My thoughts on the iPad mini

Comments

• Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    And some of us got rid of our nexus 7's after getting the iPad mini. ;)

and the rest of us just chose to never waste our hard earned on the iPad mini at all ;)

:p
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jazzyjake wrote: »
    Hmmm this is true

Mini is £200 more i think since the 32GB version is £445 and the 32GB Nexus is £230.

It makes sense to go for the ipad mini since i have all my music on iTunes etc....but it is very expensive.

Difficult decision this is.
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    and the rest of us just chose to never waste our hard earned on the iPad mini at all ;)

I agree, if you cannot afford or want to spend your money on the more expensive mini then you would be silly to do so. I think the nexus is a very nice device and waited for the mini to come out so I could compare.

Having used both side by side, I think the mini is the nicer all round machine but the nexus is also very good.
    Forum Member
    which device do you have?

Me ?

I have a Galaxy Nexus and an Asus Transformer (the original model)
    Kids have 2 Nexus 4s
    Son has an ipod touch
    wife and daughter have iPod nanos
    Wife has an Arc S (horrible horrible thing)
    Family has a Nexus 7
    Family Touch screen all-in-one PC (Windows 8)
    I have a Windows 8 laptop
    Kids have netbooks
    Wifey has netbook
    We use 2 MK802's to turn old TVs into "Smart TV"s.

and im very tempted to a Surface Pro (I think im one of the few :p)

I work in IT and I love gadgets ... waiting for my Pebble Watch to be delivered :)
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    I agree, if you cannot afford or want to spend your money on the more expensive mini then you would be silly to do so. I think the nexus is a very nice device and waited for the mini to come out so I could compare.

Having used both side by side, I think the mini is the nicer all round machine but the nexus is also very good.

"afford" is very different from "choosing not to".

I can "afford" to send my kids to a private school. I "choose not to" purchase an iPad mini :rolleyes:

but we agree. both are 'nice' devices and you will never get a definitive answer on which is 'best' on a forum such as this as there is no such thing as 'best' ... just better for you ;)
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    No show from you I see.

4:3 would certainly be better for the web if the resolution was not 30% below the par.
    Claiming the more standard 16:10 Nexus is really 16:9 just adds to that exaggeration.

I can "afford" to send my kids to a private school. I "choose not to" purchase an iPad mini :rolleyes:

but we agree. both are 'nice' devices and you will never get a definitive answer on which is 'best' on a forum such as this as there is no such thing as 'best' ... just better for you ;)

That is why I said afford or want to spend your money. They are both equally valid reasons.:rolleyes:
  • tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member

However, I would be prepared to bet that if you took a 100 random people (who were not prejudiced one way or the other) that at least 90 of them would choose the iPad (this also assuming that you remove the Apple logo). This is of course my opinion and I know you will vehemently disagree.

BTW I can also "afford" to send my kids to a private school. I "choose to" purchase an iPad mini (because it is better, not because I can, or it has an Apple logo). I leave off the rolling eyes from my version because I also respect other people's opinions.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Fair enough :D
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »
    I am truly interested by what multiple stores give you (I've only used the play store). Are there apps which are exclusive to a single store? If so, that sounds the very opposite of choice:confused:

The main thing is you're not limited by what Apple or Google deem acceptable. Apple, as we know, have a long list of stuff they don't allow, ranging from stuff that duplicates existing functionality (though this one has fallen by the wayside), to apps that violate their payment rules by not giving them a large cut of any in-app purchases, to anything they deem 'adult' content. (And they deemed the 500px app too explicit to hold in their store)
    http://www.petapixel.com/2013/01/22/500px-apps-pulled-from-the-itunes-app-store-over-the-issue-of-artistic-nudes/

Meanwhile on the Google side, they have for instance a 'no gambling' rule for their apps.

So for example, Betfair, have to host their own app manually.
    http://www.betfair.com/onmobile/android-qr.html

Google's rules:
    http://support.google.com/googleplay/android-developer/answer/188189?hl=en

Apple's rules:
    http://stadium.weblogsinc.com/engadget/files/app-store-guidelines.pdf

Then of course their's the competition element. Having only a single store for apps, or music does nothing for prices. Amazon's app store regularly offers good discounts (or paid apps for free) so that benefits users too.

tdenson wrote: »
    However, I would be prepared to bet that if you took a 100 random people (who were not prejudiced one way or the other) that at least 90 of them would choose the iPad (this also assuming that you remove the Apple logo). This is of course my opinion and I know you will vehemently disagree.

And not borne out by sales either. Been a long time since Apple has had 90% of the tablet market share, very unlikely they ever will again.
    Forum Member

BTW I can also "afford" to send my kids to a private school. I "choose to" purchase an iPad mini (because it is better, not because I can, or it has an Apple logo). I leave off the rolling eyes from my version because I also respect other people's opinions.

It isnt better.

It might be better for you

but it isnt "better".

