American Soccer Star makes up dead girlfriend

JaccobabeJaccobabe Posts: 27,879
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://deadspin.com/5976517/manti-teos-dead-girlfriend-the-most-heartbreaking-and-inspirational-story-of-the-college-football-season-is-a-hoax

This is really really interesting. I don't believe for a second he wasn't in on it.
Will be interesting to see what happens next. If anything will.
Story is extremely well written

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    That is one long read but...wow. Utterly bonkers.
    I can't believe he never met the woman in all the time they were supposed to be 'together', so I find it hard to believe he wasn't in on it.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,195
    Forum Member
    American Football.
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    I do wonder how much he knew, and when he knew it. It's quite possible he found out, but went along with it out of embarrassment at being set up by his friend.

I also wonder what punishment can really be given if he was in one it, although the NCAA aren't known for logic on such issues...
  • JaccobabeJaccobabe Posts: 27,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is one long read but...wow. Utterly bonkers.
    I can't believe he never met the woman in all the time they were supposed to be 'together', so I find it hard to believe he wasn't in on it.

It was a long read, but well worth it (IMO)
    They're speculating on him being gay which is not unlikely, just sad if he feels like he has to do such a thing.

Of course pretending to have a gf is one thing but to kill her off is quite another. Bit weird to say the least...
    dee123 wrote: »
    American Football.

Sorry about that. Always confuses me :(
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a strange tale!
  • NotaTypoNotaTypo Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    American Football.
    Hand Egg:D
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,195
    Forum Member
    Jaccobabe wrote: »
    It was a long read, but well worth it (IMO)
    They're speculating on him being gay which is not unlikely, just sad if he feels like he has to do such a thing.

Of course pretending to have a gf is one thing but to kill her off is quite another. Bit weird to say the least...

Sorry about that. Always confuses me :(

Not a problem :)
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very odd but it will make for a much more interesting TV movie.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    NotaTypo wrote: »
    Hand Egg:D

Armoured American Throwball
  • DeanDSDeanDS Posts: 1,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually the best bit of this story is Deadspins response to Donald Trump congratulating them

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2013/01/donald-trump-deadspin-manti-teo-story.html

He tweets them offering his congratulations, they reply @realDonaldTrump Go f*** yourself
  • JaccobabeJaccobabe Posts: 27,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Story still very much alive. They had a piece about this on CNN this morning.

Apparently he keeps saying he didn't know anything about this and really loved this girl (he never met), and that she "died" in September, and then she called him in December and said she faked her own death because of some drug dealers, and that's when he got suspicious and told the Notre Dame management about it and they started investigating. Hmm...
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Apparently he keeps saying he didn't know anything about this and really loved this girl (he never met), and that she "died" in September, and then she called him in December and said she faked her own death because of some drug dealers, and that's when he got suspicious and told the Notre Dame management about it and they started investigating. Hmm...

Sounds like he's digging himself a deeper hole.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a really odd story. One of the strange aspects is that if he knew about it all being a fabrication, why did he continue with the pretence? By the sounds of it, he's very good at his sport, so would've got noticed any way.
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member

Well, it's certainly more inventive then 'the dog ate my homework', but about as believable mind you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://deadspin.com/5976517/manti-teos-dead-girlfriend-the-most-heartbreaking-and-inspirational-story-of-the-college-football-season-is-a-hoax

This is really really interesting. I don't believe for a second he wasn't in on it.
    Will be interesting to see what happens next. If anything will.
    Story is extremely well written

Thank you for posting this, I read it the day you did but haven't replied until now.

I'm not sure I believe the guy was hoaxed. He claims to have been madly in love with the girl. Surely if somebody you love is dying, you would make it a priority to go visit that person in hospital?!
    I know the excuse for missing her funeral, is that he had a game and she had told him to play, but again, surely you would want to visit the grave and lay flowers, or meet the family of the girl you supposedly love so much?
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess it depends how far away she was suposed to live? America is a pretty big country but probably would have been more convincing if she'd lived overseas. No still not convincing. What I don't get is why? Except to make Mormons look stupid?
  • Tfan26Tfan26 Posts: 6,829
    Forum Member
    DeanDS wrote: »
    Actually the best bit of this story is Deadspins response to Donald Trump congratulating them

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2013/01/donald-trump-deadspin-manti-teo-story.html

He tweets them offering his congratulations, they reply @realDonaldTrump Go f*** yourself

Never liked Trump, awful and arrogant.