How to approach my boss...

Brucie BonusBrucie Bonus Posts: 482
Forum Member
I am a care worker and currently working 6 days a week. Two or three days on my rota can mean working from 7am till 10pm, there are the odd breaks though. When they interviewed me I said I would like to have Sunday off and Friday evenings. It is a 0 our contract. This is the case but now 6 weeks into the job I am struggling seeing my family and feeling tired in general. I love the job but I must think of my health and family. I go to people's home to give them personal care which is something I'm passionate about. I want to do a good job but I feel I need another day off in the week. Health and family come first. I say family but we haven't got children. My wife, but I have a Mum is moving near to us soon. My point is I'm concerned my boss will say no "We are short staff and you've already given your days off when you signed your contract." Just preparing what to say really without moaning about the hours and the driving. Enjoying the job but I can't give 100% if I do 6 days a week. Any advice how to persuade my boss? Thank you.

Comments

• AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ask if you can have a chat first of all, then tell the boss how much you are enjoying the job, mention how passionate you are about doing a good job, but say you are finding the long hours very tiring and you would like to have another day off in the week so you can get your work/life balance right.
  • Brucie BonusBrucie Bonus Posts: 482
    Forum Member
    Thank you. Sounds simple on paper. I know they are short staff, people are leaving and sickness is being taken by carers. Be a struggle I think the day off but I'll gve it a go.
  • Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you. Sounds simple on paper. I know they are short staff, people are leaving and sickness is being taken by carers. Be a struggle I think the day off but I'll gve it a go.
    The fact that they are short staffed could also work in your favour, they would be worse off if you left completely, better from their perspective to give you a bit more time off.
  • AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A six day week is a lot of hours, and it's not unacceptable to request a bit more free time. I hope your boss is understanding, and realises you will be a more productive employee with more rest and relaxation time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Regardless of wether you have children or not care work is a bloody tough job and if you're feeling the strain its not fair on yourself or the people you care for, I'm not saying you're not providing top care but I know its a very hard job both physically and emotionally and its vital you have time to relax away from that enviroment when youre feeling the strain.

I would ask to speak to the boss, just explain that you're loving the job, you're not looking to have lots of time off but you would appreciate the odd weekend off to spend with your family, time to just relax away from work, they cant deny you that, its in their best interest to provide you with suitable hours too.
  • Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How many hours a week are you actually working?
    Forum Member
    How many hours a week are you actually working?

Thank you all for what you have been saying. Sorry, I gave in my rota last Friday. I worked from 7am till 10.30pm twice. There was a 3 hour gap during the day. Would have been 3 days but I said I will only do the morning/afternoon shift. 3 days working from 2pm till 10.30. With an hour break. One day 7am till 4.30pm. I do have to drive in between calls and only paid for the time I'm with the service user.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you all for what you have been saying. Sorry, I gave in my rota last Friday. I worked from 7am till 10.30pm twice. There was a 3 hour gap during the day. Would have been 3 days but I said I will only do the morning/afternoon shift. 3 days working from 2pm till 10.30. With an hour break. One day 7am till 4.30pm. I do have to drive in between calls and only paid for the time I'm with the service user.

How many hours in total have you worked over the last four weeks? Don't forget to include any breaks in your calculations.

I know it is a bit of a palava, but it is quite important. Also, have you signed a "working time directive" waiver?
  • maxsimaxsi Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see it's domiciliary care so your driving time isn't counting towards paid hours... Plus the afternoon not working time... I bet if you actually work out your paid hours it will be around 35... This is the problem with some domiciliary care businesses ... Very unfair ....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maxsi wrote: »
    I see it's domiciliary care so your driving time isn't counting towards paid hours... Plus the afternoon not working time... I bet if you actually work out your paid hours it will be around 35... This is the problem with some domiciliary care businesses ... Very unfair ....

According to the WTD, travel time during working hours is included.
  • maxsimaxsi Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to the WTD, travel time during working hours is included.

But not paid... With WTD all you need to do is sign it... I bet it was included in stuff that was signed when they took the job without realising
    Forum Member
    I'm not doing it for the money either! :-) Yes, it works about about 35 hours a week, which doesn't sound much, less then an average working week but spread over 6 days. I did sign a waiver.

By the way there is this working regulation:

•A minimum Daily Rest period of 11 hours uninterrupted rest between finishing your job and starting the next day. (Workers aged between 15-18 are entitled to a minimum daily rest break of 12 hours).

Now and again I get home at 10.45pm and leave the house at 7.30pm. I didn't release this until I did some research? Are Care Workers exempt? As really I should start work the following day at 9.45am.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That 11 hour break is from when you finish work, not from when you get home.

You might find you've signed out of that, though. Think it used to require a separate signature from your contract of employment, though. Worth checking.