Why does downloading a game take so long? PS3

ChateauMarmontChateauMarmont Posts: 2,373
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm a novice when it comes to gaming, I prefer my iPad and IPhone for games. However I won a PS3 at work and got rather nostalgic and tried to download GTA 3 to it. However it's a 4gig download, doing this on my home wifi on my phone would take a matter of minutes but on the PS3 it's saying over three hours!

Any reasons as to why?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read that no matter how fast ur BB speed is, you won't get any faster than 5mb over wireless. Not sure how accurate that is though. Lots of others have asked the same question about why downloading from Psn is so slow.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    I'm a novice when it comes to gaming, I prefer my iPad and IPhone for games. However I won a PS3 at work and got rather nostalgic and tried to download GTA 3 to it. However it's a 4gig download, doing this on my home wifi on my phone would take a matter of minutes but on the PS3 it's saying over three hours!

Any reasons as to why?

if the router is N rated ps3 buy n ps3 only uses a G to test this if you have a good 15mb or something

Turn on ps3 download BBC I PLAYER over wifi then play a program (if you connection can handle a HD stream play anything for a few seconds (if it stops and starts turn ps3 off connect a ethernet cable the rewatch the same program from the start i guarantee it will be a lot faster.

in a word wifi on ps3 suffers from a lot of interference they all do but ps3 wifi is far worse
    use ethernet method in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_6T2oY3zhE (always use auto settings)

look for "ethernet cable" if you dont have one make sure is long enough to go ps3 from your routher
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It could be down to limitations at Sony's end, one of the criticisms of PSN is that download speeds are a bit rubbish, particularly at peak times. I hope they sort their infrastructure out in time for PS4.
  • ChateauMarmontChateauMarmont Posts: 2,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone for that! I was convinced it was a problem with my internet, even though everything else seems to be working fine for me
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Any reasons as to why?

It took me an hour to down load a 4gb game on the PS3 by wired BB.
  • ToytownAssassinToytownAssassin Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    4gb would take about 15 mins here. As long as the service isn't on a go slow which it often is. It should be faster as we have infinity but I dunno if the problem is just the network being useless or the PS3 not being capable of handling the data any faster. Given it takes as long to install as it does to download I suspect the latter.
  • dazbdazb Posts: 3,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes the Ps3 is rubbish with download speeds, i have Infinity wireless best i can get is about 7meg apparently you can only just get 20 if using ethernet. Hopefully with ps4 this will be sorted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4GB in a couple minutes? What the hell connection do you have!
  • Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Any reasons as to why?

It took me 12 hours to download GTA Vice City. So, to me it sounds like you're actually one of the lucky ones.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Any reasons as to why?

There's a considerable difference in file size between the different versions.

The PS3 version is more than 9 times the size of the iOS versions, so it will naturally take a lot longer to download .
  • jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    OP how fast is your internet suppose to be ? You've also got to remember things on PSN are much larger than what you would normally find on the apple store.

3 hours means your ps3 is connecting at roughly 3.5 Megabits speeds. If your on Virgin or infinity or any fibre optic service then this clearly a problem with the slow PSN network. However if you are not, an are on ADSL broadband; these speeds are perfectly reasonable.

Just to note it would take 6 minutes of very stable 100Meg virgin connection to download a 4 Gigabyte file so there is no connection available where you would get it in a couple minutes. There is also nothing on APP store that is 4 Gigs that I can think of so how are making the comparison ?
  • ChateauMarmontChateauMarmont Posts: 2,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I download a lot of files from work when I'm away that are several gigs of download, not App store. However I do remember GTA3 for the iPhone being quite a large file.

Anyway I am on ADSL and thought it would have downloaded a lot quicker than it has done, the install looks like it's going to take about 45 minutes. I did say at the start I have no idea of PS3's or why it was so slow.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have 10Mb connection and my the connection test on the PS3 normally ranges from 7-8 and actual downloads tend to back that figure up.

That is with wi-fi.