Pauper View

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 813
Forum Member
✭✭
Nothing like a really crappy TV service in the midst of a recession to bring your spirits down!:D When is something exciting going to happen to this service? A new movie channel, something besides endless repeats of old tosh!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 395
    Forum Member
    jongruner wrote: »
    Nothing like a really crappy TV service in the midst of a recession to bring your spirits down!:D When is something exciting going to happen to this service? A new movie channel, something besides endless repeats of old tosh!

I though a pauper was a poor person or one who lives on charity..

It's just a never ending dilution of service and one where footballers earn more in a week than and average person in more than ten years. That's progress . . Disgusting eh? :cry:
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you receive BBC1, BBC2, ITV, Ch 4, Ch5? Anything else is a bonus, its FREE that is why it is called FREEview if you want more then subscribe to either Sky or Virgin who cater for those whose needs are more than the basics.
  • Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly - stop whinging. If you want more channels go pay for them.

There are plenty of people who are more than happy with what Freeview offers, many of whom could easily afford Pay TV if they really wanted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    Exactly - stop whinging. If you want more channels go pay for them.

There are plenty of people who are more than happy with what Freeview offers, many of whom could easily afford Pay TV if they really wanted.

I had sky though it was rubbish to much repeats and daytime tosh so i went back to freeview and has what i need only thing i miss is mythbusters which i can buy on itunes !
  • FloydoidFloydoid Posts: 377
    Forum Member
    pmh80 wrote: »
    only thing i miss is mythbusters which i can buy on itunes !

Mythbusters was on Quest for a while, but now all they seem to show is continuous repeats of American Hotrod/Chopper and similar stuff. Looked a promising channel when it started, but alas no more.
  • plane spotterplane spotter Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    The UK TV service is probably the best in the world. If you want a crappy TV service start by driving south over the border, then fly of to virtually any other country.

We have the best telly in the world.
    In the US what is broadcast is 90%
    drivel.
    A large percentage get telly by cable and
    the cost is a total ripp off .
    Diggers charges by comparison are a bargain.
    Plus despite my constant whinging about spectrum
    our terrestrial and sat broadcasts work well by comparison.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    Floydoid wrote: »
    Mythbusters was on Quest for a while, but now all they seem to show is continuous repeats of American Hotrod/Chopper and similar stuff. Looked a promising channel when it started, but alas no more.

Quest will most likely show Mythbusters again at some point
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,404
    Forum Member
    Caxton wrote: »
    Can you receive BBC1, BBC2, ITV, Ch 4, Ch5? Anything else is a bonus, its FREE that is why it is called FREEview if you want more then subscribe to either Sky or Virgin who cater for those whose needs are more than the basics.

Not only that, but on Freeview you get channels like Yesterday, Quest and Dave which have to be paid for on satellite and cable.

Notwithstanding Sky's recent dumbing down, there's still quite a variety of stuff to watch - see here http://www.freeview.co.uk/Channels - and there are movies on the general entertainment channels as well as Film 4. When combined with a PVR, there's usually something interesting or entertaining to watch at anytime.

I wouldn't mind more movies in the form of TCM 2 coming to Freeview but it's OK as it is.
  • derk weaselderk weasel Posts: 936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i personally think the one thing freeview does miss is a sports channel (i know sky sports 1/2 is on there but they are not free).
    it has general entertainment, music, news, movies, shopping, religion and even chatline channels. cant think of anything else that is missing apart from a sports channel
  • plane spotterplane spotter Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i personally think the one thing freeview does miss is a sports channel (i know sky sports 1/2 is on there but they are not free).
    it has general entertainment, music, news, movies, shopping, religion and even chatline channels. cant think of anything else that is missing apart from a sports channel

A sports channel on freeview will never happen as diggers sky sports is far too well managed and powerful .
    If there ever is to be a sports channel ITV is probably the only possible player.
    ITV is driving none sports viewers away to minority channels as they constantly are showing footy at prime time.
    In my family she who must be obeyed zapps the telly over to
    some brain destroying American produced drivel
    before I chirp can I watch the footy please.
    I have to record the footy and find a slot that I am allowed to watch.
    The time I am allowed is the 1 1/2 hours it takes she who must be obeyed to put her face on before we go out.
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=derk weasel;48582085]i personally think the one thing freeview does miss is a sports channel (i know sky sports 1/2 is on there but they are not free).
    it has general entertainment, music, news, movies, shopping, religion and even chatline channels. cant think of anything else that is missing apart from a sports channel[/QUOTE]