(neither is the Nexus 7)

Id love to know where you got your random 100 people from :p
    Forum Member
    Quite a nicely balanced debate here - worth a read IMHO.

http://www.macworld.com/article/2018711/ipad-mini-vs-nexus-7-the-debate.html

sums up pro's and con's in a nice 'real world' way and reasonably unbiased despite it being on Macworld :eek:
  • jazzyjakejazzyjake Posts: 1,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite a nicely balanced debate here - worth a read IMHO.

http://www.macworld.com/article/2018711/ipad-mini-vs-nexus-7-the-debate.html

sums up pro's and con's in a nice 'real world' way and reasonably unbiased despite it being on Macworld :eek:

Okay if i go for the mini is it worth buying the mobile one or just the wifi only.

I will be using it out a lot. I heard that you can use your iphone as a hotspot or something but i only get 750mb data a month, plus i am not too impressed with EE.
    Forum Member
    Okay if i go for the mini is it worth buying the mobile one or just the wifi only.

I will be using it out a lot. I heard that you can use your iphone as a hotspot or something but i only get 750mb data a month, plus i am not too impressed with EE.

Ive never gone down the 3G tablet route but if you want to get a 3G tablet (and use it in that manner) then you would need to pay a charge for this - either a fixed monthly fee or a PAYG allowance type charge. These are £10 a month upwards although im sure people here will have some good deals.

Ive always tethered to my phone - which can have the downside of being a bit of a battery hog.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It seems more a "lets give an Apple fan a Nexus 7 and see how confused they are by it" tbh.

Not knowing which screen the homescreen is doesn't exactly inspire confidence in their knowledge of non-Apple products.
    Forum Member
    paulbrock wrote: »
    It seems more a "lets give an Apple fan a Nexus 7 and see how confused they are by it" tbh.

Not knowing which screen the homescreen is doesn't exactly inspire confidence in their knowledge of non-Apple products.

No. some of the comments were a bizarre insight into that world but there were some sensible points made too :D
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    Ive never gone down the 3G tablet route but if you want to get a 3G tablet (and use it in that manner) then you would need to pay a charge for this - either a fixed monthly fee or a PAYG allowance type charge. These are £10 a month upwards although im sure people here will have some good deals.
    The "3" 3Gb/3-month PAYG mobile broadband SIM seems popular for tablets. Such SIMs can be bought for between £9/£12 (thus ~£3-£4/month) on Amazon/eBay.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ive always tethered to my phone - which can have the downside of being a bit of a battery hog.

What's the best network for a tablet

I have heard mixed reviews about 3mobile.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BKM wrote: »
    The "3" 3Gb/3-month PAYG mobile broadband SIM seems popular for tablets. Such SIMs can be bought for between £9/£12 (thus ~£3-£4/month) on Amazon/eBay.

Is 3mobile good?
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    Is 3mobile good?
    As all networks! Varies with exact location(s). Most people now seem to find Three fine->good.

They have invested quite heavily and are supposed to be a lot better than they were a few years ago. Their network was also 3G from the start.
    Forum Member
    Is 3mobile good?

The main rule is to check the coverage in your area (or areas you are likely to require connectivity).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The main rule is to check the coverage in your area (or areas you are likely to require connectivity).

Okay since i will probs go with Orange EE, do you recommend getting the ipad on contract or buying it outright?

TBH i can afford either option really but since i will be getting a sim only, will it make sense to get it on contract?
    Forum Member
    Okay since i will probs go with Orange EE, do you recommend getting the ipad on contract or buying it outright?

TBH i can afford either option really but since i will be getting a sim only, will it make sense to get it on contract?

Pass. Best to get that advice from an iPad owner. Things tend to work out cheaper if you buy them outright but there may be some Apple deals that work out better.
    Forum Member
    paulbrock wrote: »
    And not borne out by sales either. Been a long time since Apple has had 90% of the tablet market share, very unlikely they ever will again.

Sorry, I omitted a major parameter i.e. assuming that price is not an issue, or that they cost the same. I was only making the point that all things being equal I suspect most people would choose the iPad - that's certainly the case with any of my non techie friends I have shown the two devices to.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    Sorry, I omitted a major parameter i.e. assuming that price is not an issue, or that they cost the same. I was only making the point that all things being equal I suspect most people would choose the iPad - that's certainly the case with any of my non techie friends I have shown the two devices to.

What reason did they give? Being the same price isn't exactly realistic though is it?
    Forum Member
    ishAppy wrote: »
    What reason did they give? Being the same price isn't exactly realistic though is it?

You misunderstand my comparison. All through this debate I have always said the Nexus 7 is better value for money. My only point is that IMO the mini is "better" in the way that say a BMW is "better" than a Ford Mondeo when not considering value for money.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ishAppy wrote: »

the only thing I can see the mini having over the N7 (particularly if we're going with the hypothetical stick them both in front of a non-techie) is that its bigger, an equally silly way of comparing them, as obviously an 8" tablet is bigger than a 7" tablet. Likewise a Samsung Tab 10" is bigger than the ipad Mini, it doesn't make it better.

Apple fans can cling on to this "people only buy Android because its cheaper" but the market simply doesn't bear this out. Apple are trading on old glories.