O2 on 4G rollout

Comments

• jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Sounds good, now all they need to do is live up to their word and actually reveal their 4G price plans.
  • Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't help but think that O2's (or any other network's, for that matter) definition of 'mind-blowingly aggressive' is a tad different to that of the average customer.
    Something truly mind-blowing would require a level of investment that I can't see any of the networks being prepared to undertake.

Still, I could be wrong.
  • wrexham103.4wrexham103.4 Posts: 3,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *it's mind-blowingly aggressive compared to our UK 3G rollout."

So basically if you just want 3G on O2 forget it
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Given their 3G coverage could best be described as a damp squib that wouldn't be difficult :D

I would think 3G coverage improvements will be minor at best and probably concentrated on the haves rather than have nots.
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given their 3G coverage could best be described as a damp squib that wouldn't be difficult :D

I would think 3G coverage improvements will be minor at best and probably concentrated on the haves rather than have nots.

Yeah I can see them bringing a good 4G coverage and expecting everyone to simply pay extra so they can get good signal which is wrong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    enapace wrote: »
    Yeah I can see them bringing a good 4G coverage and expecting everyone to simply pay extra so they can get good signal which is wrong.

O2 has taken on Ofcom's coverage obligation which means that it must provide indoor coverage to 98% of the UK population by end of 2017. You probably wont see any improvement over 3G coverage untill 2017. Or untill 2018 when Ofcom threatens to fine them as usual :D
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    They won't need to bother with 3G if they do rollout LTE properly. They have the best 2G fallback voice network of anybody. Since a huge percentage of O2 users aren't intersted in data, they may just pull a really clever move meaning they can spend more of the cash that would have gone on 3G on LTE instead. Millions of 2G users will slowly move to LTE skipping 3G altogether.
    They'll have to get the pricing right though.
  • wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    They won't need to bother with 3G if they do rollout LTE properly. They have the best 2G fallback voice network of anybody. Since a huge percentage of O2 users aren't intersted in data, they may just pull a really clever move meaning they can spend more of the cash that would have gone on 3G on LTE instead. Millions of 2G users will slowly move to LTE skipping 3G altogether.
    They'll have to get the pricing right though.

Of course they will have to do lots of things but they wont loose sight of what they have and they will upgrade their 3G network as that will cost little to do and provide lots of additional capacity where they already have the infrastructure in place.

The deal sharing with Vodafone may alter O2's previous strategy as they may now have more economical access to shared sites which can be provisioned for the latest 3G data transmission.

I doubt if any network has abandoned 3G development and expect all of them to continue to extend coverage. O2 with it's 4G commitment may prioritise LTE on 800MHz but I'm sure they will also extend 3G during the process of sharing with Vodafone as that will provide them with additional bandwidth capacity that they already own and can use with the addition of equipment in extra locations.

It'll be very interesting to revisit this issue in 3-5 years and see what has transpired. I expect those who think what happened with 3G will be replicated with 4G and that 3G will be abandoned may be very misguided and may not have considered what has developed to date in terms of commercial success.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    They have the best 2G fallback voice network of anybody.

Really? I've found they are no longer the best especially in Scotland. It's close though, however at least with EE 2G you can hear the other person clearly....
    Forum Member
    Really? I've found they are no longer the best especially in Scotland. It's close though, however at least with EE 2G you can hear the other person clearly....
    I said they probably had the best coverage... I didn't say that it actually worked though.. Haha
    I would say that down here they certainly are the best. Whenever I go to some customer in the back of beyond and find I don't have a signal, that customer is nearly always on O2 because "it's the only thing that really works here".
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Devon: That shall change soon..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's something I found quite recently (Most people I know are on a EE network, 3 or Voda). Someone I know recently moved from 3 to O2 (Giffgaff) with the same handset and now I really cannot hear them when they call - just sounds all muffled.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    tpk wrote: »
    That's something I found quite recently (Most people I know are on a EE network, 3 or Voda). Someone I know recently moved from 3 to O2 (Giffgaff) with the same handset and now I really cannot hear them when they call - just sounds all muffled.

I've found the voice clarity on Vodafone to be particularly bad as well. EE operate HD voice so that may be why sound quality when making calls is a lot better
  • Nick_LondonNick_London Posts: 486
    Forum Member

Wrong!

Ofcom has made it clear Telefonica O2 must improve 3G in rural areas and expand coverage as part of the terms of receiving a 4G licence.

O2 3G is good when in an area with good 3G coverage, but O2' 2G beats all networks from basements to remote areas. At least they allow you access to BT Wifi as well as there own
  • Nick_LondonNick_London Posts: 486
    Forum Member

Both the Orange and T-Mobile networks are equally as patchy as each other. Phones that keep switching between the two signals constantly because of poor signal will miss calls.

The former T-Mobile network around here has got worse meaning I have a theory that EE is sabotaging it in favour of replacing T-Mobile 2G masts with 4G ones. Finding new locations,premises and getting planning permission is a lot of hassle. Amending existing sites sometimes doesn't need prior approval of local authorities.

The T-Mobile network in Northern Ireland has now permanently been switched off. All T-Mobile and Virgin customers now have to roam on Orange.
    Forum Member
    Devon: That shall change soon..
    What, because of the new dual polar antennas?
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Wrong!

Ofcom has made it clear Telefonica O2 must improve 3G in rural areas and expand coverage as part of the terms of receiving a 4G licence.

O2 3G is good when in an area with good 3G coverage, but O2' 2G beats all networks from basements to remote areas. At least they allow you access to BT Wifi as well as there own

You think?!! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wrong!

No they havent. But here are plenty of documents to wade through :D

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/spectrum/spectrum-awards/awards-archive/completed-awards/800mhz-2.6ghz/
  • exterraexterra Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    "At least they allow you access to BT Wifi as well as there own"

So does EE....
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    exterra wrote: »
    "At least they allow you access to BT Wifi as well as there own"

So does EE....

You are paying them as a mobile carrier though, you want phone services. That costs them pennies and is a token effort, rather than investing in a widespread high performance macro network.
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    You are paying them as a mobile carrier though, you want phone services. That costs them pennies and is a token effort, rather than investing in a widespread high performance macro network.

Agreed I don't to have to hunt down wifi points when I can be on Three with Unlimited 3G [Soon to be 4G] data. Three have the right attitude Data is probably most important thing on phone these days with a lot of things like whatsapp replacing texting.
  • paulkerpaulker Posts: 927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tpk wrote: »

O2 voice quality is in a league of its own crapness. Lol. Really poor. Its like listening to sound under water at times.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    3 going to 4G, not happening what they are in fact getting is 3G+, EE I understand are realigning their services and masts to use one for their tri band services so giving clarity to all services, that might be an intreasting concept, also O2, Voda et all may have to go through same process as EE to get their services running. Ah the fun of old technology which has been around in other countries along time and they are looking at 5G or the like.. Intreasting times...:D
  • PaulS67PaulS67 Posts: 12,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    4G on o2?

I would be happy if they gave me 3G or even EDGE
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    3 going to 4G, not happening what they are in fact getting is 3G+..:D

Do you not read press releases?

They are getting 4G LTE Q3 and will be branding it ultrafast under their already established DC-HSPA+ network. They will not charge a premium for 4G and you'll be able to access the network under existing and new price plans. Unlimited data is staying as well.

There is a good article in the FT's that outlines everything.