Back to Camelot, now with added Mackenzie Crook, Merlin S2 discussion, (6/4/2013)

Comments

• Avi8Avi8 Posts: 3,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is anyone else having problems accessing Bohemia's fanfic on the AO3 site ? I was reading Crown and Consort and bookmarked my page but when I went back to check for any updates Bohemia 's stories seem to have vanished. Does anyone know if this story has been published on any other fanfic sites ?

I tried googling it for you missyhoneybee, and it came up as also being posted on fanfiction.net but when I clicked on to the site, it said 'Story Not Found Unable to locate story. Code 1.'

So if anyone knows what code 1 means on FF, that might explain things for you.

It sounds like one of those things you hear on military or science fiction type programmes to me. Attention all personnel, we have a Code 1, I repeat Code 1.
  • NatarhiNatarhi Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously we disagree about the kind of love that Merlin and Arthur share, so I won't go into that again, but I think it's too simplistic to state that a person can't have two loves. What about love triangles (which happen all the time, certainly in literature - crikey, Gwen/Lance/Arthur is one, for a start). And while I agree that Arthur's love for Merlin isn't sexual (at least until the finale, when as far as I'm concerned all bets are off!), I still think they are soulmates and that Arthur loves Merlin every bit as much as he loves Gwen. :)
    Oh I totally think a person can love two people, but I don't think you can have two true loves. Especially not in the fairytale sense of breaking enchantments/epic romance type true loves which is obviously what we're considering here. :)
    To take your example of the Gwen/Lancelot/Arthur love triangle I would say in this version Gwen doesn't love them both in the same way or even at the same time (the only slight overlap being 2.04, but I'd argue she's not in love with Arthur at that point). Lancelot is sort of an instant attraction crush/lust thing that fizzles out when he runs off on her, her love for Arthur builds up to something bigger and much stronger (true love) over time. I'm much less familiar with the older versions of the Arthurian legends but Guinevere's role is completely different isn't it? Arthur sees her and picks her for his wife based on her beauty so it's not exactly a love match, and while she may grow to love him over their years of marriage I'd say in those versions her true love is Lancelot and that's why she cheats on Arthur with him. (In the stories he exists in.)
    As for Bradley's S5 interview, from memory it was a 'well, Arthur is married to Gwen now, so she has to come first' kind of statement. I interpreted it as more of a dutiful putting first than anything
    Oh no it wasn't! (Unless you are thinking of a totally different interview, of course. ;)) In the one I'm thinking of he is asked 'which is more important; the Arthur-Merlin bromance or the Arthur-Gwen romance?' and he says "For Arthur, I think when you find someone in your life who you love more than anything then you'll do anything for them, and I believe that Arthur would do anything for Gwen." (not a direct quote of the question, but a direct quote of Bradley's answer). I don't think there's any way to interpret that as him saying Gwen has to come first because they're married, he's saying that Arthur loves Gwen more than anything.
    My faves are S2, S1 then some of S3...then bits of S4...:)

Then way down here under the bottom of the barrel comes S5* because it sucked more than a giant Dyson imo.

* Happily for those who enjoyed this series I definitely won't be around for the re-watch and you'll be spared the spectacle of an old knight using language that would embarrass a fishwife :D
    That is exactly how I'd rate them as well, my good Sir. (Although I'd wager that our preferred bits from series 3 and 4 are different. ;))

I also shall not be staying around to re-watch most of series 4 or any of series 5. I think that my computer and/or television would probably suffer a nasty accident if I tried to watch it again. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lowri wrote: »
    The BBC has thrown another curveball and according to the not-as-reliable-as-I-thought radiotimes.com, the first two episodes of series 2 are on next saturday (6th)!
    Oh for flip sake! :rolleyes: Can't they just make up their minds?

What do people want to do then? Watch the first episode this Saturday (or some point over the Easter weekend) and then just episode 2 on the 6th-thus putting us back on track for one a week with BBC3, or wait anyway and watch both episodes on the 6th?

I'd vote for watching one this week and just one next, because I think there's quite a lot to say about both 2.01 and 2.02, so a double bill will be quite annoying.

Also I have nothing to do but stuff my face with chocolate this 4 day weekend. :D
  • LowriLowri Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Natarhi wrote: »
    Oh for flip sake! :rolleyes: Can't they just make up their minds?

What do people want to do then? Watch the first episode this Saturday (or some point over the Easter weekend) and then just episode 2 on the 6th-thus putting us back on track for one a week with BBC3, or wait anyway and watch both episodes on the 6th?

I'd vote for watching one this week and just one next, because I think there's quite a lot to say about both 2.01 and 2.02, so a double bill will be quite annoying.

Also I have nothing to do but stuff my face with chocolate this 4 day weekend. :D

Well it all depends on what they have planned for the following week which we won't know until it's too late! I won't be able to watch on saturday anyway so I don't mind if everyone else wants to get one ahead, I'm already behind with the last ep of series 1 anyway :o Can't believe I ever lived without a hard disc recorder for the tv!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it all depends on what they have planned for the following week which we won't know until it's too late! I won't be able to watch on saturday anyway so I don't mind if everyone else wants to get one ahead, I'm already behind with the last ep of series 1 anyway :o Can't believe I ever lived without a hard disc recorder for the tv!
    I think the good thing about this weekend is there's no need for it to be Saturday, we could easily do Friday or Sunday (or even Monday) if that will suit most people better. Then we can still do episode 2 on the 6th to match back up with the TV.

Although if they're going to start doing double bills every week I think we'll have to stop following along. It's just too much.
  • SideshowStuSideshowStu Posts: 11,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    star89 wrote: »
    Evening my good Sir *curtsies*

I wouldn't worry my good Sir.. they will be used to the language by then, from me after we watch 2x03 and 2x12 :o:p

Ah! 'Tis my fair ward and her equally feisty little maid *bows* :)

Hmmm...2x03 isn't that far off now is it? I've probably only watched it about 8 times this year :o so I might be a little rusty when it comes to arguing the finer points of the case :D

As for 2x12, if I wasn't already thinking unpleasant thoughts about Merlin I certainly was by the end of this episode and I never quite managed to shake off my dislike of the poor guy* right up to the end :o

* Naturally I don't mean Colin or the otherwise nice (but dim) version of Merlin that Colin potrayed :) I mean the unimaginative clod that the writers turned him into now and again :D

PS: I have to admit that my main reason for avoiding S5 isn't entirely because I don't want to spoil anyone else's enjoyment of the series (masochism is quite common these days :D) by my unnecessarily unpleasant observations...there's also the fact that my blood pressure doesn't benefit from the experience and I simply get tired of telling the TV to **** off! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although if they're going to start doing double bills every week I think we'll have to stop following along. It's just too much.

That's my thoughts as well. I wonder what the motive is for BBC3 to show these episodes? They haven't made a big deal out of it which you would expect if they were doing a "see Merlin from the start!" sort of thing, but there's nothing to aim for which is their usual reason for showing DW. Without a solid motive, I worry that they will just do whatever they like. Ironically, the last 13 weeks has been more consistent for broadcast times than the first run!
    Either way I'm grateful and it's handy for those who only started watching in the last series.
  • star89star89 Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah! 'Tis my fair ward and her equally feisty little maid *bows* :)

Hmmm...2x03 isn't that far off now is it? I've probably only watched it about 8 times this year :o so I might be a little rusty when it comes to arguing the finer points of the case :D

You don't need to worry about the finer points my good Sir because Star has it all covered ;)

I'd send you my post (for 2x03 of all my Morgana defense I've been collecting) but it takes up 4 PM's as there is a word limit.. which I discovered sending it to Natarhi :o:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh no it wasn't! (Unless you are thinking of a totally different interview, of course. ;)) In the one I'm thinking of he is asked 'which is more important; the Arthur-Merlin bromance or the Arthur-Gwen romance?' and he says "For Arthur, I think when you find someone in your life who you love more than anything then you'll do anything for them, and I believe that Arthur would do anything for Gwen." (not a direct quote of the question, but a direct quote of Bradley's answer). I don't think there's any way to interpret that as him saying Gwen has to come first because they're married, he's saying that Arthur loves Gwen more than anything.

No, I haven't read this before! Thanks for quoting it. The interview I remember is definitely Bradley talking about how Arthur is married now and therefore putting Gwen first. It's interesting that Bradley says all this, though, and I always believed that Arthur loved Gwen; I just find Merthur more convincing. And nothing will ever change my view that Arthur chooses Merlin in the end! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's my thoughts as well. I wonder what the motive is for BBC3 to show these episodes? They haven't made a big deal out of it which you would expect if they were doing a "see Merlin from the start!" sort of thing, but there's nothing to aim for which is their usual reason for showing DW. Without a solid motive, I worry that they will just do whatever they like. Ironically, the last 13 weeks has been more consistent for broadcast times than the first run!
    Either way I'm grateful and it's handy for those who only started watching in the last series.
    Well I guess even if they do show 2 a week it will be helpful because people without the DVDs *coughyoucough* can record them as they're broadcast and then we can just go at our own pace of one per week.
    No, I haven't read this before! Thanks for quoting it. The interview I remember is definitely Bradley talking about how Arthur is married now and therefore putting Gwen first. It's interesting that Bradley says all this, though, and I always believed that Arthur loved Gwen; I just find Merthur more convincing. And nothing will ever change my view that Arthur chooses Merlin in the end! :D
    I think the producers chose Merlin in the end (not Arthur). ;) But that is hardly surprising given their track record and desire to be dead fish going with the flow. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You don't need to worry about the finer points my good Sir because Star has it all covered ;)

I'd send you my post (for 2x03 of all my Morgana defense I've been collecting) but it takes up 4 PM's as there is a word limit.. which I discovered sending it to Natarhi :o:D

Really? :D M'lady won't be struggling for words on the re-watch then? :D

I don't think my appraisal of 2x03 will be quite so impressive but at least nobody will be left in any doubt as to where my sympathies lie...Or at least they would do if they didn't know already :D

*turns to Natarhi the Fair*

My dear Natarhi, I've decided to leave the viewing schedule entirely in your hands (a maid who can handle 5-6 swords at once can handle anything imo) and am more than happy to follow your lead :D
  • Keren-HappuchKeren-Happuch Posts: 2,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You will have to punch Merlin pretty fast because when we get to 2x03 I'l be strangling him :mad:

You wait till we get to the episode where Merlin lies to Arthur about his birth, I'll be coming after him with a chainsaw. I can understand why he did it at the time (sort of) but to never tell him the truth....:mad: My rage at that will almost be on a par with my rage when I think about The Episode From Series 5 That It Is So Awful It Shall Not Be Named.

Wasn't that at ColdCon? I remember watching that and I'm pretty sure it was at ColdCon because he was on a skype link talking to an audience.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I haven't read this before! Thanks for quoting it. The interview I remember is definitely Bradley talking about how Arthur is married now and therefore putting Gwen first. It's interesting that Bradley says all this, though, and I always believed that Arthur loved Gwen; I just find Merthur more convincing. And nothing will ever change my view that Arthur chooses Merlin in the end!

Arthur was dying, I don't think he had the energy to choose anyone :p

I do agree with you though that there was far more Merthur *cringes at writing that word* than there was Arwen in series 5.
    Really? :D M'lady won't be struggling for words on the re-watch then?

I don't think my appraisal of 2x03 will be quite so impressive but at least nobody will be left in any doubt as to where my sympathies lie...Or at least they would do if they didn't know already :D

When it comes to defending Morgana I'm not short on words no :p
    Although I'd like to point out my post is about 1x01 - 2x03 not just 2x03 but yes I think it took 4 PM's which I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) is a 1000 word limit so that makes 4000 :o

EDIT - Ok I just tested it out and the word count limit is actually 10000!! so that makes my post 40000 :eek::o
    You wait till we get to the episode where Merlin lies to Arthur about his birth, I'll be coming after him with a chainsaw. I can understand why he did it at the time (sort of) but to never tell him the truth....:mad: My rage at that will almost be on a par with my rage when I think about The Episode From Series 5 That It Is So Awful It Shall Not Be Named.

Oh that episode is past 2x03.. I'm not sure if there will be any Merlin left for you to chainsaw haha. I'l make sure to leave atleast some parts of him for you to saw ;):D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I guess even if they do show 2 a week it will be helpful because people without the DVDs *coughyoucough* can record them as they're broadcast and then we can just go at our own pace of one per week.

Oh dear Natarhi, that sounds like a very nasty cough you've got there, can I get you anything for that? :p

I've started doing internet surveys again so when I've got up to £60 of Amazon vouchers I'm going to buy the whole lot in one go! I'm £5 down already :) I've decided there's no point waiting for the complete boxset that might never turn up when it's the content that's important, not the presentation (although I still think they clash ;))
    EDIT - Ok I just tested it out and the word count limit is actually 10000!! so that makes my post 40000 :eek::o

:eek:
    If only I could find 1/10th of that for this assignment I should be writing...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *turns to Natarhi the Fair*

My dear Natarhi, I've decided to leave the viewing schedule entirely in your hands (a maid who can handle 5-6 swords at once can handle anything imo) and am more than happy to follow your lead :D
    *swoons at being addressed such*

Why thank you Sir Stu, it means a great deal to know I have the unwavering support of your strong sword behind me. :D
    Not telling Arthur the truth about his birth, perhaps not in that episode but certainly after Uther was dead, was the second most stupid decision Merlin ever made. (The first of course being The Line That Shall Nevermore Be Uttered Here from The Episode So Awful We Won't Speak Of It).
    Wasn't that at ColdCon? I remember watching that and I'm pretty sure it was at ColdCon because he was on a skype link talking to an audience.
    Yep. :)
    Although I'd like to point out my post is about 1x01 - 2x03 not just 2x03 but yes I think it took 4 PM's which I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) is a 1000 word limit so that makes 4000 :o

Actually I think it was only 3 PMs, so it'll be a mere snip at less than 30,000 words. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :eek:
    If only I could find 1/10th of that for this assignment I should be writing...

