday morning, which we were delighted about!

After a long traffic journey home and a sleep, we were back there at 11 on Saturday!

A lot of people were rejected yesterday which was a shame, but we got in.

When we got in we had the same routine from Danny which was still funny and got our new years hats on.

First up were Little Mix, now if anyone knows me they will know that I don't like them, but I hate t say it, they were actually quite good (I'm actually seeing them tonight again)

After they left, we had the first performance from Ellie Goulding, who sung Burn.

Every time she said burn fire went into the air, which was very warm as you can probably expect.

She then moved into the middle stage to sing 'How Long Will I Love You', which she smashed, after two recordings of it, she left, before she went she said bye to me after I said it to her, and hugged a fan which was lovely of her.

Then it was time for Tom Odell, who was absolutely fantastic singing 'Another Love'

We had London Grammar up last, not my sort of music but they were good, after them I turned round to notice I was standing right next to Fearne and Reggie, I spoke to Reggie who was amazing!

After the show was finished we left for the foyer, I then met Tom Odell who signed my makeshift autograph book, he was lovely, whilst he was signing my sister in laws book, John Newman came over to talk to Tom, so we got his autograph too, we had a chat and I said I saw him at V in August and was seeing him tomorrow night (tonight now), he told me it would be a good show and signed our books, was a genuinely lovely guy!

I went outside and met one of London Grammar before we left Riverside Studios for the last time that year, I will miss our celeb spotting experiences!

Two fantastic days of TV and music,was amazing experiencing it all, am definitely trying for tickets next year!
  • fugitivefugitive Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The two annual TOTPs are on at

Christmas Day 2.00pm
    New Years Eve 5.30pm
  • EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RPM wrote: »
    I get really hacked off with people saying axe it, should be dumped, etc. If you don't enjoy it then is it really such a big ask for you to avoid 1 hour of TV per year? Some people enjoy it so get off your opinionated high horse! :yawn:

Didn't you know - there are people who are of the view of "I don't like it, so it shouldn't be on television"?
  • RandomPeter94RandomPeter94 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't notice this thread so I might as well post what I posted in the other thread.

I like TOTP, but I really it the specials need to be done better.

For a start, I would have 15 performances in an hour episode with hardly any presenting link times (about 10 seconds in between most of each performance). One flashback of the year time is fine, I don't mind that. Then have a countdown of the Top 20 (Christmas Top 20 in Christmas, and most popular 20 tracks of the year for NYE) and obviously then the number 1.

Also, I'd bring back classic theme tune. Have a 2013 version of the original theme (I think it's the original). Here is the 1998-2003 version here, you'll know what I mean as they did a late 90s version which was really good. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWiKV7onnzc New titles would be good, something made for TOTP for 2013 itself, not relying on all the past titles.

Also, I would have the camera work and editing done in a way to fit with the mood of the type of the song. And the lighting. For example, I'd have all the Calvin Harris, LMFAO type songs done with a very clubby atmosphere. Look at 1:36 - 2:12 on the Don't You Worry Child Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y6smkh6c-0, the atmosphere fits perfectly with the music. TOTP should deffo do the same (lighting, editing, camera work (was in which camera is showing at what point)) It needs to be done in a very 2013 way.

Not sure if I want Reggie and Fearne to present either, as much as I love both of them. Seems they are both doing it again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Just a quick enquiry. Has anyone heard anything as to whether TOTP will return this Christmas Day as in previous years? If so, do any of you think it is past its sell by now and do schedulers need to look at something else to fill a bit of time with on Christmas Day/

I haven't heard or read anything about it this year. The last couple of years they've had a New Year's Eve edition too.

Just let people watch classic xmas editions.
  • fugitivefugitive Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The two annual TOTPs are on at

Christmas Day 2.00pm
    New Years Eve 5.30pm
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They normally show it on Christmas Day. they did last year.
  • Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Remember when Channel 5 showed the 1985 Christmas TOTP in its entirety about 3 years ago? I wouldn't mind them doing that again for a different year. Considering I was 7 in 85' I actually remembered nearly all the songs featured.
  • Robert WilliamsRobert Williams Posts: 2,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »
    They normally show it on Christmas Day. they did last year.
    And for the last 46 years! It's the only programme to have occupied roughly the same slot every Christmas Day since 1967. Not even The Queen has managed that (no Christmas message in 1969).
    The Christmas 1978 special is on Christmas Eve, then Christmas 1977 and 1978 again on Christmas Day, both BBC Four.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00704hg/broadcasts/upcoming
  • MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't notice this thread so I might as well post what I posted in the other thread.

I like TOTP, but I really it the specials need to be done better.

For a start, I would have 15 performances in an hour episode with hardly any presenting link times (about 10 seconds in between most of each performance). One flashback of the year time is fine, I don't mind that. Then have a countdown of the Top 20 (Christmas Top 20 in Christmas, and most popular 20 tracks of the year for NYE) and obviously then the number 1.

Also, I'd bring back classic theme tune. Have a 2013 version of the original theme (I think it's the original). Here is the 1998-2003 version here, you'll know what I mean as they did a late 90s version which was really good. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWiKV7onnzc New titles would be good, something made for TOTP for 2013 itself, not relying on all the past titles.

Also, I would have the camera work and editing done in a way to fit with the mood of the type of the song. And the lighting. For example, I'd have all the Calvin Harris, LMFAO type songs done with a very clubby atmosphere. Look at 1:36 - 2:12 on the Don't You Worry Child Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y6smkh6c-0, the atmosphere fits perfectly with the music. TOTP should deffo do the same (lighting, editing, camera work (was in which camera is showing at what point)) It needs to be done in a very 2013 way.

Not sure if I want Reggie and Fearne to present either, as much as I love both of them. Seems they are both doing it again.

TOTP nowadays lacks a fair few elements:

1) Charismatic presenters - Remember the likes of John Peel, Janice Long, Kid Jensen, Tommy Vance, etc. Janice and John brought an air of charisma to the show, with their double act. Fearne and Reggie well.....
    2) The buzz and excitement - The show does not feel exciting anymore and the buzz has certainly gone.
    3) The roar and enthusiastic audience - remember when you used to see the audience dancing around the acts? The roar of the audience at the end of a song? Does not happen anymore.
    4) Overall look of the show is a chaotic miss match. Whilst it is nice that they nod to past glories with use of old logos and titles. Would prefer they settled with the early 80's theme (yellow pearl) and circular neon logo, which has proven to be the most iconic. With many young people nowadays living out the 80's (even though they were not around) in terms of fashion, style and music tastes, it would make sense to return to the look of this popular musical era.

An example of past glories - Xmas 1983:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wac0Efe93fo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf_qS0kvRBo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZa3KlZgiP4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk9laYxhleI

To sum up I look forward to repeats of TOTP on BBC Four but could not care much for the 2013 Xmas TOTP.
  • tvsatweektvsatweek Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How did you get tickets
    Forum Member
    I like the logo :D
  • LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AcerBen wrote: »

Very Dance Anthems! I really miss TOTP :cool: