Series 7 DVD

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
Forum Member
I have bought several of the the previous series on DVD. For series 7, I havn't seen a complete box set on sale. With 5 and 6 they would release a series as part 1, 2 then 3, before releasing the entire series in one box set loaded with extras. I like to buy the most comprehensive version available, with all the extras and commentaries.

Anyone know if this will happen, will they they release series 7 complete?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    anyone? Suppose i will have to buy the seperate sets
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've heard that it will be out around October and it won't contain The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe so you'll have to buy that separately if you want it.
    Can't say all this as an absolute fact though.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I emailed the DVD publishers for peace of mind a while back and they simply told me 'Late 2013' for the Complete Series 7 box set. It will come without The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardobe... a decision that was poorly received here a little while ago, despite the generally low opinion of the episode itself.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I've heard that it will be out around October and it won't contain The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe so you'll have to buy that separately if you want it.
    Can't say all this as an absolute fact though.

What's the bad news?
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's the bad news?

If you want to have all the episodes in your collection for completeness, you have to buy this sub-standard episode on its own...
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    How long is it we usually have to wait for an official announcement of the complete series box sets?
    Forum Member
    I emailed the DVD publishers for peace of mind a while back and they simply told me 'Late 2013' for the Complete Series 7 box set. It will come without The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardobe... a decision that was poorly received here a little while ago, despite the generally low opinion of the episode itself.

Is that set in stone? If so it's a bad move, if you ask me, regardless of the (arguably) poor quality of the episode.
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They seem to have lost all direction with the complete series box sets since the end of the David Tennant era. The matt smith era is so fragmented but everything after the wedding of river song to name of the doctor should be on it.
  • PiippPiipp Posts: 2,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They seem to have lost all direction with the complete series box sets since the end of the David Tennant era. The matt smith era is so fragmented but everything after the wedding of river song to name of the doctor should be on it.

They seem to have lost all direction with complete series, never mind the accompanying box sets, lol. I agree though, it *should* include TDTWATW but it seems very unlikely it will.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most if not all previous box sets have been released to coincide with the Christmas market. With the 50th anniversary being in November as well, it would be amazing if such an obvious marketing tie-in was missed.
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Are we going to get any documentaries about the making of these episodes? I'd very much like to see how The Name of the Doctor was filmed. Also Nightmare In Silver would be great to see being filmed, as would The Angels Take Manhattan.

I know Doctor Who Confidential had been axed nearly two years ago, but it would still be nice to have small clips on the DVD set about how each episode was made.

DWC was one of the reasons why I got the complete box sets. I thoroughly enjoyed going through each 10-15 min 'Condidential' episode whilst lying in bed, relaxing at night before sleeping. Doesn't seem much point now. :(

Plus, The Doctor, Widow and the Wardrobe, I thought was brilliant! Claire Skinner was great as Madge Arwell. And the scene with Alexander Armstrong going through the vortex was emotional. I'm starting to get weepy just thinking about it.
  • hazelnuttwhikehazelnuttwhike Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    Plus, The Doctor, Widow and the Wardrobe, I thought was brilliant! Claire Skinner was great as Madge Arwell. And the scene with Alexander Armstrong going through the vortex was emotional. I'm starting to get weepy just thinking about it.

I loved it too. I think the perceived quality or popularity of an episode shouldn't affect whether its in a box set. I don't suppose that's actually anything to do with it not being included. It does seem pretty strange though!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    thanks for the replys everyone, dissapointed they are leaving an episode out, we should organise an email campaign to protest about it!
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I don't like the Christmas 2011 special but it seems really stupid not to include it though.
  • C. SamuraiC. Samurai Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    If you want to have all the episodes in your collection for completeness, you have to buy this sub-standard episode on its own...

DWATW isnt bad at all. It's just fashionable to dislike it 'cause it's not as action packed or as consequential as other episodes. I always find it a delight to watch. Some stories don't need to be full of angst and weight, there's a good message in that story.

Better than the Feast of Steven anyday
  • scumcatscumcat Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    C. Samurai wrote: »
    DWATW isnt bad at all. It's just fashionable to dislike it 'cause it's not as action packed or as consequential as other episodes. I always find it a delight to watch. Some stories don't need to be full of angst and weight, there's a good message in that story.

