Printer spools but does not print

printer Brother DCP6690CW, Dell Inspiron laptop, OS Windows 7 64bit

THE PROBLEM. The printer spools but does not print, although the document shows up briefly as printing in the print dialogue box.

I have tried all the obvious things including checking wireless connections and ports, stopping and restarting the print spooler, unplugging printer and restarting, reinstalling driver, restarting computer etc.

The printer itself is not the problem. No hardware issues are detected and it is online and ready. Ink and paper supplies are fine and it will print directly as a photocopier.

Any suggestions gratefully received, thanks.

Comments

• LoobsterLoobster Posts: 11,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The printer itself IS the problem.

If your print job spools and you see it momentarily go in and out of the print queue, that means that the printer has accepted the job. From there it's all down to the printer.

Something is happening in between the printer accepting the job and the actual print operation taking place.

Run some manufacturer diagnostics?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    Thanks, that helps me with where to start.
    How do I run the diagnostics?
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ginny wrote: »
    printer Brother DCP6690CW, Dell Inspiron laptop, OS Windows 7 64bit

THE PROBLEM. The printer spools but does not print, although the document shows up briefly as printing in the print dialogue box.

I have tried all the obvious things including checking wireless connections and ports, stopping and restarting the print spooler, unplugging printer and restarting, reinstalling driver, restarting computer etc.

The printer itself is not the problem. No hardware issues are detected and it is online and ready. Ink and paper supplies are fine and it will print directly as a photocopier.

Any suggestions gratefully received, thanks.

Talking of simple: have you just tried turning the printer off and on?
    Forum Member
    Yes, and have held down power button to clear memory.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What happens when you try a test page directly from the printer?
    What happens when you send a test page to print?
    Forum Member
    Printer will print directly, but trying to print a test page from the laptop produces same problem i.e. it spools but nothing is printed. I get a message saying a test page has been sent; I see it show briefly in the print dialogue box but then it disappears into the ether.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    try a new cable? made sure the paper size is the same as the printer expects a4 v's letter?

try the printer on another machine as well so if it works ok on another you know its the machine not the printer at fault
  • cat's whiskascat's whiskas Posts: 877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you tried a reset?
    http://printercode.blogspot.co.uk/2011/05/printer-brother-dcp-6690cw.html

I used to have similar problems with a HP PSC 2110, after numerous resets (the problem kept coming back) I binned it.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all the suggestions and I've gone through them all, but with no success so far.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    try a new cable?
    Isn't it a wireless connection?
    Ginny wrote: »
    Thanks for all the suggestions and I've gone through them all, but with no success so far.
    So it doesn't work with another machine connected?
    Forum Member
    Problem solved!
    I deleted the printer and then added it again.
    Printer Properties now says its port is a WSD port, although the printer itself says it is still on its previous Standard TCP/IP port, which I don't understand but am just pleased to be able to print again.
    Thanks again.