If your assignment has anything to do with innocent young ladies who have been betrayed then let me know and I'l help ;)

I'm very embaressed that the post is that long, god help you lot when we get to 2x03 :p:o
    Actually I think it was only 3 PMs, so it'll be a mere snip at less than 30,000 words. :D

3 was it? but did I send you the version with my conclusion or without it? :)
  • SmintSmint Posts: 4,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahem, it's a maximum of 10,000 characters, not words ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smint wrote: »

Ah thank god *wipes brow* I was terrified it was over 30,000 words haha.
    Ok don't fear everyone it's not that long :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

:eek: indeed :D

Sadly m'lady I must depart for the evening as Morgana wants me to get the toy box out so we can go to bed early and play some games together :)

Would you be a dear and keep Aithusa in your room tonight? It's just that it's difficult enough playing travel scrabble with the distraction of being in bed with Morgana but with her dragon glaring at me every time I put a good word down as well it's almost impossible to concentrate :D

Goodnight fair ward and minxy maid...and wish me luck! :D

*Walks out of thread with jaunty swagger that belies his age* :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If your assignment has anything to do with innocent young ladies who have been betrayed then let me know and I'l help ;)

I'm afraid not, it's on methods of endocytosis during mitosis.

You can always tell if I've got an essay to be writing because I spend far more time in here, hiding from it :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear Natarhi, that sounds like a very nasty cough you've got there, can I get you anything for that? :p
    Ooh, well if you're offering I wouldn't say no to a nice hot rum and ribena, to help soothe my throat and a knight nurse to get me off to sleep. ;):D
    I'm very embaressed that the post is that long, god help you lot when we get to 2x03 :p:o

3 was it? but did I send you the version with my conclusion or without it? :)
    You shouldn't be embarrassed, it's a very well written, well argued case. :)
    And, yes I believe I had the conclusion, although now I think about it that could have been in a fourth message.
    Smint wrote: »
    Ah, well that explains it. I didn't feel like I'd read 30,000 words. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :eek: indeed

Sadly m'lady I must depart for the evening as Morgana wants me to get the toy box out so we can go to bed early and play some games together

Would you be a dear and keep Aithusa in your room tonight? It's just that it's difficult enough playing travel scrabble with the distraction of being in bed with Morgana but with her dragon glaring at me every time I put a good word down as well it's almost impossible to concentrate

Goodnight fair ward and minxy maid...and wish me luck!

*Walks out of thread with jaunty swagger that belies his age* :D

No problemo *whistles Aithusa and hugs her when she comes running*

Goodnight my good Sir.. Please wish Morgana goodnight from me :)

You can always tell if I've got an essay to be writing because I spend far more time in here, hiding from it :D

*Star's eyes glaze over and shes distracted by something shiny* :p
    You shouldn't be embarrassed, it's a very well written, well argued case. :)
    And, yes I believe I had the conclusion, although now I think about it that could have been in a fourth message.

Ah, well that explains it. I didn't feel like I'd read 30,000 words. :p

Why thank you :)

Yes I thought that seemed alot hense why I thought the word count was 1000, but when I typed (copied and pasted) a long reply it then said to make it less than 10,000 I just assumed it meant words. So thanks Smint for clearing that up :D

Its still pretty long though :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooh, well if you're offering I wouldn't say no to a nice hot rum and ribena, to help soothe my throat and a knight nurse to get me off to sleep. ;)

Coming right up :)
    *Star's eyes glaze over and shes distracted by something shiny*

You're not the only one :o:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah. *nods head sagely* That old chestnut.

Goodnight fair ward and minxy maid...and wish me luck! :D
    Goodnight Sir Stu, good luck with your game of scrabble. I suggest you try playing endocytosis if you get the chance. ;):D
    Coming right up :)
    Yay! :D Thank you!! (I've not had someone fetch something for me before, it's rather nice. :))
  • Keren-HappuchKeren-Happuch Posts: 2,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *swoons at being addressed such*

Why thank you Sir Stu, it means a great deal to know I have the unwavering support of your strong sword behind me. :D

Not telling Arthur the truth about his birth, perhaps not in that episode but certainly after Uther was dead, was the second most stupid decision Merlin ever made. (The first of course being The Line That Shall Nevermore Be Uttered Here from The Episode So Awful We Won't Speak Of It).

And the third most stupid decision was not telling Arthur he had magic before he was dying (although really, that's the producers' fault). It just doesn't make sense that Merlin didn't think to mention it in the 3 years of peace, (I don't believe for one second that Arthur would have executed him and Merlin should have known that) unless he'd been taking lessons in cowardice from Gaius.