lost hibernate option

Hi all,
Currently have HP Compaq Presario A900. Following recent problem with screen constantly freezing (now resolved ) i now find that both the hibernate and sleep option icons have disappeared from screen. Any help in reinstating them would be appreciated. It was probably myself that caused it trying to solve the freezing problem but not being very tech savvy i dont know what i have done. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • comtalcomtal Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    Thank you David & Mac,maybe its just me but i still cant fix the problem. Have tried the fix it for me option and fix it yourself option with no luck. Have tried the powercfg prompt but it just brings up a black screen with no way to continue. It seems ill just have to make do with shutting down all the time. Thanks again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    This reply from someone called Shane on howtogeek.com fixed it quickly for me and many others it seems:

I found out how to get the hibernation option back with 10 steps. Of course remove/omit all the “”quotes”"! 1. Go to the command prompt icon in the Start menu under Accessories and right click the icon: click “Run as administrator”. 2. Paste: “powercfg.exe /hibernate on” and hit Enter and also paste “powercfg -h on” and hit enter just to be safe. 3. Open Control Panel and type in “Hibernate” in the Search. 4. Click “Turn hibernation on or off” 5. Click “Change advance power settings” 6. Scroll to and expand the “Sleep” option. 7. Select “Off” to the “Allow hybrid sleep” option. 8. Scroll to and expand the “Power buttons and lid” option. 9. Select “Hibernate” for the “Sleep button action” option. 10. Select “Hibernate” for the “Start menu power button” option.

From here:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/re-enable-hibernate-option-in-windows-vista/
  • REDBUSREDBUS Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    power options > change plan settings >change advance power settings and have good look/nose about in there ,if you need to change options/settings ,open each setting (press +) and change defualt by clicking on default setting for drop down menu and choose setting that you want
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,410
    Forum Member
    When you say you resolved your issue with the screen freezing, did you by any chance tinker with the graphics driver? Traditionally you have needed working display drivers to use hibernation, not sure if its still the case with Win7 but I would imagine so.

Best bet would be to try the latest display drivers from the HP website.