Capaldi to star in only one series?

November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
Forum Member
http://www.express.co.uk/news/showbiz/440539/Who-s-Next-New-Doctor-Peter-Capaldi-may-stay-just-13-episodes

I'm really, really hoping this isn't the case.

Obviously to be taken with a pinch of salt, especially as it's from The Express, but we can't be too sure of anything at this stage.

Comments

• krikkiter68krikkiter68 Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    As far as I'm aware, all the actors playing the Doctor in recent years have also signed one-year contracts. A case of the Express trying to spin a story out of nothing and failing, IMO. They should go back to their usual fretting about house prices... :D
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Read the Article.

The reporter
    • gets Moffat's name wrong

• states (with no source) that Capaldi will be in two series of 6 episodes and then quotes Moffat as saying he is in 13 episodes.

• states that we are about to get the 30th Anniversary of the show.

• Claims Moffat's quote about "It will offer the best ever entrance into the TARDIS." is about Capaldi and Series 8 when it is actually about the 3D in Day of the Doctor.

Not exactly a professional piece so I wouldn't bother taking it seriously.
  • LivingDestinyLivingDestiny Posts: 714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Literally just beat me to the thread, must have been seconds too late :o:p

Mods may delete/merge my thread, or whatever they do. :cry:
  • Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    Since he's a busy actor I don't think he will be The Doctor as long as Smith and Tennant. Maybe 2 series.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Already given my opinion on this 'news' story in the Spoilers thread, but;

Capaldi to star in only one series? Yep. And it's called 'Doctor Who'. :cool:

One series my eye.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »
    Read the Article.

The reporter
    • gets Moffat's name wrong

• states (with no source) that Capaldi will be in two series of 6 episodes and then quotes Moffat as saying he is in 13 episodes.

• states that we are about to get the 30th Anniversary of the show.

Not exactly a professional piece so I wouldn't bother taking it seriously.

Also, Capaldi is a lifelong fan of the show who landed his dream role when he was cast as Twelve, so it would seem odd if he only does one series, though it's not outside the realms of possibility. Only time will tell I guess.
  • rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no i think 2 series but 3 if he's enjoying it.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    rhynoGB wrote: »
    no i think 2 series but 3 if he's enjoying it.

Even two series would be a disappointment, three I could live with but any less would seem like a waste to me.
  • James_VickJames_Vick Posts: 632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What an utter load of bollocks masquerading as "news." So his present contract is for one year. So what? That is how most television contracts work.
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So looking at the article if we strip out all the "if" and "could" statements and accepts that most actors only do the job for a year at a time as the BBC only commissions the series for a year at a time(?) we are left with what ?

NEW Doctor Who Peter Capaldi could see his role as the Timelord finished after just 13 shows

..or he could stay for years to come.
    After that Capaldi, 55, will star in two series of six episodes each before waving goodbye to the Timelord - or signing a new deal depending on how popular he has been.

So actor does well in role and gets asked to stay ? Sucks, get asked to leave. Shocker...
    If he moves on he will follow in the footsteps of Christopher Eccleston's short 2005 run as the Doctor - which left many fans frustrated.

IF...if my granny had wheels she'd be a wagon.

Good grief how the hell does stuff this get publish for gods sake, it really is utter tosh.