The Karate Kid (2010)

Hassaan13Hassaan13 Posts: 41,965
Forum Member
The remake of the original Karate Kid film, which was released in 1984. It starred Jaden Smith and Jackie Chan.

Personally, the way it was set, and the storyline, it was a pretty fun movie to watch.

Anyone watched it?

Comments

• fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have them all on my PVR to watch but not seen any yet but will do soon when I get round to it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,428
    Forum Member
    I still want to know why the fight between Jackie Chan's Character and the Evil Rival Master was cut from the film and not shown. The film really needed that to complete the story. Plus the way the film is cut it looks stupid.
  • pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    They win through the students, so why does it matter.

Anyways the really hacked up version is the chinese censored version.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    I didn't really find it that good. Can't really remember why but it just didn't hold my attention. I prefer the older one :)
  • *Cadhla**Cadhla* Posts: 1,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found it a bit boring, but I was a HUGE fan of the original (especially Daniel - even wrote Ralph Macchio a fan letter at the time with an international reply coupon but he never replied...:cry: Never forgave him) so I didn't have high expectations. The Smith kid - Jayden?? - annoys me no end too.
  • seelleeseellee Posts: 10,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Karate Kid is one of those films that should never be remade. It's one of those films that isn't a masterpiece but people are very fond of. I grew up with it and it doesn't need an update.
  • RodriguezMan267RodriguezMan267 Posts: 28,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seellee wrote: »
    Karate Kid is one of those films that should never be remade. It's one of those films that isn't a masterpiece but people are very fond of. I grew up with it and it doesn't need an update.
    Will Smith would do anything to exploit his children even more. So after we have our Annie adaptation with Willow Smith, I'm expecting Oliver! with Jayden (Will Smith as Fagin of course), and then we will move onto The Sound Of Music with Will and Jada Smith as Maria and Georg.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member
    kyri wrote: »
    Will Smith would do anything to exploit his children even more. So after we have our Annie adaptation with Willow Smith, I'm expecting Oliver! with Jayden (Will Smith as Fagin of course), and then we will move onto The Sound Of Music with Will and Jada Smith as Maria and Georg.

I really don't think Will Smith is exploiting his children (if any of the parents would be exploiting I would have said Jada, not talented enough to do it herself so lives vicariously through her children) but I don't think these kids are being exploited more that they being spoilt and getting things that they are not exactly deserving of - not sure about the daughter, but the son hasn't been good in anything I have seen him in yet.
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's not forget he was using Kung Fu, what were they thinking?
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    The main problem (apart from JS and it not being Karate) is that he's too young. It worked in the US version because they were in high school, so young enough to be classed as young but old enough to be in gangs and kick the shit out of each other.
  • speedy_gonzalesspeedy_gonzales Posts: 1,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i thought it was okay,i think dre was just asking to be picked on with all that show off dancing he was doing in the playground.
  • jamespondojamespondo Posts: 6,040
    Forum Member
    Thought it was a really good drama, near enough on par with the original. The age thing didn't bother me, thought it was handled in a sensitive and believeable manner. The violence was a bit hard hitting but ok.

Not recycling characters, good young actors, comic touches, Chinese setting, nicely choreograped fight scenes and moral undertones. It's different enough to the original, could be classed as an unrelated sequel if desired.
  • Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liked Jackie's performance but found the kid irritating.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    It didn't bother me that they used kung fu instead of karate, I wouldn't care if they were bare knuckle boxing, but I just thought it was severely boring !
  • Hassaan13Hassaan13 Posts: 41,965
    Forum Member
    But what about the storyline? It does seem to differ a lot from the original and at least it brought a modern taste to karate/kung fu. And why are people so critical about Jaden (not Jayden)? I thought he played the part well.

In one scene at the festival, I don't think they should have pushed Jaden into kissing a Chinese girl. He was 11 at the time as it seems. What did you all think of that scene?
    Forum Member
    pocatello wrote: »
    They win through the students, so why does it matter.

Anyways the really hacked up version is the chinese censored version.

Yep, plenty of scenes were cut out.

I wonder if they will be showing it on TV any time soon.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,293
    Forum Member
    Nice scenery, good fight scenes, but inferior in every way to the original.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 472
    Forum Member
    good remake , fight scenes miles better !!
    Forum Member
    I reckon we all contact Channel 4/Channel 5 and ask them to show this movie as part of their 'teatime movie block' in the coming weeks (or whenever they've got rights).
  • DarthDorkDarthDork Posts: 898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I reckon I get my Blu rays out and watch the original(s). :)

Not a fan of the remake at all, possibly the age thing.

EDIT: Also, nice necro on the year old thread ;)
  • The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    A rare remake that outdid the original. Put aside nostalgia and the original is actually a pretty mediocre film to watch as an adult, with some terrible acting on display from many of it's contributors.
    Forum Member
    I contacted Channel 4 asking if they intend to screen this movie. They replied saying that they needed the rights first.

I think they need a bit more encouragement to get the rights :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Will Smith's son..and no i havent watched it, i would prefer the original, as that blonde lad is in it :D
    Forum Member
    Anyone else hoping to see it on terrestrial TV?
    Forum Member
    Well, my dream was realised - 6 months later :D

It's on Channel 4 - Sunday (21st), 7:30-10:15pm.