Free Glasses

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,983
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I went to the opticians today for my free eye test, and they gave me free glasses AND sunglasses. I expected to pay, especially as they were designer specs, but no, they were free. Saved me a couple of hundred quid as they were varifocals :)

Comments

• PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Free is my favourite price.
  • chattamanukchattamanuk Posts: 3,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to the opticians today for my free eye test, and they gave me free glasses AND sunglasses. I expected to pay, especially as they were designer specs, but no, they were free. Saved me a couple of hundred quid as they were varifocals :)

Well done. What would you like to discuss?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done. What would you like to discuss?

OAP perks of course :D
  • AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can't get free glasses, if you're getting them on the NHS then you get so much off the list price. I think it's something around the £50 mark. Or is there some other way of getting them that I haven't explored?

Also, I'm pretty impressed with an Optician that can do your eye-test and produce two pairs of vari-focal lenses and fit them into your chosen frames on the same day. The last time I got my new glasses, about a month ago, I had to wait up to a week for the lenses to be properly fixed into the frames.
  • crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought this would be about the free McDonald's Coke glasses!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Azagoth wrote: »

Also, I'm pretty impressed with an Optician that can do your eye-test and produce two pairs of vari-focal lenses and fit them into your chosen frames on the same day. The last time I got my new glasses, about a month ago, I had to wait up to a week for the lenses to be properly fixed into the frames.

Agreed. No-one gets their glasses the same day as their eye-test. OP please tell me how I get them free. I'm on IB and still don't get them free.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Azagoth wrote: »
    You can't get free glasses, if you're getting them on the NHS then you get so much off the list price. I think it's something around the £50 mark. Or is there some other way of getting them that I haven't explored?

Of course I didn't get them today. The prescription has to be made up. 10-14 days although I agree, it should be quicker for OAPs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course I didn't get them today. The prescription has to be made up. 10-14 days although I agree, it should be quicker for OAPs.

You're an OAP then? I've still got 15 years to go. :cry:
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Where from. I have just paid £270 for a pair of varifocals. It would have been more but I laughed in the salesgirls face when she suggested "designer" frames - AS IF.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed. No-one gets their glasses the same day as their eye-test. OP please tell me how I get them free. I'm on IB and still don't get them free.

You get them free on Income Support, Income related JSA, Income related ESA, Pension credit guarantee credit or named on a HC2/HC3 certificate.

Every 2 years you get a free voucher for glasses (up to £40 or so IIRC- so you can get 1 pair of glasses from Specsavers etc.) and a free eye-test.
  • VinnienetVinnienet Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work. I pay for everything. I must be a mug!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    You get them free on Income Support, Income related JSA, Income related ESA, Pension credit guarantee credit or named on a HC2/HC3 certificate.

Every 2 years you get a free voucher for glasses (up to £40 or so IIRC- so you can get 1 pair of glasses from Specsavers etc.) and a free eye-test.

I'm not on any of those and our family income is too high for me to qualify for a HC2 or HC3.:cry:
  • Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    Vinnienet wrote: »

No, not a mug, just a young-un!!! ;)
  • IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nonsense and you know it.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not on any of those and our family income is too high for me to qualify for a HC2 or HC3.:cry:

It's a shit deal really, you would think IB would qualify - but I don't think you get free normal prescriptions on IB either!

Which is crap because you do get them on JSA/ESA/IS :confused:
  • calamitycalamity Posts: 12,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IM a pensioner and have to pay for my glasses. the full price too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    It's a shit deal really, you would think IB would qualify - but I don't think you get free normal prescriptions on IB either!

Which is crap because you do get them on JSA/ESA/IS :confused:

No you don't. I've to pay for all my prescriptions cos my wife works part-time now so we're just over the cut-off point for a HC2.
  • denzldenzl Posts: 871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yeah, but surely you wouldn't want to swap your life for the alternative of poverty + a free pair of varifocals. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ignazio wrote: »
    Nonsense and you know it.

So I failed at the first hurdle then? :D
  • calamitycalamity Posts: 12,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    like you I pay for everything , and dont work now..my old aunt on the other hand gets everything , free dentists, glasses and gets extra money for having arthritis. this is because she gets income support I think they call it.
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member

LMAO! :D
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calamity wrote: »
    IM a pensioner and have to pay for my glasses. the full price too.

So do I but I expect that is because I have worked damn hard all my life and put money in a private pension scheme to provide for my retirement.

But then, look at a scenario, if I was female around 21 and had four children after shacking up when and if I felt like it with every guy in sight, and had no idea who their fathers were and didn't care, I too might qualify for free specs and most other things free too. That is our wonderful benefits system.
  • Red WhineRed Whine Posts: 1,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you go to Vision Express they can make up a prescription in an hour, so it is possible.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    So do I but I expect that is because I have worked damn hard all my life and put money in a private pension scheme to provide for my retirement.

But then, look at a scenario, if I was female around 21 and had four children after shacking up when and if I felt like it with every guy in sight, and had no idea who their fathers were and didn't care, I too might qualify for free specs and most other things free too. That is our wonderful benefits system.
    I'm sure you'd rather be comfortably off though, and able to afford to buy whatever glasses you like, instead of living on the breadline and not having much choice of what the voucher affords.
  • IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well you took me in - so you're not a complete failure.:o:D