What were the Spice Girls Like as a 4 member group?

MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
Forum Member
Just out of curiosity? probably more for the big fans, than the haters

What was it like seeing them perform as 5 girls for 2 years and being such a huge 5 member brand & Band to suddenly being 4 girls at a concert where you were expecting them all??

Vocally Geri wasnt amazing IMO but she was definitely a big part of that group

Comments

• MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
    Forum Member
    No fans or just noone cares :p
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ok whilst still doing stuff clearly intended and planned when they were a five piece, disastrously awful when they tried to switch to an R 'n' B sound. The end followed soon after.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    When they did the Wembley Stadium shows as a 4 piece it was Ok but not as good as the arena tour with the 5 of them. I also saw them as a four piece at Earls Court "in the round" on their Christmas tour (the R&B stuff) and that didn't work for me at all. Despite Geri's shortcomings she was a huge part of the group and certainly on stage it needs all 5 of them to work.
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It kind of worked.. "Goodbye" was such a good song and "Holler" was an interesting new direction. But then they released that stupid song "Let Love Lead The Way." I do wonder though how long they would have lasted if Geri hadn't left.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    I've seen the Spices 4 times - World Tour 1997, Christmas in SpiceWorld 1999 and twice for the reunion in 2007 and 2008.

For me - I was so P'd off with Ginger leaving that I really didn't care she wasn't on the third album and not part of the Christmas tour. However I do agree with comments above that she was such a massive personality in the group than the 'magic' element was not there. I loved seeing her during the reunion shows.

As for the music, I was not a fan of Forever when it came out however I started playing it again after the Olympics performance and it is still in my cd player- it still sounds incredibly fresh after all these years. I reckon there were a couple of good single choices such as Oxygen and Right Back At Ya but it wasn't to be.

If they did come back without Posh, it has to be with excellent material, good promotion and a commitment to their music (I think they lost their motivation when Forever came out) and have a totally different sound to the current crop of Girl Groups such as Girls Aloud, The Saturdays, Little Mix etc..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They lost their spark over time. They suddenly went all R n b on us.. Remember "hollar" .. And it just wasn't them.
    In a way they also lost their Spice image ... Scary lost the leopard print, sporty lost the track suit, etc... They tried to grow up 2 fast. it didn't work as a 4 piece. Even look at the cd cover for "Forever" they don't look like a fun group...that was also reflective in their music.
  • Steve_HarrimanSteve_Harriman Posts: 1,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i only saw them twice both times with four memebers. first time i saw them was at sheffield . it was there first uk gigs without Geri. it was amazing and didnt even miss Geri one bit. second one was at manchester at christmas once again amazing and didnt miss her. i like the forever album and i think the sound was better without Geri. However i can not help to think that if Geri was on the forever album it would of sold a lot more
  • DizzleDizzle Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They were changing as a band before Geri even left. Then when she did leave it just wasn't the same. They lost their image, their old material sounded dated, their new material was too different, it was a lose/lose situation.

It was always going to be a problem for them in the long run because of their instant success. For them to call it quits after Goodbye would have been the best move for them in retrospect.
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,104
    Forum Member
    I thought their music was okay without Geri, but lacked any fun. It just felt like they were putting a brave face on things, pretending like everything was fine while all looking fairly sullen and lacking energy.

Even though Geri was my favourite member I'm still mad at her for leaving and can understand why the other girls were furious with her. I mean 2/3 years isn't a great amount of time and I think the Spice Girls could have lasted another few years if Geri hadn't left. I think she had a huge influence over the group and they wouldn't have been so r'n'b with her still there as I don't think Geri would do that at all. lol
    Judging from their solo careers it's clear that Geri is probably the best at the larger than life, bubblegum pop that was a main attraction of the Spice Girls.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Geri and Mel B were the pulse of The Spice Girls. If any of the other three left then it wouldn't have been as damaging.
  • WhisperingGhostWhisperingGhost Posts: 4,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a huge fan, they were rubbish imo. Dull, defensive, arrogant, music was awful. Geri leaving was like the heart being ripped out of them. She was (and now is again) the life & soul of the party, so to speak.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    Spice Girls as a 5 piece was like going to Time & Envy in Romford..... Amazing.

Spice Girls as a 4 piece was like going to it's replacement Liquid & Envy..... No spark anymore.....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Their image went when Geri was gone. Any true fan would notice that.. Sporty got fat, Posh had an awful football shoe hair style, Mel B went mad (was she on drugs?), and Emma was just boring.
    They were lazy with promotional work as well - The Mel's did Asia/europe and Posh & baby did America. They weren't as quick when people were slagging off the spice girls in interviews. Geri was the best. She had the fun factor! She was a good laugh and always had an answer. She got the other girls going.

Without Geri the spice girls were just a group of 4 girls who would have been just like the Saturdays..
  • MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
    Forum Member
    Very interesting to see what people thought. Personally the way geri left was harsh and not fair to the other 4 and still to this day I believe she left simply because she wanted solo fame and was desperate enough to ride on the coattails of the spice girls success

Though she still can't admit this
  • HelloRainHelloRain Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They died as soon as Geri left (and she wasn't even my favourite). They became a boring, generic girl group like so many others and with the rise of popstars like Britney and Christina, looked completely passe by 2000. I enjoyed their Forever album as a child, but it wasn't a patch on their other two. I was kind of relieved they ended up calling it a day in early 2001, it was sad watching the formerly biggest pop group in the world struggling to compete against the likes of Westlife and S Club 7.