No, sorry in my opinion it was awful, but I have bought the blu ray on amazon for £6 free p&p to make up the collection.
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,467
    Forum Member
    i don't mind TDTWATW. It's sentimental, which I know is not to everyone's taste (these days it seems to be fashionable to cynical and unemotional), but I thought it was perfect for a self contained Christmas story.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GDK wrote: »
    i don't mind TDTWATW. It's sentimental, which I know is not to everyone's taste (these days it seems to be fashionable to cynical and unemotional), but I thought it was perfect for a self contained Christmas story.

I'm not remotely unemotional (I cried buckets at River's farewell in The Name of the Doctor). But the sort of emotion displayed in The Doctor in Narnia was the sickly sort.

Madge is so clever and can manipulate the Time Vortex just because she's a woman and a mother? Per-lease. Pass me the sick bag.

It was acted so badly as well, and Bill Bailey was wasted.

And how did the husband get away with stealing a Lancaster bomber and landing it on the lawn? "AWOL" springs to mind. Shot for cowardice probably.

It was all so twee - "humany-wumany"?! What was Moffat on? Whatever it was, he seems mercifully to have given it up since.

The last bit with the Ponds was fine - but I could have done without Madge's telling the Doctor to go and see them in that faux-sweet/stern voice.

99% revolting.

I didn't like it, in other words. :D
    Forum Member
    I'm not remotely unemotional (I cried buckets at River's farewell in The Name of the Doctor). But the sort of emotion displayed in The Doctor in Narnia was the sickly sort.

Madge is so clever and can manipulate the Time Vortex just because she's a woman and a mother? Per-lease. Pass me the sick bag.

It was acted so badly as well, and Bill Bailey was wasted.

And how did the husband get away with stealing a Lancaster bomber and landing it on the lawn? "AWOL" springs to mind. Shot for cowardice probably.

It was all so twee - "humany-wumany"?! What was Moffat on? Whatever it was, he seems mercifully to have given it up since.

The last bit with the Ponds was fine - but I could have done without Madge's telling the Doctor to go and see them in that faux-sweet/stern voice.

99% revolting.

I didn't like it, in other words. :D

^This.

And didn't The Doctor fall from space onto the Earth's surface at the start? That's ridiculous, even by Doctor Who standards.

Not to mention the non-ageing kids.

And why on Earth did The Doctor leave that "present" there? Surely it was tempting fate? :confused:
  • So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If 2 entertainment are quite happy to pretend TDTWTW never existed then so am I!

*sigh* oh if only the time cracks were real...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^This.

And didn't The Doctor fall from space onto the Earth's surface at the start? That's ridiculous, even by Doctor Who standards.

Didn't Peter Davidson come about because he regenerated after falling off a broadcast tower? Yet survived a fall from space with a suit that wasn't even on properly...

It was a ridiculous episode yet I bought it for £3 on blu ray at Christmas there, just out of completeness.
    Forum Member
    rua is god wrote: »
    Didn't Peter Davidson come about because he regenerated after falling off a broadcast tower? Yet survived a fall from space with a suit that wasn't even on properly....

He did indeed. I had the same problem with that fall in The End of Time (an even worse episode than TDTWATW, if you ask me), if that fall in Logopolis was enough to force a regeneration then surely these ones should have? :confused:
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rua is god wrote: »
    Didn't Peter Davidson come about because he regenerated after falling off a broadcast tower? Yet survived a fall from space with a suit that wasn't even on properly...

It was a ridiculous episode yet I bought it for £3 on blu ray at Christmas there, just out of completeness.

While I agree it was a bit of a silly idea they did actually state in the episode that it was an Impact Suit (ie one designed to protect the wearer from Impacts) rather than just a Space suit.

The 10th Doctor jumping out of a fast moving spaceship and plummeting to Earth (through a glass roof) without any protection whatsoever and then getting up with just a few scratches was far more silly.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    C. Samurai wrote: »

I tend to agree ... though I'll never be able to verify it visually. :(
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is death is the only answer going to be included on the s7 set? It did not quite make the s6 set for some reason.