True, but there is quite a bit of sport scattered around on BBC1, 2, 3 and Red Button 301, ITV1 & 4 and Five Live, Five Live Sports Extra and Talksport. Something like British Eurosport would be a fine addition but l don't think it'll happen anytime soon.
  • sparkplugssparkplugs Posts: 510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The UK TV service is probably the best in the world. If you want a crappy TV service start by driving south over the border, then fly of to virtually any other country.
    You mate, just hit it on the nail spot on, I couldn't have said it better myself! :D What I especially like about our digital terrestrial television system is that the HD channels broadcasts at full 1920x1080i, whilst in countries like France and Australia, their HD channels on digital terrestrial television only broadcast at 1440x1080i at the most, and the don't even use DVB-T2 like us either! :D So I think that describing our digital terrestrial television system as "Pauper View" is absolutely dumb! :rolleyes:
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you go off looking for 15-month-old posts to reply to or do they just leap out and grab you? Always puzzled me! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kasg wrote: »
    Do you go off looking for 15-month-old posts to reply to or do they just leap out and grab you? Always puzzled me! :)
    Some threads just catch my interest and I like adding my thoughts to them. :) Sometimes, if I search for a random thing on Google, amongst the search results is DS forum threads on the topic, and they might be a bit old, but I like to add my thoughts nonetheless! ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "The UK TV service is probably the best in the world."
    "We have the best telly in the world."

These people need to travel. They're probably the same deluded folk that think the NHS is the envy of the developed world.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member

This sounds like propaganda :rolleyes:

How can you say that UK TV is the best in the world when you probably haven't watched any other countries' television stations? I would say a lot of the programming in the UK today are US shows.
  • MuzerMuzer Posts: 3,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Programming in the UK might not be the best. The only difference is, ours costs a lot less to watch ;)

Free TV is practically extinct in America (from anecdotal evidence; might not actually be the case).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    A lot of people like to slate UK tv and seem to think the grass is greener on the other side. I have lived in 7 countries over the years and what the UK has on offer, particularly for free (aside from the license fee) represents good value, For a couple of comparisons.. In the U.S. it was very noticeable how expensive it was to get a good range of content, the pay per view scene in particular is extremely expensive.. $40-50 for most big events, we get most of these in much cheaper monthly packages, When I spent time living near Cork, right on the south coast of Ireland, it was like getting a lift from Marty McFly in the Delorean and popping up in 1985.., without sky from the UK you were stuck with 4 channels and that was in 2006.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot of people like to slate UK tv and seem to think the grass is greener on the other side. I have lived in 7 countries over the years and what the UK has on offer, particularly for free (aside from the license fee) represents good value, For a couple of comparisons.. In the U.S. it was very noticeable how expensive it was to get a good range of content, the pay per view scene in particular is extremely expensive.. $40-50 for most big events, we get most of these in much cheaper monthly packages, When I spent time living near Cork, right on the south coast of Ireland, it was like getting a lift from Marty McFly in the Delorean and popping up in 1985.., without sky from the UK you were stuck with 4 channels and that was in 2006.
    I couldn't agree with you more, but I bet that the posters in this thread: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18596 would dare to argue with you saying that what you said is wrong! :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    i understand you have to pay a tv license to watch freeview, so how is it FREE:D
  • trilobitetrilobite Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    carl wood wrote: »
    i understand you have to pay a tv license to watch freeview, so how is it FREE:D

Nope - the licence is for the operation of a television receiver and/or associated recording device, irrespective of which platform is delivering the service.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No doubt that somewhere in the Freesat forum, there will be a "Pauper Sat" thread! :rolleyes::D
  • MuzerMuzer Posts: 3,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always wondered since I first saw this thread before it was resurrected... is "pauper view" meant to be an unfunny pun of "pay per view", or is it just someone making something that's supposed to be "shocking" and not even meant to be a pun at all? Whichever way you look at it, it speaks a lot about the intelligence of the OP ;)
    Forum Member
    Actually, Freeview doesn't do too badly in terms of channel variety when compared with what's on offer abroad:-

Ireland - Saorview: http://www.saorview.ie/help-support/faqs/saorview-channels/ (8 free TV channels)

France - TNT: http://www.tvnt.net/programme-tv-tnt-199.html (18 free TV channels)

Spain - TDT: http://www.formulatv.com/canales/ (22 free national TV channels + usually 1 regional TV channel)

Now go and compare that with what's available in the UK: http://www.freeview.co.uk/Channels

Freeview isn't that bad after all, is it?